Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 20-09-2011, 15:43   #4966
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
It's not on my Sony LED.
Go into the picture settings and under the 'Screen' menu set the picture to 'full pixel'. Apart from anything you'll get a better picture on HD channels as it won't be scaling the picture.
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2011, 16:47   #4967
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Oh, just discovered another bug.

If I turn the subtitles on for any channel using the Subtitles button on the remote, as soon as I change to another one or go to EPG/other menu there is a thin vertical line of graphical trash (i.e stray pixels) on the right hand side. This persists across channels. This is only visible when the HDMI setting on the TV is set to Screen Fit, i.e. 0% overscan, so it occurs to me this bug wasn't discovered because whoever codes/tests the firmware had their TVs overscanned at least slightly. It disappears only when the unit is hard rebooted, i.e. switched off via the back panel not standby with the remote. Simply turning off the subtitles doesn't banish it.
It seems to be that once the trashy line appears down the right - press menu and then tv and its gone. Seems to stay gone for a long time too - maybe the next reboot.
Old 20-09-2011, 16:52   #4968
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Personally I'd be happy with consistent SMS-style entry on the numeric remote buttons because I don't use the search much. It's possible on the iPlayer app, but not on the regular TiVo menus
Agreed, and I hadn't realised it works with i player so thanks!
Old 20-09-2011, 16:55   #4969
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogodon View Post
I have a Samsung LCD 40" and I've noticed the issue with artefacts from subtitles. I was watching a recording with subs on and it left a horizontal grey bar on the picture.

This remained on all channels and would only go away by rebooting the Tivo. I guess it's some kind of compatibility issue with the Samsung TV.
I have just thought about this and all you need to do when this happens is:
Press Home (to go in to the menu) and the Thumbs down- Thumbs up and then Play Play Play. It will reset the UI and also get rid of the lines.

Hope this helps you
Old 20-09-2011, 20:07   #4970
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Does the same on my Sammy now and then, a channel change clears it for it.
Old 20-09-2011, 22:34   #4971
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Go into the picture settings and under the 'Screen' menu set the picture to 'full pixel'. Apart from anything you'll get a better picture on HD channels as it won't be scaling the picture.
I don't understand, what on my Sony tv or TIVO box?
Old 20-09-2011, 22:39   #4972
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Services: BB: 900 Mbps up/down (TOOB) Phone: Mobile (O2) TV: FreeSat
dbateman2k5 is on a distinguished roaddbateman2k5 is on a distinguished road

I have an LG 42" LCD TV.

Is there an option to do the same for no overscan ?
Old 20-09-2011, 22:41   #4973
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbateman2k5 View Post
I have an LG 42" LCD TV.

Is there an option to do the same for no overscan ?
Yes. I think it's 'Just Scan' on the LGs. I think it's in the Aspect Ratio bit

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

Quote:
I don't understand, what on my Sony tv or TIVO box?
On your TV
Old 20-09-2011, 22:43   #4974
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes. I think it's 'Just Scan' on the LGs. I think it's in the Aspect Ratio bit

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

On your TV
How do you do it?
Old 20-09-2011, 22:45   #4975
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Found the 'Just Scan' option.

What does this mean tho (as i'm guessing 16:9 will be 16:9 and 4:3 will be 4:3) ?
Old 20-09-2011, 22:48   #4976
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
How do you do it?
It varies depending on the model. On mine I press the Menu button then go to Settings->Display. Then I select Screen and under Display Area I select Full Pixel.

If you get stuck post the model number of your TV.
Old 20-09-2011, 22:50   #4977
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Found the 'Just Scan' option.

What does this mean tho (as i'm guessing 16:9 will be 16:9 and 4:3 will be 4:3) ?
Being slightly more technical as an HD picture is exactly 1920x1080 pixes (if 1080i) and a HD TV is 1920x1080 (if a 1080 tv) then 'Just Scan' means each pixel of the picture matches exactly with each pixel of the TV. This means you get the best quality HD picture possible

Otherwise your TV is Digitally zooming into the HD picture slightly, and an extreme example of how that can mess with a picture is the digital zoom you get on cameras
Old 20-09-2011, 22:53   #4978
borrissey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
It varies depending on the model. On mine I press the Menu button then go to Settings->Display. Then I select Screen and under Display Area I select Full Pixel.

If you get stuck post the model number of your TV.
Sony 55" EX723 LED
Old 20-09-2011, 22:53   #4979
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Ah ok.

My TV is 1080p, tho TiVo is using 1080i, as 1080p (pass-thru) is enabled along with 1080i (on TiVo), but seems to like 1080 (as it says it's the preferred format for my TV).
Old 20-09-2011, 22:54   #4980
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Ah ok.

My TV is 1080p, tho TiVo is using 1080i, as 1080p (pass-thru) is enabled along with 1080i (on TiVo), but seems to like 1080i.
It will be. 1080i is the highest broadcast resolution available on TiVo. Seemy post on this earlier in the thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post4920.html