Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 14-02-2011, 16:16   #2236
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
why so long on update with a 10mb dedicated line, shouldn't these boxes be updated before install to cut down on time.
The reason that it takes so long is that they are getting throttled for downloading too much.
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2011, 16:19   #2237
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

So going on the two hours an install thats 3 a day possibly 4 and no break, 15 or 20 in a week, 60 - 80 a month x how many installers, hhmmmmmm dont think I'll get mine installed when I thought I would,

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
The reason that it takes so long is that they are getting throttled for downloading too much.
Old 14-02-2011, 16:22   #2238
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
why so long on update with a 10mb dedicated line, shouldn't these boxes be updated before install to cut down on time.
they have the tivo delivered to the warehouse and the installer picks them up to takes them round to the booked address .
if they had to to open all the boxes set them up and download the firmware.
close the boxes give them to the installer who has to open the box again.
and set it up again .
it will take more time .
Old 14-02-2011, 16:22   #2239
ottoni
cf.addict

ottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to behold

Like everything nowadays, me included we all want it yesterday! the fact is we are all priviledged to have forums and insiders on here to leak info to us about upcoming events and channels and tivo boxes. What we do forget (me included) is that this forum should really be called cable forum rumours, because at the end of the day thats all this forum is, its not official, it hasn't been 'allowed' by vm as an official place to get info and it is a bit like wikipedia where we all put our info and ideas together and get worked up into a frenzy. I'm as annoyed as the next man how this roll out has started but we are just forum contributors and nothing else, virgin have a plan, that plan is theirs to know not ours!
Old 14-02-2011, 16:28   #2240
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
TiVo has to talk back to TiVo Centre in the US during the installation. As far as I know, this isn't something that can be done pre-install.

The same way you can't pre-hit and load V+HD before install.

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
they have the tivo delivered to the warehouse and the installer picks them up to takes them round to the booked address .
if they had to to open all the boxes set them up and download the firmware.
close the boxes give them to the installer who has to open the box again.
and set it up again .
it will take more time .
Yes, I agree that would take up more time and delay the installs.
Old 14-02-2011, 16:31   #2241
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

plus it takes about 18min's to dowload the firmware the rest of the time is taken up for the installer to demonstrate the tivo.
if am wrong i will let you know get mine on sat
Old 14-02-2011, 16:47   #2242
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
plus it takes about 18min's to dowload the firmware the rest of the time is taken up for the installer to demonstrate the tivo.
if am wrong i will let you know get mine on sat
18 mins is fast compared to the time it took at first lol. Am sure mine took around an hour!
Old 14-02-2011, 16:50   #2243
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

took about 50 mins to install my tivo thats for everything
Old 14-02-2011, 18:00   #2244
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
took about 50 mins to install my tivo thats for everything
Brilliant. everything working ok? Your levels must of been spot on etc.
Old 14-02-2011, 19:11   #2245
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Brilliant. everything working ok? Your levels must of been spot on etc.
yes all fine here DF
Old 14-02-2011, 19:46   #2246
pesty
Inactive

Services: Big Daddy Bundle
pesty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
yes all fine here DF
Thinking about getting it myself.. Is it worth forking out the £150 initial fee for. Only I wouldn't be surprised if some offer comes along at some point this year.
Old 14-02-2011, 19:53   #2247
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesty View Post
Thinking about getting it myself.. Is it worth forking out the £150 initial fee for. Only I wouldn't be surprised if some offer comes along at some point this year.
i would say it is much better than v+ it a top piece of kit and once the 3rd tuner is up and running will be making most of it
Old 14-02-2011, 19:55   #2248
dazgwinn
Inactive

dazgwinn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Boy's

I'm fed up........
No phone call........
Went to the Dr.'s today...
I wanted to know what else makes a respectable, professional middle aged man who's criminal record in life to date has been a parking ticket in 2001 turn into the most irritable,angry and childish chap out.

Dr said he was waiting for his call too!.....

Come on, come on, COME ON!!!!!
dazgwinn
Old 14-02-2011, 20:03   #2249
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Who needs TiVo when they have this thread to keep them entertained?

In other news why does this box need power levels to be spot on? I take it this is just a precaution as it would look pretty bad if the box showed any signs of issues.
Old 14-02-2011, 20:05   #2250
pesty
Inactive

Services: Big Daddy Bundle
pesty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazgwinn View Post
Hi Boy's

I'm fed up........
No phone call........
Went to the Dr.'s today...
I wanted to know what else makes a respectable, professional middle aged man who's criminal record in life to date has been a parking ticket in 2001 turn into the most irritable,angry and childish chap out.

Dr said he was waiting for his call too!.....

Come on, come on, COME ON!!!!!
dazgwinn
I've not had a call I registered on the first day and have been on the top package for 11 years..
Closed Thread