Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 27-11-2015, 19:55   #826
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

That is happening in most areas now (being pushed back) so why were VM so confident is saying 90% of the country was going to be done by years end if they knew the technical side of things weren't going to be in place in time? I am assuming there is a reason other than marketing otherwise they would have stuck to the same format/rollout schedule as they have done in the past. Something must have been different this time for them to say everywhere was going to be done in one go. I assumed they had got all the downstream capacity upgrades done in the first half of the year and then moved onto the upstream and with qam64 and the three upstream channel groups. (incidentally I lost my qam64 a few weeks ago and I am back to two qam16s).
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2015, 12:59   #827
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I disagree.

I needed to download a 2GB game update while out in town last month. I had the choice of 10Mbps free WiFi or 80Mbps over 4G, given the choice of waiting an hour in a WiFi zone or finishing the download on the bus, the latter was infinitely preferable.

Not to mention EE are handing out free SIMs that give you 100GB of free data a month. Even when I had to download a 4GB Windows ISO over 4G, my 5GB allowance is plenty.
Sure, it's great if you have a one-off big download that month but these days we've all got several big downloads. Surely you agree that it'd be preferable if your 5GB "cap" was less of a cap and more of a soft-limit, whereby after you hit it you just get reduced speeds until next month or something.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:19   #828
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Sure, it's great if you have a one-off big download that month but these days we've all got several big downloads. Surely you agree that it'd be preferable if your 5GB "cap" was less of a cap and more of a soft-limit, whereby after you hit it you just get reduced speeds until next month or something.
I disagree with your "we've all".

I don't.

Average usage on unlimited plans in the UK is still around 2-3GB/month.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 11:17   #829
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I disagree with your "we've all".

I don't.

Average usage on unlimited plans in the UK is still around 2-3GB/month.
If you're talking strictly mobile data use, then yes, but you're trying to compare your mobile to your landline speed - if you're going to do that, then you have to compare the usage on both as well. If people used the mobile networks like we use our landlines, you would not be getting close to the speed you do get.
Old 30-11-2015, 16:33   #830
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Well yes, I've been saying that myself for several years.

Still doesn't change the fact my mobile phone's upload has been faster than "fibre" for 9 out of the last 10 years.
Old 30-11-2015, 16:48   #831
Kushan

It does a little, you're comparing two different use cases.
Old 30-11-2015, 17:21   #832
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

No it doesn't.
Old 30-11-2015, 19:45   #833
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No it doesn't.
Is the five minute argument, or the full half hour?
Old 30-11-2015, 23:22   #834
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Huh?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:46   #835
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That was never five minutes!
Old 04-12-2015, 01:05   #836
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Just had a look at my virgin media and ours has gone to March 2016 as well. I just hope its been put back for work to be completed before releasing the speed boosts.
Date has changed again to January 2016. Had a letter last week advising of maintenance work on the 14th December, so perhaps more work is needed.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 03:32   #837
jj20x

Originally due by the end of November, then the end of December followed by the end of March 2016. Now saying April to June 2016. The level of incompetence with the management of this roll-out is stunning.
Old 17-12-2015, 08:02   #838
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

How is it incompetency?

Would you rather they just enable it and you have problems?
They have Clearly noticed an issue and need to work on it first. I'd be happier that they are making sure it's being ully resolved.
Old 17-12-2015, 09:33   #839
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

My dates have changed from 'between January and March' to 'end of January', so they do go in both directions.
Old 17-12-2015, 10:03   #840
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
My dates have changed from 'between January and March' to 'end of January', so they do go in both directions.
Got mine early too !!
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote