Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do I need a switch instead of router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do I need a switch instead of router

Old 12-09-2013, 14:26   #1
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough
Question Do I need a switch instead of router

Hi,

I am having ADSL fitted but the modem/router is going to be in the front room I need it in the back bedroom, so I have bought some power lines/power plugs.

Now in the back bedroom, I need to be able to route some Ethernet cables.

So I was think would a switch be ok, instead of a router?
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2013, 14:43   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Do I need a switch instead of router

A switch would probably be better..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 14:53   #3
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Would any switch be ok, or should I be looking for a set make and mode.
I do hav plans to go fibre over the phone line
Old 12-09-2013, 15:20   #4
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Get a gigabit/1Gb switch of some sort so you are future proof, rather than one that is just 100Mb.

Not a lot of difference between models, unless you want extra features like vlans and such. I got a little Netgear Prosafe, does what I want and I prefer the metal case over the plastic ones
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 15:26   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Think of a switch as a junction box, allowing multiple cables to interconnect. In most cases the switch is a dumb device as it doesn't know what is on each end of a cable and will send data down all wires (you can pay a lot of money, often for big size networks for more sophistication and management controls, but that isn't necessary for domestic use).

A router will usually include a switch, for example, the four LAN ports will allow data to pass around a local network, without going to the internet. The router is intelligent as it has the ability to send an identity to each connected computer (the IP address), and also offers functions to pass traffic between the local network and internet. Router's can be used just as a switch, but that is overkill.

If buying a switch, you can usually get 5 port, 8 port, and higher multiples. Look for something with gigabit (1000) speeds, which can usually drop down to the 10/100 if the connected device doesn't support it. For the smaller switches there is such a small difference in cost it's not worth just getting a 10/100. After all you want to be able to shift your data.

As for switch model, any reasonable brand should do. Consider TP-Link, Netgear, D-Link. To be honest, you can look at price, more than the branding.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 07:47   #6
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I did exactly what you want to do, got a TP-Link switch for I think about £10
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 11:30   #7
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
In most cases the switch is a dumb device as it doesn't know what is on each end of a cable and will send data down all wires.
I thought that switches could do that, learn which device was connected to which port so it only sent data to the right port? I thought it was hubs that were just dumb junctions that sent everything anywhere?

I'm probably wrong though, I know nearly nothing about networking
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 11:45   #8
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_365 View Post
I thought that switches could do that, learn which device was connected to which port so it only sent data to the right port? I thought it was hubs that were just dumb junctions that sent everything anywhere?

I'm probably wrong though, I know nearly nothing about networking
you are correct

Quote:
Hubs

The term ‘hub’ is sometimes used to refer to any piece of network equipment that connects PCs together, but it actually refers to a multi-port repeater. This type of device simply passes on (repeats) all the information it receives, so that all devices connected to its ports receive that information.

Hubs repeat everything they receive and can be used to extend the network. However, this can result in a lot of unnecessary traffic being sent to all devices on the network. Hubs pass on traffic to the network regardless of the intended destination; the PCs to which the packets are sent use the address information in each packet to work out which packets are meant for them. In a small network repeating is not a problem but for a larger, more heavily used network, another piece of networking equipment (such as a switch) may be required to help reduce the amount of unnecessary traffic being generated.

Switches

Switches control the flow of network traffic based on the address information in each packet. A switch learns which devices are connected to its ports (by monitoring the packets it receives), and then forwards on packets to the appropriate port only. This allows simultaneous communication across the switch, improving bandwidth.

This switching operation reduces the amount of unnecessary traffic that would have occurred if the same information had been sent from every port (as with a hub).

Switches and hubs are often used in the same network; the hubs extend the network by providing more ports, and the switches divide the network into smaller, less congested sections.
http://www.darron.net/network/secondpage.html
Old 16-09-2013, 17:52   #9
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Cheers, I was beginning to doubt myself

OP, this is what I've got to avoid having to wifi up my TV and media player and other entertainment stuff:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-S.../dp/B000N99BBC

No setup required other than plugging in the cables from the devices and the powerline
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 16:08   #10
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Thanks