Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Great story if it`s True.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A massive shock followed by a huge sigh of relief

Old 03-05-2012, 20:08   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
A massive shock followed by a huge sigh of relief

Came in from work today and had 2 letters from my bank the NatWest .Both letters where querying "unusual activity" on both my debit accounts ,i didn't think much of it as i have had these before when i have used my card a lot over a short period as i have just lately but i just went online to pay the annual fee for garden waste recycling using my card and it was declined ,i checked my bank balance and yes i had the money so thought i had better phone up the bank and see what was wrong .It turns out that the bank have stopped my cards because someone little scroat in the Dominican Republic has been trying to withdraw money from my account using the card details at a ATM .These transactions where immediately picked up as unusual activity ,mainly because on the same day i was using my card the other side of the world in Wicks .So the outcome is The Natwest didn't allow any transactions and have stopped my cards ....hence the huge sigh of relief .
The worrying thing is the other account that was affected was not my current account and has not been used for months ,so how they managed to get those details is beyond me .
Kudos though to the Natwest fraud dept for picking up on this so quickly .In future i will have to be extra vigilant at ATM's and checkouts
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 22:58   #2
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Re: A massive shock followed by a huge sigh of relief

My partner had a similar thing with Natwest and I must admit they were quick off the mark at sorting it out.
Old 03-05-2012, 23:18   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
My partner had a similar thing with Natwest and I must admit they were quick off the mark at sorting it out.
indeed they where .I have been racking my brains trying to think when both cards where used in the same machine and the only time i can think was a couple of weeks ago at a Sainsbury's machine ,i put one card in by mistake cancelled and then used my other card so that is when i think the cards where cloned
Old 04-05-2012, 13:46   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

My sister had one of her accounts cleared out a few weeks ago thanks to some toerag using a skimmer one one of the local supermarket ATMs. She was using an old non chip-and-pin card for a building society account which apparently made it easier for the fraudsters to clean up. Got her money back quite quickly but still... off with their hands.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 14:43   #5
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I've just had to get a new CC (for the second time!) because someone, somehow, managed to guess the correct details
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 18:34   #6
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I've had one personal and two business cards cloned in the last 3 or 4 years.
The personal one was at a Shell garage in Essex (it was the only place I had ever used it) and I'm positive the business cards were cloned via an inside job in India.
Old 04-05-2012, 21:34   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Whenever I use a cash machine, I hold my wallet over the keypad while I enter my pin.

I have never had any money taken out of mu account I didn't know about.

I have had the bank call me about unusual payments, but I knew about them.