Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2011, 17:59   #2986
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabiloo View Post
I don't doubt that. I'm a new VM customer, so didn't get the dubious honour of owning a V+. The Samsung basic V box I had (for a week) was plenty bad indeed.
Your a very lucky man! If your new were you an S1 owner?

Quote:
Good for you, but I have and feel aggravated that such a basic user feature could not be present. For example, I don't feel I need BBC One and BBC One HD to be shown, but feel I'm entitled to have BBC One HD shown before BBC Two in my list (matching my viewing habits, rather than the opposite)
I'm with you there, although I might be wrong but isn't there an EPG reshuffle coming?

Quote:
I may be wrong, but isn't that a feature already available on vanilla TiVo S3? If so, it looks like VM disallowed it rather than not implement it... Which begs the question: why and why would they start allowing it?
It could be down to the rights holders, they have said they will enable it though... I think.
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2011, 18:18   #2987
Cozzy
Inactive

Cozzy is on a distinguished roadCozzy is on a distinguished road

too many questions and not enough answers ...

lots of peeps hoping for certain features but no known intention to implement by VM or not
Lots of peeps expecting whats available on the US tivo to be on the VM tivo as standard but either isnt working or no known implementation of it by VM
lots expecting the ethernet port to allow streaming but no one knows if that will or wont happen
parts of the GUI has been worked on and improved over an S1 tivo and some areas of the GUI are still the old S1 tivo screens (or extremely similar) and no word of intention from VM or is it staying as is ... anybodys guess

I can actually understand some people saying or calling it a beta with so many things that are either unfinished or implementation unannounced ... asking/expecting customers to pay for a half finished product is somewhat risky if they then dont get the things they wanted implemented

cant wait for that phone call just so i can say no thanks not interested in a product that is not fully working
Old 24-02-2011, 18:26   #2988
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
I can actually understand some people saying or calling it a beta with so many things that are either unfinished or implementation unannounced ... asking/expecting customers to pay for a half finished product is somewhat risky if they then dont get the things they wanted implemented

cant wait for that phone call just so i can say no thanks not interested in a product that is not fully working
I suppose I'm quite odd, I have been a beta tester for many years (started with Win 95) and really enjoy it, I'm almost sad when said products hit RTM.
Old 24-02-2011, 18:34   #2989
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
too many questions and not enough answers ...

lots of peeps hoping for certain features but no known intention to implement by VM or not
Lots of peeps expecting whats available on the US tivo to be on the VM tivo as standard but either isnt working or no known implementation of it by VM
lots expecting the ethernet port to allow streaming but no one knows if that will or wont happen
parts of the GUI has been worked on and improved over an S1 tivo and some areas of the GUI are still the old S1 tivo screens (or extremely similar) and no word of intention from VM or is it staying as is ... anybodys guess

VM will enable the ethernet and streaming round the house but they won't be doing that till after the main service is running fully. Focus on the basics before going all out.

If TiVo have no plans to change the older SD screens to HD then I don't think VM will be able to convince them otherwise.
Old 24-02-2011, 19:34   #2990
Parlyboy
cf.addict

Services: Everything, sold my soul to Virgin!
Parlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really nice

Interesting set of recent posts regarding the pro's and con's of TIVO but I notice that no one has mentioned one of the major attractions, for me at least, the 1TB drive.

Yes V+ is decent and will do more or less what TIVO does as a basic PVR. On their own the apps and additional software features of TIVO aren't worth £149 BUT the extra 920Gb of space over a V+ box must be worth considering. Yes you could buy a 1TB hard drive and upgrade the V+, but you'd be invalidating your warranty and you still be paying at best £60-ish for the hard drive itself.

So to me the software on its own isn't worth £149 and the extra space on the hard drive on its own isn't worth £149 but the combination of the two and the generally positive (not unanimous of course) reaction to the first release of TIVO makes this a decent and worthwhile upgrade for me.

I'll make up my own mind regarding the quality of the product once I have TIVO but thanks to those who have shared their views both positive and negative.

PB
Old 24-02-2011, 19:38   #2991
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Had one of my SA V+ boxes changed today was faulty really noisy and kept rebooting. Replaced with a Samsung so I'm happy now then other SA V+ box will to replaced with TIVO when I get mine.

I asked VM engineer about the TIVO boxes he told me to wait 6 months before getting one cause of teething problems etc. But said it will all be updated via software updates, not a new box or whatever. So I think i'll get one near launch, going on that. Just have to put up with a few teething problems, I've put up with the SA V+ boxes so I should be ok.

He's got a TIVO box said it's rubbish at the moment loads of problems, stopping recording programmes couple of minutes before they end, turning channels over on it's own etc. He said he didn't do why they just didn't keep the current boxes and just put bigger HDDs in them.
Old 24-02-2011, 19:40   #2992
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlyboy View Post
Interesting set of recent posts regarding the pro's and con's of TIVO but I notice that no one has mentioned one of the major attractions, for me at least, the 1TB drive.

Yes V+ is decent and will do more or less what TIVO does as a basic PVR. On their own the apps and additional software features of TIVO aren't worth £149 BUT the extra 920Gb of space over a V+ box must be worth considering. Yes you could buy a 1TB hard drive and upgrade the V+, but you'd be invalidating your warranty and you still be paying at best £60-ish for the hard drive itself.
So to me the software on its own isn't worth £149 and the extra space on the hard drive on its own isn't worth £149 but the combination of the two and the generally positive (not unanimous of course) reaction to the first release of TIVO makes this a decent and worthwhile upgrade for me.

I'll make up my own mind regarding the quality of the product once I have TIVO but thanks to those who have shared their views both positive and negative.

PB

Do the newer V+ drives take Sata or IDE hard drives? I know the older V+ boxes were IDE.
Think you will struggle to find large capacity IDE drives and a 1tb sata can be got for less than 40 notes

Also V+ boxes are never yours so really at a push you could be causing criminal damage lol . Didnt think there was a warranty as they break VM replace

Old 24-02-2011, 19:54   #2993
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Re: TiVo

Apolgies if this question is been answered 15 pages ago but the issues of having to watch your recordings while being copied off, will this ever be resolved or is that it?

PS WE NEED A STICKY FAQ FOR TIVO

Old 24-02-2011, 20:04   #2994
Cozzy
Inactive

Cozzy is on a distinguished roadCozzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Apolgies if this question is been answered 15 pages ago but the issues of having to watch your recordings while being copied off, will this ever be resolved or is that it?

PS WE NEED A STICKY FAQ FOR TIVO
i think this is another of the functions that has no official answer yet .... suggestion was its a low priority so unlikely to happen within weeks or first few months ... of course VM could drop this completely just as easily but no one but they know the answer

deal-breaker or not is down to personal preference like most missing/broken/not implemented functions at the moment
Old 24-02-2011, 20:13   #2995
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Can i just say can we all get a grip as we do not know what is going to become active and not. Also the staff are not able to say either so can we all just get a grip and stop this childish bickering. For ffffffffffffffffff sake.

Yes and i am ready for the replies to this and the slating?
Old 24-02-2011, 20:16   #2996
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Can i just say can we all get a grip as we do not know what is going to become active and not. Also the staff are not able to say either so can we all just get a grip and stop this childish bickering. For ffffffffffffffffff sake.

I'll start with the slating
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint-roof-slate-tiles-800X800.jpg (158.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 24-02-2011, 20:18   #2997
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post

Like me had a bad day at work today

Old 24-02-2011, 20:20   #2998
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Yes to both of the above
Old 24-02-2011, 20:56   #2999
mattboothers
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V+ & tivo (XL TV) - Freesat+ (Humax Foxsat HDR) - 20mb BB - M Phone
mattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to all

Hi, This is to Digital Fanatic or anyone who can help out.

I got a phone call tonight while watching football. It was automated but I only heard it talk about delivery.

I entered the prize draw for the free TiVO and chose them to phone me up in the evening. My question is that will that have been virgin media.

I also ordered reciner sofas from Argos before and it could have been them but Im worried that me not saying nowt to them because I couldnt hear them will take me out of the TiVO draw.
Old 24-02-2011, 21:03   #3000
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattboothers View Post
Hi, This is to Digital Fanatic or anyone who can help out.

I got a phone call tonight while watching football. It was automated but I only heard it talk about delivery.

I entered the prize draw for the free TiVO and chose them to phone me up in the evening. My question is that will that have been virgin media.

I also ordered reciner sofas from Argos before and it could have been them but Im worried that me not saying nowt to them because I couldnt hear them will take me out of the TiVO draw.
Check the number ( if left ) on whocalledme

http://whocallsme.com/
Closed Thread