Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 17:15   #5881
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
Re: TiVo

yes £3 would be fair but currently they cant even get the clock right on the menu screen,Half of the new programs are not showing up as new so you have to set series links for new/reruns.Keeps switching from 1080i to 720p and as i mentioned on prevoius post doesn`t record hd channels on suggested programs,Really these things need sorting before expecting people to pay out £3.People are going mad about the cost as it is,There gonna expect a fully working box and currently that is not the case.Yes i love my tivo and it will be well worth the money and i recommend people to get one but to charge the £3 currently i think its a tad unfair,Not moaning (i can`t won mine).But others will if these points are not addressed/sorted.
Also the lack of new channels to support it is very annoying also
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2011, 17:16   #5882
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I still think that £149 and £40 is a lot better than £199 and £40

£50 off the cost of the box is better than nothing at all.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

All I am saying is if you are already paying about £60-70 a month for all your VM services then an extra £3 isn't that much of an increase, where as if VM/TiVo were asking for £10 extra a month like they did when TiVo last launch in the UK it would be a totally different matter.
As I say time will tell, it's a tricky area asking for money when content isn't involved but we will see.

Out of interest did you pay the going rate to have Tivo installed?
Old 01-04-2011, 17:16   #5883
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
But one of the tivo services is suggested programs and i have had to turn it off because all it seems to record is sd and ad programs when hd ones are available,Luckly i won a tivo so i dont after pay £3 per month for 12 months.If i was i would certainly be questioning the charge.
So you'd rather turn suggestions off and miss programmes you might like, just because they're in SD?

It's been said on here that it's going to be fixed and the suggestions will be set to record in HD in the future.

In the mean time, If suggestions picks up a programme that is part of a series, that you like, you can just set a series link for the rest in, HD.

The suggestions part of Tivo is just a small part of the tivo functionality that the £3 is going towards anyway.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:19   #5884
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
As I say time will tell, it's a tricky area asking for money when content isn't involved but we will see.

Out of interest did you pay the going rate to have Tivo installed?
Staff do have to still pay for the TiVo box and an install fee but I did not pay for the TiVo I have. However when I got mine I had to sign an NDA for various reasons.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:20   #5885
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

For me I would have paid upto £149 plus the £3. But when its closer to £200 AND you know that new subscribers won't pay that I can't face forking out £200.

However... The thought of a smaller say half or quarter terrabyte box for £49 plus £3 in June does appeal. It has extra services so the the £3 I can take.

I am going to wait and see.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:20   #5886
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
How does the channel navigation compare to V+?
For example, can you make a list of favourites, or group channels?
You basically create your favourites list in the settings menu (similar to V+).

Then when you go into into the Guide, you press the blue button which then gives you a list of filters such as HD, Sport, Kids, etc, plus your Favourites. Select the Favourites filter and the Guide is then filtered appropriately.

I think it's actually a better system, as let's face it the V+ system was pretty basic. With TiVo you get the full guide and what's more it's fast. Not like the full guide on the V+ which would take half a minute to load.

Edit: Forgot to say, sadly you cannot re-order your Favouites...
Old 01-04-2011, 17:21   #5887
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
How many times are you going to keep repeating yourself. Its not a charge for using the PVR. Its for the extra TiVo service, if you don't want to pay the small £3 a month then you can stick with V+.

In the grand scheme of things £3 a month is hardly anything.
As many times as I see fit , so I can use TIVO as a PVR and pay nothing can I , if I don't want the other features.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:23   #5888
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Staff do have to still pay for the TiVo box and an install fee but I did not pay for the TiVo I have. However when I got mine I had to sign an NDA for various reasons.
I see.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:24   #5889
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
So you'd rather turn suggestions off and miss programmes you might like, just because they're in SD?

It's been said on here that it's going to be fixed and the suggestions will be set to record in HD in the future.

In the mean time, If suggestions picks up a programme that is part of a series, that you like, you can just set a series link for the rest in, HD.

The suggestions part of Tivo is just a small part of the tivo functionality that the £3 is going towards anyway.
Fair point but if suggested programs in hd is coming soon like new hd channels,Need i say anymore
Old 01-04-2011, 17:25   #5890
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
yes £3 would be fair but currently they cant even get the clock right on the menu screen,Half of the new programs are not showing up as new so you have to set series links for new/reruns.Keeps switching from 1080i to 720p and as i mentioned on prevoius post doesn`t record hd channels on suggested programs,Really these things need sorting before expecting people to pay out £3.People are going mad about the cost as it is,There gonna expect a fully working box and currently that is not the case.Yes i love my tivo and it will be well worth the money and i recommend people to get one but to charge the £3 currently i think its a tad unfair,Not moaning (i can`t won mine).But others will if these points are not addressed/sorted.
Also the lack of new channels to support it is very annoying also
That is a bit of an over exaggeration. There are not that many issues with the epg data.

I currently have my TiVo set to 1080i and don't have 720p checked so for me it doesn't switch at all.

Ok so there was a small issue with the STB changing to summer time. Its not service affecting and it is being fixed asap.

Am not so bothered about suggestions not being in HD. If there is a prog I really want to record I will already have it set to record in HD. Recommendations I think are better in SD as then they don't tak up much space on the HDD.

Any small niggles or issues are constantly being reported and looked into, and TiVo are constantly working on fixes. Remember this isn't just the same TiVo sereis 4 that they have in the US but a heavily customized version for VM and we are getting them to add a lot of things that TiVo has never had before.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:25   #5891
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I still think that £149 and £40 is a lot better than £199 and £40

£50 off the cost of the box is better than nothing at all.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

All I am saying is if you are already paying about £60-70 a month for all your VM services then an extra £3 isn't that much of an increase, where as if VM/TiVo were asking for £10 extra a month like they did when TiVo last launch in the UK it would be a totally different matter.
So where do you stop another 3.00 here and there soon mounts up.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:27   #5892
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
TiVo only has 3 FF/RW speeds and these are undefined.

As others have said there are buttons for skip back 8 seconds and jump forward 30 seconds as well as a slow motion button so you can play director when watching sports
Actually IMHO I think they need to rework some of the these controls.

Firstly I don't think the skip back is long enough, should be more like 10-15sec.

Second, when you rewind at the 3rd (fastest) speed, it should not then jump forward again when you go into play. It is a nice feature that it jumps backwards when coming out of fast forwarding, but when you are rewinding it shouldn't jump forward. I often find I'm "too quick" hitting play and then it jumps back in front of where I wanted to be. Much better that it simply starts playing from the instant I hit play.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:28   #5893
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Stephen maybe look at the poll were over 60% of people said there subs are already high enough.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:28   #5894
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
As many times as I see fit , so I can use TIVO as a PVR and pay nothing can I , if I don't want the other features.
If you just want a normal PVR function then VM have V+ available.
Old 01-04-2011, 17:30   #5895
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Stephen maybe look at the poll were over 60% of people said there subs are already high enough.
If people think the prices are to high for a state of the art set top box such as the TiVo then they should look elsewhere but nothing else will come close, you want the product then you pay the product price simple.
Closed Thread