Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unlimited VM HD Movies-On-Demand for £5 per month

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unlimited VM HD Movies-On-Demand for £5 per month

Old 02-07-2009, 14:23   #31
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: Unlimited VM HD Movies-On-Demand for £5 per month

Really? Hmm - the Virgin press release said:
Quote:
Most of the PictureBox films will be available in HD and many will not yet have been seen on free-to-air television in the UK.
Maybe the reason they haven't been shown on fta TV is that nobody wanted them...
Are any in HD? I'd consider watching Mystery Men and Jaws in HD, but won't be tempted on the strength of this selection
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2009, 14:30   #32
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Around half of them are in HD.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 14:40   #33
jamieh1979
Inactive

Services: VM XL V+ and extra box Vodaphone 8mb ADSL 3g Mobile 3g mobile broadband
jamieh1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jamieh1979 Send a message via MSN to jamieh1979 Send a message via Yahoo to jamieh1979

Does anyone have any idea what the launch date will be?
jamieh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 14:55   #34
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieh1979 View Post
Does anyone have any idea what the launch date will be?
Today.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 15:21   #35
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It is available now with 20 films in HD - a little under a half of them
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 15:29   #36
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Really? Hmm - the Virgin press release said:

Maybe the reason they haven't been shown on fta TV is that nobody wanted them...
Are any in HD? I'd consider watching Mystery Men and Jaws in HD, but won't be tempted on the strength of this selection

Sky has first pay TV rights, Picture Box secondary pay TV rights (for Universal releases), both enjoy a period exclusivity before they can be shown on FTA TV. Like Sky Movies, Picture Box also relies heavily on older non-exclusive library titles. About half of the available titles are in HD, Jaws included.

Film rights window;

Months 0-3. Cinema
Months 3-6. DVD / Download to own
Months 6-9. PPV (FilmFlex / SBO)
Months 9-12. No new release window
Months 12-27. 1st Pay TV window (Sky Movies)
Months 27-36. Second Pay TV window (Picture Box)
Months 36 onwards. Free TV window / Library VOD titles
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 15:31   #37
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

It's all a matter of taste but the list does have a "Woolies bargain bin" feel to it. They should really of negotiated with Picturebox for much stronger (newer, better known) titles on launch where they will inevitably get the most attention. I may subscribe since £5 is pretty decent value even if only 2-3 HD films are watched.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 16:36   #38
LiamTG
cf.addict

Services: TV XL Sky Movies Internet XL Unlimited telephone
LiamTG is infamous around these partsLiamTG is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
It's all a matter of taste but the list does have a "Woolies bargain bin" feel to it.

LOL

Still it's been said. £5 per month is a bar-gain!
LiamTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 17:30   #39
jab1990
Inactive

jab1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

It actually manages to make filmflex at £4 a pop seem like a bargain
jab1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 17:48   #40
sammyjayuk
Inactive

Services: M TV (SA V+), XXL BB, M phone, Pace Sky+HD (HD, Variety, Movies) & O2 iPhone 3G 35
sammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nice

As has been pointed out already, Sky hold exclusive first subscription window SVOD rights for much of Hollywood's output, seemingly because the studios package them with the linear rights. Getting the studios to "unbundle" these rights currently appears to be Ofcom's preferred option, although they seem prepared to force Sky to wholesale them if it comes to it.

As for value, it depends what you want to watch. Even if you only find one film a week that you want to watch, it could turn out to be better value that the postal rental services, which tend to cap at 2 or so discs a month at this sort of price. It's also vastly more convenient. I can see 2, maybe 3 films I'd probably watch now, and 1 from each week's new titles. I don't think that's too bad, for a fiver a month.

I think this probably was the surprise, and unlike some, I'm not disappointed by it. I don't know whether I'd subscribe - adding it to the basket on VM's website suggests that I'd have to take it for 12 months, and also I had to relegate the V+ to SCART so I could connect the Sky+HD box - but it's not bad.

Perhaps the biggest surprise - given that PictureBox has been available on BT Vision, Tiscali TV and Top Up TV for a while - is that it took so long for PictureBox to appear on VM!

Sam
sammyjayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 19:16   #41
jamieh1979
Inactive

Services: VM XL V+ and extra box Vodaphone 8mb ADSL 3g Mobile 3g mobile broadband
Send a message via AIM to jamieh1979 Send a message via MSN to jamieh1979 Send a message via Yahoo to jamieh1979

Anyone got a list of what is currently on in SD and HD??
Seeing that I am not prepared to pay what Sky want for their movie package, this seems like a bargain!

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Found a listing

http://www.picturebox.tv/virgin.php
Old 02-07-2009, 19:16   #42
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if you can watch them more than once in a month
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 19:21   #43
jamieh1979
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Unlimited VM HD Movies-On-Demand for £5 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Does anyone know if you can watch them more than once in a month
I am guessing you can watch them as much as you like if you pay the suscription.
Old 02-07-2009, 21:15   #44
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
This is the actual list, and is exactly what is showing in movies on demand now.
The movies change tomorrow (Friday) - click Forward 1 Week to see the first batch on Virgin. I've published a list of the ones in HD on the VMHD blog (link in my signature).
If this is a typical week, I think it's good value for £5 unlimited viewing, especially for those without Sky Movies subscriptions.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27   #45
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Dazed & Confused is classic!
SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote