Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2011, 15:45   #4921
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Oh, just discovered another bug.

If I turn the subtitles on for any channel using the Subtitles button on the remote, as soon as I change to another one or go to EPG/other menu there is a thin vertical line of graphical trash (i.e stray pixels) on the right hand side. This persists across channels. This is only visible when the HDMI setting on the TV is set to Screen Fit, i.e. 0% overscan, so it occurs to me this bug wasn't discovered because whoever codes/tests the firmware had their TVs overscanned at least slightly. It disappears only when the unit is hard rebooted, i.e. switched off via the back panel not standby with the remote. Simply turning off the subtitles doesn't banish it.

Here's a few pictures of my 32" Samsung LCD TV demonstrating the bug.

<cheesy> Just call me Zeke Pliskin, Unpaid Virgin Media Field Testerâ„¢. </cheesy>
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2011, 15:46   #4922
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

its not on my TV.
Old 19-09-2011, 15:53   #4923
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Oh, just discovered another bug.

If I turn the subtitles on for any channel using the Subtitles button on the remote, as soon as I change to another one or go to EPG/other menu there is a thin vertical line of graphical trash (i.e stray pixels) on the right hand side. This persists across channels. This is only visible when the HDMI setting on the TV is set to Screen Fit, i.e. 0% overscan, so it occurs to me this bug wasn't discovered because whoever codes/tests the firmware had their TVs overscanned at least slightly. It disappears only when the unit is hard rebooted, i.e. switched off via the back panel not standby with the remote. Simply turning off the subtitles doesn't banish it.

Here's a few pictures of my 32" Samsung LCD TV demonstrating the bug.

<cheesy> Just call me Zeke Pliskin, Unpaid Virgin Media Field Testerâ„¢. </cheesy>
Sorry but why do you choose the fit to screen option on your Samsung HDTV? I do believe that by using this setting you'll notice a lot of odd errors displayed on the edge of the screen that usually would go unseen. I tried the setting some time ago and noticed all sorts of crap when watching the BBC's news channel. I also have a Samsung HDTV although mines a 42 inch plasma.
Old 19-09-2011, 15:54   #4924
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
Sorry but why do you choose the fit to screen option on your Samsung HDTV?.
Because when watching HD you get the full picture

It's only SD channels that are designed with overscan in mind (due to the way CRT TVs work). Watch an HD channel without it set to 'Screen Fit' and you are cutting off picture designed to be seen
Old 19-09-2011, 15:59   #4925
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

It's only SD channels that are designed with overscan in mind (due to the way CRT TVs work). Watch an HD channel without it set to 'Screen Fit' and you are cutting off picture designed to be seen
Thanks Ben I didn't realise that so might try again as we only tend to watch HD channels these days.
Old 19-09-2011, 17:00   #4926
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good to know. Shame that it can't stream from other devices on the LAN, because the passthrough feature would then be useful. Guess it's blocked off on the VM TiVo though.
Old 19-09-2011, 17:02   #4927
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Noticed that the EPG only goes forward about 12 days.
I thought that it would show forward programming for the full 14 days
Any ideas chaps ???
Old 19-09-2011, 17:04   #4928
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Any ideas chaps ???
Some channels only have data going 11 or 12 days forward as far as l know and that has nothing to do with Tivo.
Old 19-09-2011, 17:08   #4929
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
Sorry but why do you choose the fit to screen option on your Samsung HDTV? I do believe that by using this setting you'll notice a lot of odd errors displayed on the edge of the screen that usually would go unseen. I tried the setting some time ago and noticed all sorts of crap when watching the BBC's news channel. I also have a Samsung HDTV although mines a 42 inch plasma.
Showoff. :P Seriously though, Samsung do some nice sets and I like their menu system a lot better than the Xross Media Bar thing on a lot of Sony TVs.

I like having no overscan where possible so I can see the full-frame, even the mistakes. It's amazing how many errors are turning up especially on the BBC News channel especially these days, like placing on-screen display boxes well outside the title safe area. I paid for those extra pixels, I damn well better see 'em.

Quote:

Exactly. I'd rather have slight windowboxing on a source rather than slight overscan, especially on games consoles. Screen Fit usually gives you maximum clarity when running in native panel resolution... it's what you bought the TV for, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Any ideas chaps ???
Um... wait two days and try again?
Old 19-09-2011, 17:25   #4930
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Some channels only have data going 11 or 12 days forward as far as l know and that has nothing to do with Tivo.
Thanks Den
I'm away on hols later this week, and wanted to set up series links for Merlin on BBC on Saturday 1st and Terra Nova on Sky 1 on October 3rd.

Nothing scheduled on either yet......

I've set up on wish lists, but don't trust this feature yet, as it has let me down in the past
Old 19-09-2011, 18:18   #4931
mogodon
cf.member

Services: VM BB 200MB & TV XL / Telephone / Tivo / Now TV / Netflix / Amazon / Spotify
mogodon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Samsung LCD 40" and I've noticed the issue with artefacts from subtitles. I was watching a recording with subs on and it left a horizontal grey bar on the picture.

This remained on all channels and would only go away by rebooting the Tivo. I guess it's some kind of compatibility issue with the Samsung TV.
Old 19-09-2011, 18:30   #4932
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogodon View Post
I have a Samsung LCD 40" and I've noticed the issue with artefacts from subtitles. I was watching a recording with subs on and it left a horizontal grey bar on the picture.

This remained on all channels and would only go away by rebooting the Tivo. I guess it's some kind of compatibility issue with the Samsung TV.
No it is just not with the Samsung as it has been mentioned about other TV's as well. .
Old 19-09-2011, 19:09   #4933
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Interesting that I'm not the only one with the subtitles thing. Maybe we should compile a list of known bugs (even the small ones) and post 'em over at the VM Community forum.

I like this box a lot, it's good, but I want to help make it great. The hardware is high-quality Cisco, it's just a case of getting that custom VM firmware to make the most of it.

Come to think of it, what VM need is to use the Trac system so users can submit bugs to the developers directly rather than this "proxy by forum support staff" model they're using now. I have no problem doing beta testing and reporting back if I know it's being heeded.
Old 19-09-2011, 19:18   #4934
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

I got an email today, as an employee, of the new TiVo update which has been confirmed to be released before Christmas. I will post full details soon but the universal recordings padding as well as other missing crucial features will be added.
Old 19-09-2011, 19:40   #4935
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
I got an email today, as an employee, of the new TiVo update which has been confirmed to be released before Christmas. I will post full details soon but the universal recordings padding as well as other missing crucial features will be added.
Thanks for this, let's hope the crucial features include the 2 red button services (BBC and Sky Sports)
Closed Thread