Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Couldn't access FTP servers via Belkin router N+

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Couldn't access FTP servers via Belkin router N+

Old 16-02-2009, 17:06   #1
aldolat
Inactive

aldolat is an unknown quantity at this point
Couldn't access FTP servers via Belkin router N+

Hi guys,
it's the first time I write here. I am Italian, so... pardon for my possible errors.

I have just bought a Belkin N+ Wireless Modem Router (this one) in substitution of my modem ethernet D-Link 320-T.

The Belkin is working ok, except that I can't access any FTP site. I can surf the Web but can't use the FTP service. I use FileZilla or even the terminal to connect to the FTP, but I can't with the Belkin device. Tried to re-use the D-Link and all works fine.

Is there a setting I have to change in the Belkin's router admin panel?

P.S. I asked the Belkin support without success: they didn't know this problem.
aldolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2009, 18:32   #2
moggoly
Inactive

moggoly is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Couldn't access FTP servers via Belkin router N+

Try changing your MTU value from the stupidly default 1432 to the maximum 1500. Had exactly the same problem with a Belkin N+ ADSL router, and this fixed it straight away...
moggoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 23:30   #3
xocemp

Try forwarding ports 20 and 21
Old 19-08-2009, 23:33   #4
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldolat View Post
Hi guys,
it's the first time I write here. I am Italian, so... pardon for my possible errors.

I have just bought a Belkin N+ Wireless Modem Router (this one) in substitution of my modem ethernet D-Link 320-T.

The Belkin is working ok, except that I can't access any FTP site. I can surf the Web but can't use the FTP service. I use FileZilla or even the terminal to connect to the FTP, but I can't with the Belkin device. Tried to re-use the D-Link and all works fine.

Is there a setting I have to change in the Belkin's router admin panel?

P.S. I asked the Belkin support without success: they didn't know this problem.
A firmware upgrade might resolve this aswell.. What FTP program are you using?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 23:56   #5
moggoly
Inactive

@xocemp / @webcrawler2050 - do either of you have a Belkin N+ router?

Firmware upgrades or forwarding ports 20/21 have no effect on this issue. Even turning off the firewall on the router and placing your machine in the DMZ won't resolve this issue.
Old 20-08-2009, 00:04   #6
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

I used to have one at work. It was a git for FTP -

Ar eyou able to provide FTP logs?
Old 20-08-2009, 00:10   #7
moggoly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
I used to have one at work. It was a git for FTP -

Ar eyou able to provide FTP logs?
Yep, but not sure what benefit you'd get out of them. All that happens is that after sending PASV (if you're using a passive connection) then LIST, then whatever FTP client you are using will hang waiting for a data connection to be established. But this hanging will only occur if the total size of the data (eg a small directory listing) is quite small. Downloading a file or getting a listing from a directory with more than three or four items will cause the data connection to timeout. Yet when the MTU is upped to 1500, this hanging goes away completely....
Old 20-08-2009, 00:11   #8
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggoly View Post
Yep, but not sure what benefit you'd get out of them. All that happens is that after sending PASV (if you're using a passive connection) then LIST, then whatever FTP client you are using will hang waiting for a data connection to be established. But this hanging will only occur if the total size of the data (eg a small directory listing) is quite small. Downloading a file or getting a listing from a directory with more than three or four items will cause the data connection to timeout. Yet when the MTU is upped to 1500, this hanging goes away completely....
I'd be able to read through them, will give me a good idea, where the problem lays.