Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Powerline adapters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Powerline adapters

Old 29-08-2013, 22:38   #1
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Powerline adapters

can you use a splitter and plug into 2 laptops?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2013, 23:28   #2
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack
Re: Powerline adapters

Not sure what you mean by a spliter, a cheep switch should do the job OK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-100-8.../dp/B0000YQ3LG

J
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 23:37   #3
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I'll have 2 laptops side by side. so instead of running the one cat cable to just the one, I'll run it to the both.

thanks for the link, looks the part. I could just get 4 adapters and use the extra one for the TV.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 09:00   #4
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I do just that. A Powerline is connected by ethernet to a switch/hub and I plug as many devices into the switch as I want.

Another Powerline is near the TV; ethernet into the TV and the TV is smart.

Fairly simples.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 09:52   #5
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

It's been a while since I used a powerline (think it was 12Mb circa 2004) or similar, what are the more modern ones like?
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 10:16   #6
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I started off on Devolo 14 megs - my son still uses them. I'm now on Devolo 200AV. They sync at 200 meg and I can get 50 meg out of them.

The 500 meg Powerlines might get you 90 meg downlink. Smallnetbuilder.com has done a useful review. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...dapter-roundup

It's a shame that they haven't yet reviewed Devolo, which I believe sets the standard.

Hope that helps.

Old 30-08-2013, 17:46   #7
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
It's been a while since I used a powerline (think it was 12Mb circa 2004) or similar, what are the more modern ones like?
PITA to setup but work fine after that as long as you don't touch them.......then they are a PITA to setup
Old 30-08-2013, 18:19   #8
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Heh Ramrod: I remember the pain to set up, though I've done a bit of research into the Devolo ones mentioned by Seph, and they seem to have solved that problem.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 19:01   #9
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Yeah - doddle to set up.

Old 30-08-2013, 22:08   #10
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I have TP Link, also a doddle
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 12:36   #11
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

One thing I found when using them in the past, is two different brands I had, both blew up when there was a storm nearby, so something to bear in mind

They either don't work, or work very poorly on surge protected strips, too.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 18:30   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

A question on these adaptors.

My Modem & Router are both upstairs and out Tivo box is downstairs, now I want to connect the Tivo to the router.

But when our house was rewired all electrics went to the fuse box, would a powerline adapter work in this scenario?
Old 23-10-2013, 18:37   #13
tizmeinnit

would have thought you want all your electric to go to a fuse box lol
Old 23-10-2013, 18:46   #14
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
A question on these adaptors.

My Modem & Router are both upstairs and out Tivo box is downstairs, now I want to connect the Tivo to the router.

But when our house was rewired all electrics went to the fuse box, would a powerline adapter work in this scenario?
If each floor is on a different circuit and has its own circuit breaker then you wont get much speed out of them perhaps 2 or 3 Mbits. If all on one circuit breaker then you should get near the expected speed.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 19:22   #15
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I'm not sure about what arcimedes has said. It's prrolly a terminology thing - "circuit breaker".

I've been using Powerlines for years. I take BT Infinity downstairs from the router upstairs and get the same 50 meg direct to the router or downstairs via powerline.

In my house, we have an upstairs ring and a downstairs rinh, each with their own circuit breaker. If one circuit breaker trips, the Powerline link between floors is broken. It would have to be because there is no power on one floor! But there is no degradation in normal mains behaviour.