Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Government to monitor Internet Use

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Government to monitor Internet Use

Old 11-05-2012, 01:03   #91
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: Government to monitor Internet Use

see terresa may got herself in twist trying justify snoop technology. More gaffs she does less chance it will be implemented.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...eresa-May.html
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58   #92
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
see terresa may got herself in twist trying justify snoop technology. More gaffs she does less chance it will be implemented.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...eresa-May.html
You see mertle, this is why it's important to check the facts first. A leason for us all there, not just Theresa.
Old 11-05-2012, 18:05   #93
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...#comment-27957

FOI request update:

Unhappy with the Home Office's alleged inability to find any trace of my original request, I contacted WhatDoTheyKnow.com, and was told that "our email logs show that the original request message on 3rd April was accepted by the Home Office's advertised email servers that day".

As such, I have got back to the Home Office, and again requested an internal review, as I believe that my original request was received and therefore the Home Office has missed the original deadline required by law.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 19:40   #94
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...#comment-27957

FOI request update:

Unhappy with the Home Office's alleged inability to find any trace of my original request, I contacted WhatDoTheyKnow.com, and was told that "our email logs show that the original request message on 3rd April was accepted by the Home Office's advertised email servers that day".

As such, I have got back to the Home Office, and again requested an internal review, as I believe that my original request was received and therefore the Home Office has missed the original deadline required by law.
You keep banging away Matt good on ya
but never forget that you are only a member of the public and therefore have no right to know what your government is doing
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28   #95
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
FOI request update:

Keep going Matt
Old 24-05-2012, 18:40   #96
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

The Home Office got back to me on the 17th, sticking with the "we didn't receive it" line.

I then received a final reply today, refusing my FOI request due to section 12 (cost). They said I could revise my request to bring it under the cost limit, & resubmit it, but that some of it (I'd assume most ) may then be refused under section 40 (personal information) instead. This amuses me, as two main reasons I reject the Home Office's own snooping proposals are of course personal information and cost...

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...ncoming-284523

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...e%20Letter.pdf

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...etter.pdf.html
Old 25-05-2012, 18:42   #97
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Monitoring email isnt practical.

Most likely they will get the major isps to tow the line VM, BT etc. For them it will incredibly expensive to do, as there is huge volumes of email on the net and even only just logging headers for a few days takes a lot of resources, so what they would have to do for this legislation would be enormous cost. Probably paid for by some corp tax cuts.

However this is incredibly easy to evade, just host email overseas and in case broadband isp's try to sniff email ports then access email using encryption job done. Its also probable small email providers in the uk wont even bother with this. There is 100s of email providers in a very saturated market.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 14:09   #98
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

found this on my googling. More sinister this.

http://www.euractiv.com/infosociety/...ns-news-512833

So basically there setting up E-ID electronic id system which then can track transactions.

therefore once E-ID in place they can facilitate monitoring.

So effectivaly its homeland security for internet.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:47   #99
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Awesome. I've been name-checked by Hugh Muir in The Guardian regarding my FOI request for Theresa May's Internet History: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...jeremy-heywood
Old 01-06-2012, 18:50   #100
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Awesome. I've been name-checked by Hugh Muir in The Guardian regarding my FOI request for Theresa May's Internet History: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...jeremy-heywood
Well done, Dodd
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:58   #101
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Remember the old rule related to all things MP.

Whats yours is mine but whats mine is my own. That relates to anything they do including having you personal info but you cannot have there's

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 02:56   #102
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh
And so it begins...

Online privacy: Home Office to write blank cheque for 'snoopers' charter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grauniad
The government is to offer a blank cheque to internet and phone firms that will be required to track everyone's email, Twitter, Facebook and other internet use under legislation to be published on Thursday.

The Home Office has confirmed it will foot the bill, thought to run into tens and possibly hundreds of millions, for collecting and storing the extra social media and web browsing records needed to implement the scheme, which critics have dubbed an "online snooper's charter".

Ministers did not put a figure on the cost of the new scheme but said it would be far less than the £2bn price tag estimated when Labour put forward a web-tracking scheme based on a central Home Office database in 2006.

The Liberal Democrats are expected to scale back their criticism of the legislation, which is to be published in draft form on Thursday, after Nick Clegg's intervention secured a series of safeguards, including a scrutiny inquiry by MPs and peers that will report by the end of November.

But the measure is expected to continue to attract fierce criticism from libertarian Conservatives, led by the former shadow home secretary David Davis, who this week attacked it again, calling it "expensive, unnecessary and a huge invasion of everyone's privacy".

An online petition run by the campaign group 38 degrees has already attracted more than 163,000 signatures under the slogan: "Our civil liberties have taken a battering in recent years from politicians of all backgrounds. Now it's time to for us to push back."

(snip)
Ah, so Cleggy has secured safeguards has he? I feel so reassured...

David Davis continues to be the only Tory MP I have any real respect for. I wish he was Home Secretary instead of Theresa May.
Old 14-06-2012, 07:28   #103
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I told you the Liberal Democrats will fold and give in. All that talk they gave is for show, they intended to give in right away!
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 11:38   #104
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

I can see a massive increase in the sales of VPN,s

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 12:03   #105
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I can see a massive increase in the sales of VPN,s
Yes mate, I'm looking in to that