Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Old 28-11-2011, 21:16   #166
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Too true. Sports will continue to sell their TV rights to the highest bidder and that for the foreseeable future will be SKY. I feel sorry for pensioners who can't afford TV subscriptions.
Strange comment, why just pensioners? What about folk on minimum wage and unemployed
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2011, 21:40   #167
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Personally I don't care for F1 or any other form of overpriced go-karting though I do appreciate that there is them that do. Those who are fans do have to recognise that the BBC do need to service a wide range of tastes and desires and can't let one "stream" consume disproportionate levels of money.

Now to get rid of the omnibus soaps not needed with all the catchup/PVR now out there.
You're right. Lets cancel Eastenders. Its as popular as F1 and costs about the same.

Thats the kind of level of impact we're talking about here.
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 22:01   #168
joff81
Inactive

Services: V+ Xl TV package phone L package Broadband L package
joff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to alljoff81 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Yes i do understand the concorde agreement for F1.

But principally my main concern is free to air live coverage,not re-broadcast highlights shows.

The point i was trying to make about skys chequebook was that they will buy the live free to air coverge (when its next fully up for negotiation)leaving free to air with a highights package only.
Yea I totally agree with you as free to air is going to end up with just highlights once SKY get their way in 2018 having no BBC to be nice to.
joff81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 22:43   #169
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Strange comment, why just pensioners? What about folk on minimum wage and unemployed
Sorry I should have expanded. Pay sports channels like SKY's have only been about for 20 years. Many pensioners grew up in an era of terrestrial TV with all sports being free of charge. Over the past 20 years they've witnessed more and more sport disappearing behind a pay-wall. They've went from having everything for free to highlights and limited coverage. They've paid more than most of us for TV licences through their many years.

I still don't think I'm explaining this well enough but I just feel the older generation have lost more. My 20 year old brother was born into a world where SKY already existed, and grew up watching football and tennis on SKY Sports. He has never known a world without pay TV.

Sure I agree that people on minimum wage and unemployed will find it tough to subscribe but hopefully for them a time will come when their circumstances improve and they can afford a little luxury like pay TV. Many pensioners live alone on limited funds and have no real hope of improved income.

I suppose on reflection I should feel both lucky and privileged to be in a position where I can afford VIP50 or VIP100. Some people struggle just to pay for electricity.

God this has turned out to be an even stranger post than my first one JB66
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 22:55   #170
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Services: ultimate oomph bundle M500
trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice

Perhaps I've missed it but scanning through Sky's own advertising, It is intriguing to me that they are not phrasing the new channel as 'exclusive' to Sky Subscribers, only the narrative that it will be free to Sky Sports 1&2/HD subscribers. Which suggests to me that Sky will / are in negotiating with Virgin to take the channel. If they were making the channel exclusive, I'm sure this would be very clear in the advertising of the new channel.

Remember when Sky launched Sky Atlantic, it was very clear that the channel was exclusive to Sky Subscribers and the only place to receive the channel.

I'm not talking through a vested interest here, in that I'm hoping to see it on Virgin....as it doesn't bother me one way or the other.
trevrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 23:00   #171
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

So by the sounds of it you'll pay for the F1 HD channel, and it'll still be full of commercials?

(God I hate Sky's business model if so... you pay for it, and it's expensive as compared to other similar services and you still get the annoyance of ads.)
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 23:10   #172
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Services: ultimate oomph bundle M500
trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
So by the sounds of it you'll pay for the

F1 HD channel, and it'll still be full of commercials?
Sky have said there will be NO commercial breaks during the race...and I believe that is also the case for the qualifiers.
trevrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 23:18   #173
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrpb View Post
Sky have said there will be NO commercial breaks during the race...and I believe that is also the case for the qualifiers.
Theres a few minutes gap between Quali 1/2 and 2/3 so we'll probably get a couple of adverts thrown in there. That doesnt really bother me as long as they are back for the quali session.
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 23:21   #174
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I can never be swayed to Sky. You pay for a premium service and it's still crammed with ads, and more ads (on average) than other free, ad-supported channels.
Old 28-11-2011, 23:32   #175
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
This is why I can never be swayed to Sky. You pay for a premium service and it's still crammed with ads, and more ads (on average) than other free, ad-supported channels.
I remember a time almost 20 years ago when SKY was virtually advert free! Between films on SKY Movies, SKY would just run adverts for films coming soon in recent weeks. Sometimes these would run for 20 minutes. I remember recording Robocop on SKY Movies and leaving the video recording to catch Predator, which was on straight afterwards. In between the 2 films was an advert for The Running Man and a feature on The Running Man which was due to be shown 2 weeks later. It was the best 1980's movie video tape ever!
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 00:01   #176
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

I do too, back when SKY1 was the only Sky channel available on VM's precursor, Nynex.

Funny you should mention Robocop because I'm recording that right now, having not seen it since I was a kid. And I think The Running Man is a camp cult classic, don't care what anyone says...

Anyway, back on topic I suppose.
Old 29-11-2011, 18:18   #177
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
£10 to £20 maybe
More money than sense.
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 18:24   #178
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
More money than sense.
So then, you have returned!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 20:08   #179
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

looks like no US GP

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...medium=twitter
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 20:10   #180
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Was that one of the races that Sky Sports were going to show exclusively live ?
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote