Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 16:15   #3796
sjc1951
Inactive

Services: 1 HD Virgin Samsung Box 1 TiVo Box XL TV + all premium Sky channels + HD Pack XL Broadband XL Teleph
sjc1951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo

I have had TiVo for a couple of weeks now and I have found SD channels the same if not better than the Samsung it replaced, I have a Sony 46ex503. I have had to reboot a couple of times and the menus are a little sluggish but I would expect that as an early adopter but so far I Like.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2011, 16:18   #3797
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Well not sure if you were one of the Sony TV posters I spotted before but good to hear from my perspective at least!

There will certainly be some channels with low bitrates and so not so good PQ as per comment above about Challenge. Its the better SD quality channels I am concerned about and when I eventually do have Tivo, I will move to HD channels by default (nice if the EPG was like that at some stage as Sky have implemented I've read) to mimimise the impact and just hope my Sony TV shows good SD channels like others have posted.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:18   #3798
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Perfect Choice;35188749]Well is that a possible source of the TIVO PQ problem? As stated below by Rankrotten, if Tivo only auto selects 1080i for a SD feed when 720p is selected for SD in your case, then I suggest the engineer needs to find out why 720p is not being used for Rankrotten's Tivo installation. Would this be limited by the TV? Wouldn't expect it myself but that is the job of the engineer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten
"Adjusted the output settings on TiVo to auto select from 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and it always chooses to feed the TV at 1080i irrespective of channel."
Well today it decided to output everything at 576p and only a hard reboot made it change it's mind.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:18   #3799
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
"Being Human is indeed shown on BBC HD. Monday night though, quite late."

Well that is good except one of the current issues with Tivo I've read is that it seems to default to SD programme recording if you select series links, otherwise recording the series using the HD channel at whatever time (we never watch live time these days with the V+ and even less with Tivo) would be just what I am looking for when I finally do get Tivo (I think still!). Thanks.
If you set up a series link on a HD channel it will record the show in HD on that channel.

Its suggestions that will sometimes default to recording the SD version.
Old 07-03-2011, 16:24   #3800
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If you set up a series link on a HD channel it will record the show in HD on that channel.

Its suggestions that will sometimes default to recording the SD version.
Thanks, that issue is sorted for me then since I will setup deliberate series recordings rather than relying on suggestions, sure VM will address that issue in the fullness of time.
Old 07-03-2011, 17:35   #3801
Johnlouis
Inactive

Services: TiVo-XL TV; XL30 BB; M Phone; Virgin Mobile
Johnlouis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Its shown on Sunday nights at the same time its on BBC Three.
Quite right! It's just a recording clash prevents me recording on a Sunday. The SD PQ issue with the TiVo worries me too. My full HD Samsung TV won't even let me display the PS3 in 1080p (it causes interference i.e "snow" on screen and "pops" in the sound) so even though I would always go for the HD option, a lot of stuff I watch is only available in SD. So knowing my luck I'll have to get a new TV! Does DF or Masque or anyone else know if updates will be available as mentioned earlier?
Old 07-03-2011, 17:43   #3802
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
While I appreciate you are knowledgable about set ups etc, there could be a signal issue to the box or it could be something wrong with it.

Why am I and many others not seeing your picture issues? Some have seen TiVo in action in the VM shops and have said it looked fine on SD?

If it was me, then i'd allow the tech to do some checks and then decide if you want to downgrade to V+HD again.. but it's obviously up to you.
As far as I can see DF none of the VM staff on this forum ever seem to come across any TiVo bugs whatsoever! Strange don't you think, considering the multitude of issues experienced by others?
Old 07-03-2011, 17:47   #3803
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlouis View Post
Its shown on Sunday nights at the same time its on BBC Three.

Quite right! It's just a recording clash prevents me recording on a Sunday. The SD PQ issue with the TiVo worries me too. My full HD Samsung TV won't even let me display the PS3 in 1080p (it causes interference i.e "snow" on screen and "pops" in the sound) so even though I would always go for the HD option, a lot of stuff I watch is only available in SD. So knowing my luck I'll have to get a new TV! Does DF or Masque or anyone else know if updates will be available as mentioned earlier?
What do you mean?

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
As far as I can see DF none of the VM staff on this forum ever seem to come across any TiVo bugs whatsoever! Strange don't you think, considering the multitude of issues experienced by others?
I think "multitude" is a bit over the top! lol

Who said we hadn't come across any bugs? Anyone who has brought any up, I've discussed it with them.
Old 07-03-2011, 18:11   #3804
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
What do you mean?

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

I think "multitude" is a bit over the top! lol

Who said we hadn't come across any bugs? Anyone who has brought any up, I've discussed it with them.
Yes but, none of the staff have ever mentioned, on this forum, that they have ever experienced any issues with their own TiVo.
Old 07-03-2011, 18:15   #3805
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes but, none of the staff have ever mentioned, on this forum, that they have ever experienced any issues with their own TiVo.
You sound shocked about that LOL
Old 07-03-2011, 18:15   #3806
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
As part of my NDA, I wouldn't be allowed to start posting bugs I'd found. I report them and they get fixed or I'm told a SLA for fixing them.

The TiVo customers are getting is certainly more polished than I had at launch, but even then it wasn't show stopping.

New kit will always have some issues.
Old 07-03-2011, 18:20   #3807
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I do find this question mark over SD picture quality a big concern; the SA V+ box was excellent on SD.

But with only 20 hours of HD recording on the V+ box, replacing it with a Tivo with much more space is the only option to resolve lack of space issues.
Well the 1TB HD is the get out clause for the alleged SD PQ issues. I can pretty much get everything I want now in HD. And I say alleged because it's quite subjective.

I found even with SA V+ that the SD images had a fair bit of compression noise/artefacts, but on the whole were quite sharp. I wonder if the Tivo is just trying to clean it up but ends up with softness as a result.

I'm not sure I'd blame VM/Cisco/Tivo though as really the underlying issue is the low bit rates. You can't polish a turd.
Old 07-03-2011, 18:27   #3808
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
To be fair go on the Sky Help forum there's not many on there admitting to a problem with the Sky+HD Darwin software LOL
Old 07-03-2011, 18:33   #3809
Johnlouis
Inactive

Services: TiVo-XL TV; XL30 BB; M Phone; Virgin Mobile
Johnlouis is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you mean?

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I'm not as technically minded as some of the posters on here, but I was wondering if updates to the TiVo software would resolve any of the SD PQ issues some people are concerned about, or is it a hardware issue (i.e. The type of TV you have)? I don't have TiVo myself, I'm just going by other peoples comments. I realise you've seen no problem yourself, but could this issue be a real one, or are people expecting too much? (no offence meant to anyone who sees it as a genuine problem!)

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

You can't polish a turd.

Lmao!
Old 07-03-2011, 18:52   #3810
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Hardly a multitude, just a few wee niggles.

However most staff that are either trialists or were part of the first 500 had to agree to an NDA before getting TiVo installed, and are still bound by this so although they may find issues and can report them internally they cannot openly talk about them. They may also not be on the same software, but have a newer update so can't talk about that either.