Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 20:21   #2446
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Brexiteers are touchingly terrified of the Parliamentary sovereignty they supposedly champion
Nope, my town voted to leave the EU, and if our MP make things awkward for the Article 50 to proceed I can almost guarantee he will not be voted in next time.
Old 03-11-2016, 20:22   #2447
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Ah hahahahahaha.

Oh wait - you're being serious....
I needed something to cheer me up today ... this is it .. thank you
Old 03-11-2016, 20:31   #2448
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Nope, my town voted to leave the EU, and if our MP make things awkward for the Article 50 to proceed I can almost guarantee he will not be voted in next time.
Proud to say my town, being an educated place, voted to remain. Our MP is a Tory brexiter - I shall be dropping him a line to make sure he represents the views of his constituents if parliament gets a debate
Old 03-11-2016, 20:49   #2449
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
It really depends by what percentage they voted to leave and the strength and positions of the other MPs. In Richmond, Zac Goldsmith is likely to be re-elected but his constitutents voted 72% to remain. People vote for other things apart from Brexit.
And of course, opinions change. We saw oday that many Asians who were targeted by Vote Leave have felt they were betrayed as Indian Sub-Continent work visas have not increased and they feel this threatens the viability of Indian restaurants in the UK. The growth of hate crime post the Brexit vote and steep rise in imported ingredients costs due to the weakened £ has further eroded support from this demographic.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:01   #2450
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Not trying to be rude here but am I speaking a foreign language? I have said twice now, now third time, that Parliament already took part in a democratic process and it was voted 6 to 1 to hand the decision back to the people via another democratic process. I am well aware it is not binding, but then you got MPs saying it is, whom am I to take more notice of, these are the law makers after all ?
I think the issue here is what would you have happen? The problem as I see it is that they didn't make it legally binding (when MPs say it's binding I assume they mean politically). That's a mistake that we can't rectify now.

The judges can only deal with the law. They can't take public mood into account, it's not their job. So whilst I agree with you that it's both morally and politically right for the Government to enact Brexit the law says it doesn't have the power to do so. The judges probably made the right decision.

The next question is if that law is correct. I believe it is because the alternative is that the Government can revoke acts passed by Parliament without a Parliamentary vote. Now in this case that isn't a major crisis because we know she has the public behind here on that. However the law and Parliamentary process is technical and doesn't allow for exceptions such as that.

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It really depends by what percentage they voted to leave and the strength and positions of the other MPs. In Richmond, Zac Goldsmith is likely to be re-elected but his constitutents voted 72% to remain. People vote for other things apart from Brexit.
And of course, opinions change. We saw oday that many Asians who were targeted by Vote Leave have felt they were betrayed as Indian Sub-Continent work visas have not increased and they feel this threatens the viability of Indian restaurants in the UK. The growth of hate crime post the Brexit vote and steep rise in imported ingredients costs due to the weakened £ has further eroded support from this demographic.
It's not going to happen unless they have some significant cover. Many Remainers accept that their MP should vote for Brexit because of the referendum rather than have this default to what their constituency voted for. There would need to be a material change in the situation as well as a significant shift in public mood for this to even be considered by the majority of Remain-backing MPs.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:31   #2451
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's not going to happen unless they have some significant cover. Many Remainers accept that their MP should vote for Brexit because of the referendum rather than have this default to what their constituency voted for. There would need to be a material change in the situation as well as a significant shift in public mood for this to even be considered by the majority of Remain-backing MPs.
What I was talking about was the hypothetical situation Hom3r raised of his MP voting to remain whilst the constituents voted to leave. And that it wouldn't necessarily result in his MP being booted out, although this could be quite likely.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:48   #2452
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

We voted to leave, so we should leave - I would just like Parliamentary oversight on the process.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-11-2016 at 21:59.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:50   #2453
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We voted to leave, so we should leave - I would just like Parliamentiary oversight on the process.
And I'm sure we'll get that scrutiny rather than leaving matters in the hands of the three wise men - Davis, Fox and Johnson.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:53   #2454
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
We voted to leave, so we should leave - I would just like Parliamentiary oversight on the process.
Yes the Brexit deal will have winners and losers. Some industries won't have the same access to the single market as others for example. Why shouldn't Parliament have a say in that? Rather than May presenting a fait accompli that might screw over some MP's constituencies.
Old 03-11-2016, 22:05   #2455
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
We voted to leave, so we should leave - I would just like Parliamentary oversight on the process.
But my problem with this is, I am cautious of people wanting to hijack this process and turn it in to a Brexit veto and political parties that are not in power blackmailing the government and insisting on certain conditions to win their vote. I certainly did not vote, for the leave process to either be watered down or stopped in it's tracks.
Old 03-11-2016, 22:11   #2456
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

They lost the court battle, stop wingeing about it!!!
I do wish brexiteers should stop moaning about it and get on with making parliament work, I do wish we should stop talking legal system down like it prevents the odd murder or two and instead be positive for a change about making decisions within the confinements of law. We have a great opportunity to be creative here and make it perfectly legal.

Because they lost court battle I strongly believe the law means the law and we must adhere to it and I am pushing for a hard act of full reading of acts followed by several months of House of Lords debate followed by autumn statement of intent and a general election

After all, this is about taking control after all

<<insert daily express style link here>>
Old 03-11-2016, 22:15   #2457
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
But my problem with this is, I am cautious of people wanting to hijack this process and turn it in to a Brexit veto and political parties that are not in power blackmailing the government and insisting on certain conditions to win their vote. I certainly did not vote, for the leave process to either be watered down or stopped in it's tracks.
The country voted for leave. It didn't decide when it would happen. It didn't decide the terms of the departure so there is nothing to water down/thicken up in the first place. Brexit means Brexit. Theresa May has said she's sticking to her timetable so I can't see what leavers have to worry about.
Old 03-11-2016, 22:54   #2458
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The country voted for leave. It didn't decide when it would happen. It didn't decide the terms of the departure so there is nothing to water down/thicken up in the first place. Brexit means Brexit. Theresa May has said she's sticking to her timetable so I can't see what leavers have to worry about.
Exactly!
Old 03-11-2016, 22:58   #2459
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

GENERAL WARNING

A number of members seem to think it is acceptable to wind each other up with constant, low-level needling and insults. The team is aware of what's going on and who's involved. We are watching and will be issuing infractions to members who can't discuss the issues and a polite and constructive manner.
Old 03-11-2016, 23:03   #2460
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

If Scotland had voted Yes in their referendum, would anyone seriously be saying that Parliament had to still to ratify it and would say no?
Closed Thread