Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 05-11-2016, 19:06   #991
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
No not at all, I know some VM customers have been lied to but I wonder if they make an extra effort for you Richard.
And why would you wonder that? What an extraordinarily strange thing to come out with that bears no relation whatsoever to the subject under discussion
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2016, 23:33   #992
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'd be grateful if anybody could contact me who has had a V6 box installed outside the two aforementioned areas.
I second that request.
Old 06-11-2016, 00:00   #993
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

[snip]

When TiVo made the hardware and put their software onto them, I bet they were excellent machines, but now they seem to licence their software to any old box.

[snip]

Had TiVo made the boxes, things would be a whole lot different.
Spot on!

My old silver original Tivo box (now sadly long gone) was LIGHTNING fast, press a button, instant response, single 50 mhz processor...

...have cancelled Tivo and TV and gone to Humax Freeview play...

---------- Post added at 01:00 ---------- Previous post was at 00:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Retentions will do anything to save a customer
No they won't.

Customer since 2000 when they launched <gasp> 512k broadband.

Last price rise was one too many. Rang retention's, cancelled phone and Tivo.

They asked why, I told them 3 price rises in 12 months.

No arguing, no "won't you stay".

Now saving £19/month.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:31   #994
Spaceboyo
Inactive

Spaceboyo is on a distinguished roadSpaceboyo is on a distinguished road

I can confirm that I'm in the South West and had the V6 installed.
Spaceboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:40   #995
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboyo View Post
Here come the accusations of being lied to, and probably a threat of legal action...
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:44   #996
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Did you phone them up to enquire about the V6? or did they contact you about having a V6 installed?

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Here come the accusations of being lied to, and probably a threat of legal action...
As night turns to day and day turns to night one imagines.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46   #997
Spaceboyo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Did you phone them up to enquire about the V6? or did they contact you about having a V6 installed?
We're a new customer, they were knocking on the doors round here, we signed up for a 1TB TiVo and a 500GB Tivo, then a few days later got email saying "You're one of the lucky ones!" (Beta testing I guess) Randomly allocated? Your guess is as good as mine. It would make sense to test them across the country, with as many different types of customers as possible, although strangely no mention of being asked for feedback
Old 06-11-2016, 09:48   #998
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Is it correct the new box doesn't have an installed modem and relies on your box being connected to the router ?
It appears the new box needs to be connected to your Hub according to this link , what will happen for those who have their TV service located a great distance from the Hub. Surely using Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K will rely on a decent enough connection to your hub and most will try wifi.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...s/td-p/3248075
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49   #999
Spaceboyo
Inactive

The question about streaming on the V6. It appears to be the same for you people with 2 TiVo boxes? Only difference is they have to be ethernet connected. As we have one V6 and one TiVo, it's pretty much the same, the data goes via the SuperHub 3.0, it's just the V6 sends it via Wifi.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:58   #1000
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
We're a new customer, they were knocking on the doors round here, we signed up for a 1TB TiVo and a 500GB Tivo, then a few days later got email saying "You're one of the lucky ones!" (Beta testing I guess) Randomly allocated? Your guess is as good as mine. It would make sense to test them across the country, with as many different types of customers as possible, although strangely no mention of being asked for feedback
Thanks for that info as yes it is certainly makes good sense to beta test it and obviously Virgin will announce more info on it come the 30th of November as l would imagine it won't be given a full national release until early next year when they are happy that most of the bugs have been ironed out and that it is working smoothly.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:22   #1001
Spaceboyo
Inactive

Well now I've had time to play with the box, been busy!

First bug is that Netflix doesn't currently work on V6 box, apparently due to be fixed (new code written) by 09/11/16
Old 06-11-2016, 10:44   #1002
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

And whats the extra cost for this box
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:51   #1003
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMANUK View Post
And whats the extra cost for this box
l suppose we will have to wait until the 30th of November for that news ones suspects.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:44   #1004
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l suppose we will have to wait until the 30th of November for that news ones suspects.
It will be 'free' of course to replace the not fit for purpose TiVo box. No end of updates have failed to solve its speed problem, so presumably a box replacement is the only solution. Have faith on VM, like what I do
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:46   #1005
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It will be 'free' of course to replace the not fit for purpose TiVo box. No end of updates have failed to solve its speed problem, so presumably a box replacement is the only solution. Have faith on VM, like what I do
l have faith in a good many things Mr K unlike your good self.