Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Infinity installed

Old 11-02-2012, 14:01   #76
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
Re: BT Infinity installed

sorry let me just make it clear that was not my speed test, i only posted it to prove they are starting to upgrade people to the 80Mb profile, and i've seen many more people posting their own tests of 80Mb/20Mb
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 14:30   #77
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Looks like Cab 22 Winnersh is waking up.

Yep, this is what I'm waiting to see. How BT Infinity copes when it starts getting realistic utilisation levels. At the moment I bet its barely hitting 30% capacity.

What happens when these CABS starting hitting the big numbers,
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 16:48   #78
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Despite massively increasing customer numbers, performance has increased over 15% over the last year. Indicates to me BT are heavily investing in infrastructure and comitted to staying ahead of the game - for a while at least.

Also note the backhaul is being upgraded to handle 300-1000mbps FTTP on demand.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28   #79
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Yep, this is what I'm waiting to see. How BT Infinity copes when it starts getting realistic utilisation levels. At the moment I bet its barely hitting 30% capacity.

What happens when these CABS starting hitting the big numbers,
Well FTTC has a few advantages over cable.

Bigger shared pipes especially in the upstream direction. This should mean even under congestion jitter will always be better, packet loss is probably a bigger risk under congestion. The connection to the exchange from the cabinet is uncontended meaning it will never ever get congested.
Openreach will throttle at the wholesale level if utilisation gets too high over their wholesale network. So everyone regardless of protocol will see a speed hit for the sake of "quality of service". Also in the past BT have throttled everyone down to 2mbit/sec to keep things working. So they dont seem scared to do whats needed.
Different isps selling the product so if eg. infinity gets oversubbed, you could jump ship. With sky joining in now there will be 2 unlimited FTTC isp's at cheap prices.

the disadvantage is ultimately FTTC still has to use a limited run of dodgy old copper/ali cable and if that has faults then things like noise bursts and line drops may still happen. Openreach in my view are much worser than VM at dealing with local line issues.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:30   #80
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Can't say much for the latter, though again business services via FTTC offer (sometimes optional) enhanced cover for local/line faults with 3-hour guarantees and 24-hour fix.
Old 14-02-2012, 13:39   #81
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

VM Broadband has been cancelled - will be signing up for Infinity tonight. Hope I don't regret this!

For all of you people on Infinity - are you still using the HH?

Zee: Many thanks!
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 14:27   #82
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
VM Broadband has been cancelled - will be signing up for Infinity tonight. Hope I don't regret this!

Im using the HH3 and i dont really like it, i think the VM Superhub is a lot better. I wish i was able to specificly force the HH3 into 5GHz mode as all the 2.4GHz wireless channels give a crap speed for me.
Old 14-02-2012, 15:03   #83
ShadowTD
Inactive

ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Righto. I've got a Netgear 3300 that does PPPOE so if I'm not a fan of the HH3 I'll give that a whirl.
Old 14-02-2012, 15:09   #84
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Can you use your own gear with BT Infinity broadband then ?
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 15:18   #85
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Can you use your own gear with BT Infinity broadband then ?
i set it up and it worked fine, but im back to using HH3
Old 14-02-2012, 15:22   #86
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
i set it up and it worked fine, but im back to using HH3
Interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mucho Gratsi Zee
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 15:27   #87
ShadowTD
Inactive

From my reading, as long as your 'cable' router supports PPoE you can connect it to the VDSL modem and job's a good 'un.
Old 14-02-2012, 15:45   #88
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post

Nope. I'm using the DIR-615 that Virgin supplied me some time ago.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 00:55   #89
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Im using the HH3 and i dont really like it, i think the VM Superhub is a lot better. I wish i was able to specificly force the HH3 into 5GHz mode as all the 2.4GHz wireless channels give a crap speed for me.
You can't force the HH3 into a mode which doesn't exist, though if that's the only bad thing you have to say about it I'd be impressed.

(The Home Hub 3 is a 2.4Ghz only device you doofus)
Old 15-02-2012, 11:50   #90
ShadowTD
Inactive

Installation date - 2nd of March. VM goes off on the 13th, so there's enough of an overlap just in case someone makes a pills of it.

Fingers crossed! Really looking forward to YouTube working properly