Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DLINK DWA-111 USB Adapter Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sharing pc drives xp pro headless

Old 07-04-2008, 17:30   #1
c_owl
Inactive

c_owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb sharing pc drives xp pro headless

hi all
i have a problem with sharing my drives on my computer in my network.
i made a xp pro headless system as a file sharing and backup pc, so all the computers in my house can backup to this computer.
after installing xp i set 4 drives for sharing, i can see these drives on my network and move file back and forward. after updating the pc on ms update website i went back in to the pc and shared another 2 drives. this is were the problem starts. i can see the drives on my network but i cannot gain access to them.
i have 6 drives that i can see but only able to access 4.
i have checked permisions for the drives and all is ok. but i did notice somthing. in computer management under shared folders. the drives i can access and do what i want there is 2 shared folder for the same drive( one of them being h$ the other being the name share) and the one i cant access there is only 1.
can anyone help with this:confu sed:
c_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 20:42   #2
c_owl
Inactive

c_owl is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: sharing pc drives xp pro headless

well i gave up with the wait on getting halp to solve this problem, i was up all night last night researching ways around this. in the end i did a new intall of server 2003 and made it a stoarage server, turning this in to a headless server was interesting. if anyone trys this stay away from the terminal service that somes with server 2003, i used vnc mutch better for complete remote access to the server.. my server is now in my loft and happy up there, im able to use the server for backups to for all my computers
c_owl is offline   Reply With Quote