Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:02   #1606
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society
Re: The iPhone thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I'm with O2. TBH, the primary reason I stayed with O2 was that they offered free WiFi access via The Cloud and BT Openzone. Sadly, despite following O2's advice repeatedly, I cannot get OpenZone working. Apparently the problem is that my phone number is still registered to my previous phone. Perhaps that explains why my previous phone also cannot access BT Openzone (I sold it, but still have contact with the buyer).

There coverage is actually quite good both at home and work. There are major deadzones on my journey between home and work, but these affect all radio transmissions (even FM), and while O2 is affected, they aren't affected nearly as much as T Mobile are.

Coverage isn't perfect at work ,but I work in a 200 year old building with 4 foot thick walls. No mobile phone network offers 100% coverage inside our building. Even the access points for the WiFi network we offer have barely a 20 metre range.
I had the same problem when I had free WiFi access (something Three don't offer, and only a fad at Lakeside where I again couldn't get a signal on a Saturday afternoon - nothing like emailing your missus, hoping she too has her WiFi access set-up! ).

Anyway, I went through many iPhones on O2 (failure under warranty and two breakages) and I seem to recall having to text a shortcode - something like 8282 - and waiting for a reply text, and then waiting for it to realise my login as it was based automatically on phone number. Or maybe that was The Cloud? Either way, and I think it was Openzone, I'm surprised you don't get that sort of information when you try and login with your phone number.

Either way, I never used BT Openzone... usefully, BT have set-up all their BT FON routers on BT Total Broadband to also have the SSID BT Openzone, and that's not included in the O2 offer. Anytime you get connected to one, that's the end of your internet access unless you want to pay BT for access to some poor sod's internet connection!

Where do you travel through in South East London to lose FM signals - presumably from Crystal Palace and Croydon? I'm a broadcast engineer by trade so quite interested as a South East Lahdaner.

Either way, you should at least get 2G with O2 with their 900MHz allocations - that should get into all but the thickest tunnels on the Southeastern Greenwich line!
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2011, 01:13   #1607
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhnewark View Post
I had the same problem when I had free WiFi access (something Three don't offer, and only a fad at Lakeside where I again couldn't get a signal on a Saturday afternoon - nothing like emailing your missus, hoping she too has her WiFi access set-up! ).

Anyway, I went through many iPhones on O2 (failure under warranty and two breakages) and I seem to recall having to text a shortcode - something like 8282 - and waiting for a reply text, and then waiting for it to realise my login as it was based automatically on phone number. Or maybe that was The Cloud? Either way, and I think it was Openzone, I'm surprised you don't get that sort of information when you try and login with your phone number.

Either way, I never used BT Openzone... usefully, BT have set-up all their BT FON routers on BT Total Broadband to also have the SSID BT Openzone, and that's not included in the O2 offer. Anytime you get connected to one, that's the end of your internet access unless you want to pay BT for access to some poor sod's internet connection!

Where do you travel through in South East London to lose FM signals - presumably from Crystal Palace and Croydon? I'm a broadcast engineer by trade so quite interested as a South East Lahdaner.

Either way, you should at least get 2G with O2 with their 900MHz allocations - that should get into all but the thickest tunnels on the Southeastern Greenwich line!
Actually, I lose FM around the Catford area, on the train from Lewisham.

Anyhow, I did phone O2, and they did tell me to text that number, which I have done a few times.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:38   #1608
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

Quote:
Actually, I lose FM around the Catford area, on the train from Lewisham.

Anyhow, I did phone O2, and they did tell me to text that number, which I have done a few times.
Interesting - you're probably behind a bit of a hill there. But anyway, it's not excuse to lose the signal from O2!

Pleasingly surprised I remembered the number after a bottle of red, just shows how many times I've used it. Surprised it'd not solved your problem though - as I say, I went through about 6 or 7 iPhones on O2.
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 19:13   #1609
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Apple slipped out a developer's pre-release version (not sure if it's Alpha or Beta, but it's a way off of a full release) of iOS 4.3 last night.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/13/apple_ios_4_3/

Features reported so far:
Support for iPad 2 and iPhone 5 (pretty much a given that it would support these).
iPad: New gestures for navigating the pad (swipe left or right with four fingers to go to previous/next app, swipe with 5 fingers to go to home).
iPad: The switch on the side can now either mute the iPad, or lock the orientation of the screen (wish they'd implement this on iPhone).

The facility the Verizon iPhone has to act as a WiFi hotspot is to be rolled out to other iPhones (not sure of which models though). Seems this might be restricted to those who have the tethering option enabled by their mobile provider..

Also, it looks like MobileMe will be getting a new feature called "FindMyFriend". No official word on what this does, but it is logical that it's lie Google's Latitude, or Facebook Places.

Finally what I consider the biggy. The latest iOS SDK includes support for App Developers to use Airplay. Be interesting to see what they make of this..

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Quote:
Apple slipped out a developer's pre-release version (not sure if it's Alpha or Beta, but it's a way off of a full release) of iOS 4.3 last night.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/13/apple_ios_4_3/

Features reported so far:
Support for iPad 2 and iPhone 5 (pretty much a given that it would support these).
iPad: New gestures for navigating the pad (swipe left or right with four fingers to go to previous/next app, swipe with 5 fingers to go to home).
iPad: The switch on the side can now either mute the iPad, or lock the orientation of the screen (wish they'd implement this on iPhone).

The facility the Verizon iPhone has to act as a WiFi hotspot is to be rolled out to other iPhones (not sure of which models though). Seems this might be restricted to those who have the tethering option enabled by their mobile provider..

Also, it looks like MobileMe will be getting a new feature called "FindMyFriend". No official word on what this does, but it is logical that it's lie Google's Latitude, or Facebook Places.

Finally what I consider the biggy. The latest iOS SDK includes support for App Developers to use Airplay. Be interesting to see what they make of this..
In addition to this, it looks like it has camera facilities, which are presumably for the iPad 2.
Old 15-01-2011, 14:29   #1610
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

More rumours on the iPhone 5 & iPad 2:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/e...-apple-tv-and/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
But all of these moves are leading up to the iPhone 5 -- a completely redesigned handset -- which our sources say is on track for a summer launch. Right now, the device is being tested discreetly by senior staff at Apple (strictly on campus only). We don't have much info on the phone at this point, but our understanding is that the new device will be a total rethink from a design standpoint and will be running atop Apple's new A5 CPU (a Cortex A9-based, multi-core chip). This device, like the iPad 2, will feature a Qualcomm chipset that does triple duty as the CDMA / GSM / UMTS baseband processor -- from what we hear there's no LTE in the mix at this point.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 07:27   #1611
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

And if you get tired of the OS you can replace it with Android

http://www.redmondpie.com/install-an...ith-iphodroid/

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 20:17   #1612
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Apple prevents jailbroken phones/pads accessing iBooks:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...eak_thwarting/
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 18:36   #1613
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

The untethered Jailbreak for iOS 4.3.1 is out!

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/4332...of-pwnage-tool

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14561

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14562

Supports all iOS devices which support iOS4.3.1, except for the iPad 2.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:37   #1614
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Two security researchers in the UK have uncovered a disturbing truth. It appears iPhone 4's everywhere have been tracking their users movements with startling accuracy (unbeknownst to the users) and what is more, the ease at which this information can be deciphered is apparently as easy to open as say, a JPEG.
http://www.gsmarena.com/the_iphone_4...-news-2540.php
Old 21-04-2011, 08:42   #1615
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think people are taking this a bit too far. It's probably just to do with the find my iPhone feature that helps track your phone if you loose it.
Old 21-04-2011, 13:09   #1616
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Nobody mention the government and back handers.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 13:10   #1617
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

OK
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 15:59   #1618
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-tracking.html
Old 21-04-2011, 16:33   #1619
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think people are taking this a bit too far. It's probably just to do with the find my iPhone feature that helps track your phone if you loose it.
In which case, Android probably reports your location to Google, as I believe some Android handsets have a similar facility..

That's not an attempt to defend Apple. For the Find My iPhone feature, they need to know where it is now, not yesterday, so no need to store a database, unecrypted or not..
Old 22-04-2011, 19:17   #1620
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

http://www.gsmarena.com/why_ios_is_t...-news-2547.php