Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google Android

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Google Android

Old 09-02-2011, 08:52   #76
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: Google Android

I've got an invisible shield for the screen.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45   #77
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
About it being a scratch and fingerprint magnet - your best bet would be to use a Zagg Invisible Shield for it, you can get them on ebay for about £18 and they offer a lifetime replacement guarantee. You can get cases for a lot cheaper of course but sometimes you can forget to keep them on - the Zagg stuff is like a screen protector but is pre-cut for all over the phone, it's almost indestructible. I have one on my Desire and just to show what it can do I've dragged a rusty nail over the the screen and it's not left a mark
Have to second this I bought one as well, although I went slighly paranoid and got the one that also has one for the back and around the keys.

Just don't rush putting it on as it's not that easy
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49   #78
haydnwalker
Inactive

haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I found it fairly easy to put on (though I had some latex gloves lying around which helped avoid prints under the film), and the solvent they provide is also excellent at helping remove bubbles etc.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

I like the silicone case that I bought because its bright orange, and the phone is black, so it just fetches a bit of colour out
Old 10-02-2011, 00:19   #79
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
About it being a scratch and fingerprint magnet - your best bet would be to use a Zagg Invisible Shield for it, you can get them on ebay for about £18 and they offer a lifetime replacement guarantee. You can get cases for a lot cheaper of course but sometimes you can forget to keep them on - the Zagg stuff is like a screen protector but is pre-cut for all over the phone, it's almost indestructible. I have one on my Desire and just to show what it can do I've dragged a rusty nail over the the screen and it's not left a mark
Russ, There is a video on YouTube of a guy going at the screen of a Nexus One with a pair of scissors. They did not leave a scratch!

Dunno about a piano black case though lol

The Mrs and I both have Nexus One's and she has a protector, i don't. Neither screen shows sign of any wear.

We both have CaseMate Tough cases though
Old 11-02-2011, 19:46   #80
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

[QUOTE=Matt D;34429402]Linux-based open OS for mobile phones.

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?/QUOTE]

Looks like thay can

Infact now, when I look back at the first post, it almost seerms funny.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 20:11   #81
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Linux-based open OS for mobile phones.

Can they seriously challenge the mighty Symbian & MS?
Looks like thay can

Infact now, when I look back at the first post, it almost seerms funny.
Indeed. How things change
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 22:53   #82
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Indeed. How things change
Especially since Nokia are now going into partnership with MS
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 18:12   #83
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Anybody tried the Tasker app?

Amazing what your phone can be set up to do. 7 day free trial before it asks to be validated as the paid version.

Well worth paying for, £3.49 if you allow unknown sources & get it via download or QR Code direct from the website. £3.99 via the market...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 22:26   #84
haydnwalker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Anybody tried the Tasker app?

Amazing what your phone can be set up to do. 7 day free trial before it asks to be validated as the paid version.

Well worth paying for, £3.49 if you allow unknown sources & get it via download or QR Code direct from the website. £3.99 via the market...
Looks like a useful app actually. I might consider purchasing it
Old 16-02-2011, 22:17   #85
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

So, after Honeycomb, what next? Ice Cream?
Quote:
Sweet dreams

Mr Schmidt also gave a glimpse of Android's future.
"We've had Gingerbread, which begins with a G, then Honeycomb [the first version designed with tablets in mind], which begins with an H so the next one will begin with an I and be named after a dessert," he said.
Link
Old 17-02-2011, 09:09   #86
haydnwalker
Inactive

I heard rumours it would be called "Ice Cream Sundae" but they were just speculative.

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Due to the fact that 2.3 and 3.0 are due to fork in different directions, I'm also guessing there will be different naming conventions from that point.
Old 26-02-2011, 09:48   #87
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

I'm sure a few weeks ago when we used google navigation there was a coffee shop layer. This put icons up so you could immediately see Costa, Starbucks etc.
Now it's disappeared & I can't seem to turn it back on. Any ideas?
Old 26-02-2011, 16:20   #88
haydnwalker
Inactive

If you open the maps app, there's a little square in the top right that looks like paper layered on top of each other its in there I think.
Old 26-02-2011, 18:37   #89
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
If you open the maps app, there's a little square in the top right that looks like paper layered on top of each other its in there I think.
Thanks, I know where to find the layers but this particular one has disappeared.
Old 26-02-2011, 18:53   #90
haydnwalker
Inactive

Ah sorry I misunderstood

I don't seem to have as many as I did have... I recently updated my Maps app, have you done the same?