Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 18:35   #3691
mattboothers
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V+ & tivo (XL TV) - Freesat+ (Humax Foxsat HDR) - 20mb BB - M Phone
mattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to all
Re: TiVo

Im going to wait until after the 20th March before I order one with money. As on that raffle it said they could contact you up to 20th March so I'll wait.
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2011, 18:44   #3692
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I would assume only if you have 720p and 1080i selected. If you only select 1080i as it's out put (as the V+ HD does) then it will upscale everything to that?
It tries to yes, but at 1080i it looks even softer than 720p. Even though the TV is still scaling 720p to the native res of the TV (1920×1080).

A.
Old 06-03-2011, 18:46   #3693
graeme2b
Inactive

Services: V+HD, 50MB, Unlimited Phone, Sky+HD 1Tb, Apple iPhone 4, Apple Macbook. TiVo.
graeme2b is on a distinguished roadgraeme2b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Which V+ though? The scaler in the SA V+ was excellent and made SD much sharper than the TiVo. This is on a Panasonic 42V20B.

TiVo now auto-switches between 720p for SD and 1080i for HD, which is a little better, but still not as good as the SA V+. The SA scaler was much shaper than my TVs built in scaler!

Andy.
I Have the SA.. So as good as that...

Graeme
Old 06-03-2011, 18:49   #3694
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
The only thing is the padding isn't intelligent enough to remove requested padding if there's no tuners free, it pops up a box saying you can either turn over or cancel the recording... so you need to switch over, wait for the 2 minutes padding (or whatever) to record then turn back when the tuner is free. At least the V+ cancelled the padding if it caused a clash.

Andy.
Are you saying you have to maanually intervene? What if you've set shows to record to watch later and the TV is switched off?

This change from the way V+ handled padding is a major bakwards step in my view.
Old 06-03-2011, 18:56   #3695
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Are you saying you have to maanually intervene? What if you've set shows to record to watch later and the TV is switched off?

This change from the way V+ handled padding is a major bakwards step in my view.
If you do nothing or it's not switched on (in standby), then it will change channels to record. It's less of an issue with the 3 tuners
Old 06-03-2011, 19:00   #3696
Andy C
cf.addict

Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

Quote:

What DF said

After one minute the box chooses the default action of turning over the channel to record.

A.
Old 06-03-2011, 19:09   #3697
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
If you do nothing or it's not switched on (in standby), then it will change channels to record. It's less of an issue with the 3 tuners
Quote:
What DF said

After one minute the box chooses the default action of turning over the channel to record.

A.
Thanks for that.

I'll reserve judgment untill I've tried it when I get a TIVO, but the the V+ system seems far better to me.
Old 06-03-2011, 19:12   #3698
Andy C
cf.addict

Quote:
but the the V+ system seems far better to me.
I think you'll soon change your mind once you start using TiVo
Old 06-03-2011, 19:14   #3699
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Indeed.. V+HD is a great box, but VM's TiVo is light years ahead.
Old 06-03-2011, 19:20   #3700
Kingofthedead4
Inactive

Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Kingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of societyKingofthedead4 is a pillar of society

Does anybody know if the shop in Leeds has a TIVO box yet?
Old 06-03-2011, 19:21   #3701
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
So, if you've got 2 programmes back to back on different chanels, both with 5 minutes padding before and after (what I currently use), what happens?

The V+ will drop the padding and switch at start of the second programme. What will TIVO do, assuming the other two tuners are tied up recording something else?
Old 06-03-2011, 19:26   #3702
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So, if you've got 2 programmes back to back on different chanels, both with 5 minutes padding before and after (what I currently use), what happens?

The V+ will drop the padding and switch at start of the second programme. What will TIVO do, assuming the other two tuners are tied up recording something else?
Is be interested to know that .
Old 06-03-2011, 19:28   #3703
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:

From what i have read it will use the padding on both?
Old 06-03-2011, 19:29   #3704
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

You would have to watch one or cancel one or let both record and watch a show already recorded, that is until we get three tuners.

Regards

John.
Old 06-03-2011, 19:33   #3705
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
You would have to watch one or cancel one or let both record and watch a show already recorded, that is until we get three tuners.

Regards

John.
the third tuner isn't the point; I'm assuming 3 tuners.
Closed Thread