Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No Internet in Worthing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No Internet in Worthing

Old 08-02-2016, 17:09   #1
Off the Bit
Inactive

Off the Bit is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation No Internet in Worthing

Hi all

I'm in Worthing and have not had any internet service since Wednesday last week. I called 150 and they said it's "a really complex problem" that they can't give any expected time for it to be resolved by. It's supposedly an "intermittent" issue, but I've not had service at any time I've tried to access it since last Tuesday night. The superhub "looks" connected, in that all the usual lights are lit, and I've tried my old Virgin D-link router to check it's not the superhub itself that is broken.

Does anyone in Worthing have a similar problem, or better still, does anyone know what the actual problem is?

It's frustrating really because in six months of living in Worthing I've had more outages than in the previous five years at my old address. I'm using my phone as a hotspot but am getting through my data allowance fast.

Anyway, enough of my moaning! If anyone can shed any light on what's going on, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Off the Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2016, 21:06   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: No Internet in Worthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Bit View Post
Hi all

I'm in Worthing and have not had any internet service since Wednesday last week. I called 150 and they said it's "a really complex problem" that they can't give any expected time for it to be resolved by. It's supposedly an "intermittent" issue, but I've not had service at any time I've tried to access it since last Tuesday night. The superhub "looks" connected, in that all the usual lights are lit, and I've tried my old Virgin D-link router to check it's not the superhub itself that is broken.

Does anyone in Worthing have a similar problem, or better still, does anyone know what the actual problem is?

It's frustrating really because in six months of living in Worthing I've had more outages than in the previous five years at my old address. I'm using my phone as a hotspot but am getting through my data allowance fast.

Anyway, enough of my moaning! If anyone can shed any light on what's going on, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Call them up again and get a better answer. You got fobbed off by an incompetent agent.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:01   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I'm in Worthing ( Broadwater district ) and the only outage of recent times was the morning last month when they gutted the main cab and tidied up the cabling. They popped a card through the letterbox advising that an interuption was scheduled. My DS power went up 6dB. US down by 5dB. I guess they took out a splitter somewhere. I fitted an FPA to bring the DS level back to ideal.

Apart from that the ping monitor shows no outages.

The fact that they're doing work in the area may be the reason for your outages?
Old 09-02-2016, 17:00   #4
Off the Bit
Inactive

Thank you both for your replies. I have just got off the phone again and apparently they are relaying a cable because another company severed it. Apparently it will be fixed sometime today, which I will believe when I see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Call them up again and get a better answer. You got fobbed off by an incompetent agent.
Yes I think I did. The one I spoke to today at least seemed to know what he was talking about.
Old 09-02-2016, 19:25   #5
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yes I think I did. The one I spoke to today at least seemed to know what he was talking about.
Good, make sure you do call straight back in if it's not fixed. Also make sure you get credit back for your loss of service, the best way to make Virgin listen is to make them (literally) pay.
Old 11-02-2016, 17:32   #6
Off the Bit
Inactive

Unhappy Re: No Internet in Worthing

Quote:
The one I spoke to today at least seemed to know what he was talking about.
Maybe I spoke too soon. Still no internet, I rang them up yesterday and was told that "it'll definitely be fixed by Friday." Oh, and this time the reason for the downtime is different, it's nothing to do with a severed cable, it's that there's "too much noise" on the network in my area.

They insist that I should be only having "intermittent" outages, but I guess their definition of intermittent is different to mine. (To me, intermittent means that sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't, rather than no service at all for nine days. And counting.)

Anyway I am resigned to phoning them up again tomorrow, no doubt to be told that it will be "a couple more days."

I don't really want to leave for another supplier, but if it's not working soon then Virgin won't really be leaving me with much choice.
Old 11-02-2016, 19:11   #7
Kushan

Quote:
Maybe I spoke too soon. Still no internet, I rang them up yesterday and was told that "it'll definitely be fixed by Friday." Oh, and this time the reason for the downtime is different, it's nothing to do with a severed cable, it's that there's "too much noise" on the network in my area.

They insist that I should be only having "intermittent" outages, but I guess their definition of intermittent is different to mine. (To me, intermittent means that sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't, rather than no service at all for nine days. And counting.)

Anyway I am resigned to phoning them up again tomorrow, no doubt to be told that it will be "a couple more days."

I don't really want to leave for another supplier, but if it's not working soon then Virgin won't really be leaving me with much choice.
You're not getting anywhere with the agents. Time to bring out the big guns.

Email tom.mockridge@virginmedia.co.uk with what you've told us. He's the Chief Exec, his staff will expedite your issue and get someone to call you back with a proper answer and a proper response. 9 days is disgraceful and there's no excusing it.

What I think is going on is there is a noise issue in your area, which probably started off only causing intermittent connections so was raised as such but despite the fact that people clearly have no connection, nobody's had the sense to raise the priority. Tell Tom how long its been, how many times you've phoned in, how you keep getting a different reason and how you are disappointed with how you've been treated. Be nice, polite but firm and see what his team come back with.
Old 11-02-2016, 19:19   #8
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Unfortunately if there already an existing fault within your area which could be a damaged cable in your case then or if there is a fault ticket open because there is network noise being worked on then if you develop and fault on your installation as well then you won't get a Service Engineer until those tickets or any other tickets are closed.
Old 12-02-2016, 14:13   #9
Off the Bit
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Email tom.mockridge@virginmedia.co.uk with what you've told us. He's the Chief Exec, his staff will expedite your issue and get someone to call you back with a proper answer and a proper response. 9 days is disgraceful and there's no excusing it.
Thanks, I have sent him an email and will see what happens.
Old 15-02-2016, 15:08   #10
Kushan

Any update? I imagine they should have replied by now.
Old 15-02-2016, 17:09   #11
Off the Bit
Inactive

I received an email from a complaints manager saying that I would be updated by close of business today. Not heard yet so will be ringing them up. Still no service.

Edit:
I've just phoned them, the man was very polite but basically admitted they don't know when it will be fixed. It's got an ETA of tomorrow but, to quote him directly, "they're just rolling it over for another 24 hours each day." It was quite refreshingly honest compared to the other people I've spoken to.

I guess it's a case of me hanging on, or giving Sky/BT a call and taking it out of Virgin's hands. Annoying because up until two weeks ago I'd happily recommend Virgin to anyone, but there we go.
Old 17-02-2016, 17:49   #12
Off the Bit
Inactive

An update, I received a text this morning saying it was all fixed - I try to keep an open mind, but I was rather sceptical. Anyway, my cynicism wasn't misplaced, it's still not working.

Rather annoyed, I rang up asking to cancel, but was told that because I'm still under contract, I can only cancel when there has been no service for thirty days. So potentially I'm only half-way there. (Does that mean that one could have a contract for a year and only get 12 days of service, and Virgin would consider that acceptable?) A bit annoying because I've been with Virgin for years and only had to sign a new contract because I moved.

I was on the phone for 40 minutes and have at least got an engineer coming out on Friday. Apparently the outage was so big it means it's stopping the equipment connecting - I'm slightly dubious about this, but that's my cynical side creeping in.

Regardless, I'm either fifteen days away from ending my contract, or four months (when contract ends) - I can't see anything swaying me from going elsewhere when the time comes.
Old 17-02-2016, 18:16   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Probably won't make a difference, but try re-booting the Hub to see if this helps.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 18:18   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

sounds like there is an outage but you have a fault at the same time,
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 04:28   #15
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
sounds like there is an outage but you have a fault at the same time,
Lancing mini headend is still playing (ArrisE6k) catchup even last September when the "noise busters" had revamped my tab boards in Hove and had to scoot off to Lancing/Worthing to help the crew out there...
Not surprising even after about 10 Hub upgrades about 2 year ago that some nodes/cable segments are still shagged...par for the course...
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote