Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network music player

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

World's first 50MP SLR.

Old 09-07-2008, 14:49   #1
kryogenik

World's first 50MP SLR.

Hasselblad have announced that they will launch its new DSLR camera 'H3DII-50'. The World's first 50 megapixel camera.

Quote:
The company is boasting the world’s largest sensor with this latest product. It’s made by Kodak and measures 36×48mm, which is twice the size of the largest 35mm DSLR sensors.
The H3DII is capable of capturing images at 1fps while creating 300 MB files with an ISO range of 50 to 400. The camera has a laundry list of other features and accessories as you might expect including a wide range of lens choices, 3″ display, CCD cooling sink for noise reduction, GPS accessory and choices for file output and media cards.
£18,500 apparently..

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/07...dii-50-camera/
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2008, 14:59   #2
zing_deleted

Re: World's first 50MP SLR.

bet it still has a tiny ccd which will make it pointless lol

twice the size of normal sensors which means they have crammed 50mp on a ccd which really should not have more than 20 in fairness.
Old 09-07-2008, 14:59   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Wow, that is something else.

Well the size of the CCD is mentioned in the article.

Quote:
It’s made by Kodak and measures 36×48mm, which is twice the size of the largest 35mm DSLR sensors.
Old 09-07-2008, 15:01   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Which is still pretty small for a 50MP image wouldnt you say?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:02   #5
zing_deleted

I would I did see and edited lol
Old 09-07-2008, 15:07   #6
kryogenik

I doesn't *just* do 50mp. That's the max. It does 31, 39 and 50.
It's a high end pro camera. 50MP is probably stretching it a bit, but hell.
Still quite some technology.
Old 09-07-2008, 15:18   #7
zing_deleted

oh yes most deffinately a smart bit of kit
Old 09-07-2008, 15:24   #8
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Can anyone remember that landscape image that was taken of a city that you could zoom right into? Anyone remember what resolution that was in?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:27   #9
kryogenik

These?

http://www.xrez.com/

Gigapixel I think, but done by software?
Old 09-07-2008, 15:36   #10
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Google Earth must have the largest zoomable image - or, failing that, this 13 gigapixel stitched panorama:

http://www.harlem-13-gigapixels.com/

A vast number of pixels makes sense in a large sensor. After all, 96 megapixels in a full-frame 35mm sensor has the same density as 3 megapixels on a typical 1/2.5" sensor from a good compact.

http://6mpixel.org/en/

It'll soon fill up your hard disk though!
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:39   #11
kryogenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
That's pretty cool.
Old 09-07-2008, 15:39   #12
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff. Doesn't say specifically but does mention Gigapixel.

Still, with 10mp cameras for £70 these days, won't be long.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:49   #13
kryogenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
Yeah, that's the kind of stuff. Doesn't say specifically but does mention Gigapixel.

Still, with 10mp cameras for £70 these days, won't be long.
I know what you mean - I was thinking that the other day.
I use an EOD 400D and just getting into macro and stuff.
My lovely mum-in-law gets out this compact 10mp Cybershot and shows me some of the shots she's taken. Impressive really for such a tiny lens.

Sample Pics
Old 09-07-2008, 16:10   #14
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

With anything electronic, whether be digital cameras to TVs, I hate paying out too much for them as 1, they are outdated so quickly these days, and 2, no matter how well you look after the items today, they never seem to last like they used to. And it doesn't matter if you pay over the odds for the best, you'll want to upgrade in a year or so.

Only if you're into photography with a huge passion are SLRs and the likes are worth the money but as the post above says, a compact these days are getting a lot better for such a low price.

I'd have that cybershot over that 50mp anyday, at least then I'd have the balls to take it out and actually use it.
Old 09-07-2008, 16:32   #15
kryogenik

Fair points. That said, the 50MP jobby is aimed at pro commercial shooters and not something you'd be taking out to the seaside or whatever. The Cybershot aimed at maybe the occasional to amateur snap happy. I don't think you need to be into photography with a massive passion or bank balance to use say, a Canon EOS or a D-series Nikon digi-SLR. I take mine virtually everywhere. Only disadvantage is it's size, and it's not *that* big.
But yeah, they do get outdated quickly, and people will always want the newer gear. That's the market isn't it.
My EOS was my first (SLR) upgrade since an OM10 I've had for 25 years.