Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Old 27-11-2011, 21:20   #136
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: SKY F1 HD Channel, Any Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I think you missed this bit Muppetman:

Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version.
Meaning if you have SS but not HD you will only get the channel in SD , Sky are using this as a way to get people to upgrade to HD , an F1 fan with a Sky+ box will have two options add SS and get SS channels and F1 in SD or add the HD pack for 10.25 and get the SS F1 HD channel in HD.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2011, 21:24   #137
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

This is what is on the site

Quote:
The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels. It will be found at 408 in Sky's on-screen guide, after a scheduled move of the Sky Sports channels. Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version.
So if you have neither you ain't getting it, and both of the packages are a premium service.

the BLACK bold is them, the RED ME
Old 28-11-2011, 11:00   #138
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Services: ultimate oomph bundle M500
trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice

Not read the full thread so may be repeating what others have said...

Folk need to realise that SKY making the F1 channel available to Virgin, may not be totally in their control. SKY have bought a broadcast package from F1 organisation, so it is the small print in that contract between SKY and F1 as to if SKY will be allowed to offer to Virgin and if they do, if there is a cost to Virgin, which there inevitable will be...and if Virgin do agree anything if allowed to, the price they pay will be the decider on how they price it to Virgin customers.

IF Sky decide NOT to offer the F1 channel to Virgin then that is their prerogative as a commercial entity.
trevrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 11:20   #139
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Totally agree trevrpb.

However, remember that Sky will have F1 sponsors breathing down their neck worried about how the narrowing of the audience on the Sky platform is going to affect their advertising as there will be fewer eyes on the logos plastered all over the cars.
Sky will need to demonstrate that they are achieving the audience figures that make this deal viable. This would be a lot easier if it was broadcast on VM as well as the narrow-cast on the Sky Sports/ Sky HD subset.
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 11:46   #140
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

I heard recently that Freesat was to offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 on Subscription

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...nsiders-pay-tv

Maybe they can offer Sky Sports F1 on Subscription as well
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 11:47   #141
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

I've no inside info but I simply do not believe in anyway shape or form that VM will not get this channel. As dav said, there's no way F1 will be happy with such a narrowing of the sports coverage on TV. We will get free it if we have Sky Sports Package, I believe, or will have to pay as as a stand alone if not.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 11:48   #142
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
Totally agree trevrpb.

However, remember that Sky will have F1 sponsors breathing down their neck worried about how the narrowing of the audience on the Sky platform is going to affect their advertising as there will be fewer eyes on the logos plastered all over the cars.
Sky will need to demonstrate that they are achieving the audience figures that make this deal viable. This would be a lot easier if it was broadcast on VM as well as the narrow-cast on the Sky Sports/ Sky HD subset.
Sky will want some strategic advantage , maybe giving the SD version while advertising Sky the only place to see all F1 races in high definition or possibly keeping the interactive features exclusive but at the minute its all speculation.
Old 28-11-2011, 11:59   #143
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
I heard recently that Freesat was to offer Sky Sports 1 and 2 on Subscription

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...nsiders-pay-tv

Maybe they can offer Sky Sports F1 on Subscription as well
it will not be on freesat or freeview, check there twitter page
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:05   #144
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky will want some strategic advantage , maybe giving the SD version while advertising Sky the only place to see all F1 races in high definition or possibly keeping the interactive features exclusive but at the minute its all speculation.
It would a big dissapointment if they withheld the HD version
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:09   #145
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

The plain old vanilla SD, non-interactive version is fine by me. It will be better than the boiled down mess the BBC will churn out half the time.
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 12:09   #146
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
I've no inside info but I simply do not believe in anyway shape or form that VM will not get this channel. As dav said, there's no way F1 will be happy with such a narrowing of the sports coverage on TV. We will get free it if we have Sky Sports Package, I believe, or will have to pay as as a stand alone if not.
While hoping l won't have to pay anything extra to what l am already paying for Sky Sports it seems Virgin are in another difficult situation and are dammed whatever way they go on this.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:21   #147
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
While hoping l won't have to pay anything extra to what l am already paying for Sky Sports it seems Virgin are in another difficult situation and are dammed whatever way they go on this.
In todays paper denphone and yes i take the Daily Mail ! on page 16 there is a whole page sky advert for their new F1 channel,says the channel will be free to "our" sky sports 1/2 customers.

And the HD version will be free to "our " HD customers with the emphasis very much on the "our".

I would not be at all surprisd from that ad if there is a charge with vm to acess this new channel,otherwise why would sky already be making great play that it will be free to their customers,although i hope i am wrong.

Like i said yesterday denphone for all followers of the sport channel 4 would have been a beter partner,but the BBC chose sky a decision i still find very hard to fathom.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:28   #148
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
In todays paper denphone and yes i take the Daily Mail ! on page 16 there is a whole page sky advert for their new F1 channel,says the channel will be free to "our" sky sports 1/2 customers.

And the HD version will be free to "our " HD customers with the emphasis very much on the "our".

I would not be at all surprisd from that ad if there is a charge with vm to acess this new channel,otherwise why would sky already be making great play that it will be free to their customers,although i hope i am wrong.

Like i said yesterday denphone for all followers of the sport channel 4 would have been a beter partner,but the BBC chose sky a decision i still find very hard to fathom.
The trouble is the BBC are run by a bunch of buffoons most of the time Richard and they certainly don't seem seem to listen to any of the licence payer concerns either.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:32   #149
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The trouble is the BBC are run by a bunch of buffoons most of the time Richard and they certainly don't seem seem to listen to any of the licence payer concerns either.
Agreed denphone as a public organisation they have to claim to listen but in reality its only a very limited excercise,i work in the public sector mate and they have all sorts of policies about listening probably like the BBC,but in reality they take naff all notice just like the BBC.
Old 28-11-2011, 13:38   #150
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post

Maybe Channel 4 simply didn't have the money or feel it worth the risk.