Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 15:43   #721
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all
Re: TiVo

Am I the only one here who is struggling with the 20 hour HD capacity of the V+ box? That's 3 films and a couple of MOTDs before it goes critical. I was fine on SD but I'm really struggling with HD.

As far as I'm concerned I'm upgrading as soon as possible purely to get the 1TB drive. Tivo will be nice, a UI update will be nice, YouTube will be fun initially, but they all pale in to insignificance compared to the 120 hours of HD capacity.

I'm sick of getting nagged to death because my latest MOTD recording has caused Eastenders to fail to record.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2011, 16:20   #722
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by caph View Post
Am I the only one here who is struggling with the 20 hour HD capacity of the V+ box? That's 3 films and a couple of MOTDs before it goes critical. I was fine on SD but I'm really struggling with HD.

As far as I'm concerned I'm upgrading as soon as possible purely to get the 1TB drive. Tivo will be nice, a UI update will be nice, YouTube will be fun initially, but they all pale in to insignificance compared to the 120 hours of HD capacity.

I'm sick of getting nagged to death because my latest MOTD recording has caused Eastenders to fail to record.
I agree,But £190 for a 1tb drive is daylight robbery.
Old 09-01-2011, 16:28   #723
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
well as the v+box uses a Western Digital Caviar 160gb green
don't tell vm but swop it for

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ZCXK0...SIN=B002ZCXK0I
and then
1) PRESS the HOME Button.
2) PRESS and HOLD PLAY button for about 5 secs. E-00 will appear in the display on front of V+box.
3) PRESS T.v Drive or V+ button. E-01 will appear.
4) PRESS CH - button 4 times. as you do Hdd1 - Hdd2 -Hdd3 - Hdd4 will appear.
Reformating your harddrive will start rFT will appear in the window.
the process with pressing the buttons needs to be done in quick time.
The process should take 5 -8 mins depending on how much information is stored on the harddrive.
Old 09-01-2011, 16:45   #724
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by caph View Post

MOTD is not in HD so you are only recording upscaled anyway. Space saving easy step 1
Old 09-01-2011, 16:53   #725
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

But upscalled at source is far better then upscalling SD via your STB so to save space you have to sacrifice quality.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:09   #726
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post

and then
2) PRESS and HOLD PLAY button for about 5 secs. E-00 will appear in the display on front of V+box.
The process should take 5 -8 mins depending on how much information is stored on the harddrive.
cheers matey
Old 09-01-2011, 17:53   #727
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

and then
It's worth pointing out that doing this will break the VM T&C's of your service.

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
If it was just a 1TB, then yes.
Old 09-01-2011, 18:01   #728
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

and then
And risk a hefty charge, together with possible termination of service if anything goes wrong with the service, and the engineer discovers that you have opened the box and broken one (or more) of the anti tamper checks they probably have in the box.

In short, I don't think it's worth the hassle (or the cost).
Old 09-01-2011, 18:07   #729
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

and then
The very first time you called in with a fault that would be noticed and you would have your services terminated and yourself blacklisted.

Also what you advocate will probably not work with the Virginmedia software and viewing card.
Old 09-01-2011, 18:24   #730
vanman
cf.mega poster

vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The very first time you called in with a fault that would be noticed and you would have your services terminated and yourself blacklisted.
if you have a fault yes i agree.
Quote:
Also what you advocate will probably not work with the Virginmedia software and viewing card.
yes it does work it just a hard drive there is no security key on it at all.
Old 09-01-2011, 18:28   #731
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Bearing in mind my own experience of VM, and the fact that this website even exists, I'd say When is more accurate than If.
Old 09-01-2011, 18:58   #732
howardmicks
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It's worth pointing out that doing this will break the VM T&C's of your service.

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

If it was just a 1TB, then yes.
I know what you mean,But if i went and bought a £1000 tv,I would want to have channels to watch.The way its going with vm at min great tech but losing channels and not getting the new ones,The price is putting me off tivo but the concern over channels is also a worry.I am very reluctent to pay the overpriced charge and now its looking like sky are calling the shots on vm getting or not getting channels to tie myself to another 12months contract is becoming a big risk.
Old 09-01-2011, 19:06   #733
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

yes it does work it just a hard drive there is no security key on it at all.
The hard drive you purchase may not have a security key on it but the one in the Virginmedia TiVo will have and it will also have all the software on it that will run the box and therefore if you remove it the box will not work and nor will you be able to transfer that information onto the new drive, why do you think the is a Smartcard in the box.

So a probable expensive mistake and a rather stupid thing to actually advocate doing to equipment they do not own.
Old 09-01-2011, 19:10   #734
howardmicks
Inactive

Quote:
The hard drive you purchase may not have a security key on it but the one in the Virginmedia TiVo will have and it will also have all the software on it that will run the box and therefore if you remove it the box will not work and nor will you be able to transfer that information onto the new drive, why do you think the is a Smartcard in the box.

So a probable expensive mistake and a rather stupid thing to actually advocate doing to equipment they do not own.
The probable expensive mistake at the minute i think will be tivo,But i agree that its a big risk opening yer v+ box
Old 09-01-2011, 19:11   #735
vanman
cf.mega poster

Quote:

this may be so but i was not talking about the tivo .
i was referring to the v+box.
Closed Thread