Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:17   #3751
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
This is correct.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

It's going to be quicker than calling everyone and you should have an install in April.
Will it not cause issues with VM website with 50000 pre reg customers all trying to be first for install.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2011, 12:20   #3752
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Will it not cause issues with VM website with 50000 pre reg customers all trying to be first for install.
I'm assuming they will be done in batches, so it should be ok.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25   #3753
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'm assuming they will be done in batches, so it should be ok.
Oh ohhh... Here we go again!!

If I'm not in the first batch I'm cancelling VM and going to prostitute myself to Rupert Murdoch! Oh, wait a minute...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:33   #3754
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Oh ohhh... Here we go again!!

If I'm not in the first batch I'm cancelling VM and going to prostitute myself to Rupert Murdoch! Oh, wait a minute...
lol

I think it will be better than calling everyone.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:36   #3755
Daren
Inactive

Services: Virgin TiVo & Thomson TiVo S1 > TV XL > Broadband L > Phone L
Daren is an unknown quantity at this point

I just called Virgin to ask how long I will need to wait for Tivo.... I explained I'm a series 1 Tivo owner and pre-registered in December which they noted on my account - they said they were not installing until April (boo-hoo).

They then immediately sent me 2 odd emails - the first started "thanks for your call today" and then went on to explain how to pay bills by Direct debit, the second explaining about the online help pages. Bizarre!!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:57   #3756
scgf
Inactive

Services: Freeview HD, TNTSat (France), Apple TV
scgf is on a distinguished roadscgf is on a distinguished road

Then there's me who is going to send it back! I've had my TiVo for just over a week and really the picture quality on SD is just so awful I can't stand it any more. Even the HD channels are only just OK. I'm just talking to VM asking for a Samsung V+ box instead.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:58   #3757
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
Then there's me who is going to send it back! I've had my TiVo for just over a week and really the picture quality on SD is just so awful I can't stand it any more. Even the HD channels are only just OK. I'm just talking to VM asking for a Samsung V+ box instead.
I believe you've got a tech booked to have a look at that haven't you?
Old 07-03-2011, 13:09   #3758
scgf
Inactive

Services: Freeview HD, TNTSat (France), Apple TV
scgf is on a distinguished roadscgf is on a distinguished road

Yes, but I know enough about these things to know they won't find a fault. I would put money on it. The SD picture on the new TiVo is just poor. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I am trying to convert the tech visit to a box-swap instead.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:14   #3759
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, but I know enough about these things to know they won't find a fault. I would put money on it. The SD picture on the new TiVo is just poor. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

While I appreciate you are knowledgable about set ups etc, there could be a signal issue to the box or it could be something wrong with it.

Why am I and many others not seeing your picture issues? Some have seen TiVo in action in the VM shops and have said it looked fine on SD?

If it was me, then i'd allow the tech to do some checks and then decide if you want to downgrade to V+HD again.. but it's obviously up to you.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:17   #3760
Daren
Inactive

Services: Virgin TiVo & Thomson TiVo S1 > TV XL > Broadband L > Phone L
Daren is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'll swap ya!
Old 07-03-2011, 13:22   #3761
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten View Post
Adjusted the output settings on TiVo to auto select from 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and it always chooses to feed the TV at 1080i irrespective of channel.
Mine is set to use all options and it selects 720p for SD and 1080i for HD.

Difficult for me to give a good judgement on SD quality a) because in my view on a 46inch panel SD looked pretty shoddy on V+ too; and b) 90% of what I watch is on HD these days...

If anything I would say poor quality (low bit rate) SD looks a bit softer but decent SD such as BBC1 isn't really any different.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:32   #3762
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

If you're going into the TV via separate input, have you tried tweaking the picture settings on the TV for that input? This can make a big difference ---- turning off all the 'enhancment' settings is a good place to start.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:35   #3763
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I watched Universal Channel the other day , it was awful PQ , that the problem with low bit rate channels.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:38   #3764
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I've been told that pre regs will recieve a special email with ordering details, you will then order online before any other customers.

Once all pre regs have install dates, then it will be opened up to other customers and then new customers after that.

You should get your email towards the end of the month.
There has been no pricing announced; I assume it will be the 149 pounds and free install for pre-regs (the price people have been currently paying). I think here will be a lot of anger if it's more.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:44   #3765
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

I can't see any problems with the SD picture quality on my Tivo box. Although I do seem to have extremely sluggish menus for which a technician is booked to look at on Friday. I am praying for it not to be a box swap as there are loads of programmes on the box now!
Closed Thread