Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
View Poll Results: TiVo BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
Yes 38 61.29%
No 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 13:36   #16
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

"The service will also be available through the free-to-air platform Freesat and to Virgin Media customers who have a TiVo set-top box. More announcements from other providers are expected soon"
From the Guardian I stand corrected
Old 03-04-2012, 14:23   #17
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
The PR states 24. It was you that posted 48. It's not; it's 24.
I suggest you read it again Carl, 48 Channels is mentioned twice in the PR.

Quote:
The 48 brand new channels, which are being created specifically for the Olympics, will launch into Sky’s Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
Quote:
The 48 new channels will be added to the Sports section of Sky’s Electronic Programme Guide from the 24th of July.
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 14:25   #18
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
"The service will also be available through the free-to-air platform Freesat and to Virgin Media customers who have a TiVo set-top box. More announcements from other providers are expected soon"
From the Guardian I stand corrected
No you are right as this is what it says.

Quote:
The service will also be available through the free-to-air platform Freesat and to Virgin Media customers who have a TiVo set-top box. More announcements from other providers are expected soon.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...12-24-channels
Old 03-04-2012, 14:26   #19
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
I suggest you read it again Carl, 48 Channels is mentioned twice in the PR.
Headline: "Watch every second of the BBC’s 2012 Olympics coverage on Sky with the help of 24 brand new channels, dedicated to the London Games".

Yes, a total of 48 because each one is in both SD and HD.

Just wanting to clarify that Sky are not getting any more channels than VM.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 14:27   #20
paultrademark
Inactive

paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Theres more to the PR than the headline, see my edited post incase you have not actually read the article.
Old 03-04-2012, 14:36   #21
paultrademark
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Yes, a total of 48 because each one is in both SD and HD.
Which is what I said in my first post

48 new channels will be launched on their EPG
Old 03-04-2012, 16:22   #22
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
Which is what I said in my first post

48 new channels will be launched on their EPG

So that`s 24 channels broadcasting in HD & SD giving 48 channels on the EPG.
Do we agree

"Lies, damn lies, & statistics" - or "spin" in today`s terms both fit the bill in this case I think.
Old 03-04-2012, 16:43   #23
paultrademark
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Do we agree

"Lies, damn lies, & statistics" - or "spin" in today`s terms both fit the bill in this case I think.
Yes
Old 03-04-2012, 16:46   #24
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Virgin must offer the exact same service to all of it's customers, the same as SKY. Virgin can't just offer these streams to TiVo customers.
Why must it?, and yes it can.

VM always made it clear, did they not, that only Tivo customers will have access to all the Olympic games streams. The Guardian article underlines this. It is my guess that those who are not prepared to pay for Tivo will have what Freeviewers will have - BBC1, BBC3 and the two Red Button streams.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:58   #25
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Right, clever by Sky. They are going to show the streams as individual channels therefore allowing them to be recorded. Having a squizz at all the info regarding TIVO i couldn't see if there will be an ability to record off our Red Button App... can someone clarify.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:02   #26
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Right, clever by Sky. They are going to show the streams as individual channels therefore allowing them to be recorded. Having a squizz at all the info regarding TIVO i couldn't see if there will be an ability to record off our Red Button App... can someone clarify.
As far as l know there is no ability to record off our Red Button App on Tivo.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:27   #27
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post

VM always made it clear, did they not, that only Tivo customers will have access to all the Olympic games streams. The Guardian article underlines this. It is my guess that those who are not prepared to pay for Tivo will have what Freeviewers will have - BBC1, BBC3 and the two Red Button streams.
Because their 3,500,000 non-TiVo customers, who also pay a TV license fee to the BBC will expect they do. If they don't listen to their customers, and what their customers want, then there is a serious problem.

VM did always make it clear that only TiVo customers will have access to all Olympic streams. This however was announced back in December prior to any suggestion other TV platforms would be launching the streams as stand alone channels, available for free to all their customers. Oh and recordable too.

I've got TiVo and V+ in my bedroom. I want to be able to record events that I can't watch live and I don't want to be restricted to where I watch them in my house.

I'm yet to see any posts in this forum today to suggest the arrangement Virgin has with the BBC for the Olympics via TiVo is any anyway better than what Freesat and SKY are delivering. Can anyone truthfully say what has been announced today paints Virgins plans in a good light?

Why can't Virgin deliver what their customers deserve? Why are they only catering to 12% of their TV customer base? Virgin are hiding BBC content behind a paywall by insisting only TiVo customers can get access.

Gold medal goes to SKY, as per usual. Virgin end up outside the medals wondering what went wrong taking flack from their own customers, as per usual.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:34   #28
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Gold medal goes to SKY, as per usual. Virgin end up outside the medals wondering what went wrong taking flack from their own customers, as per usual.
As l said the other day whoevers devises Virgin's ongoing strategy needs locking up and the keys thrown away because ever since the price rises were announced they have stumbled from one incompetent own goal to another and while they do that Sky sail away to the other side of the world laughing their heads off while Virgin are still stuck in dry dock.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:52   #29
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post

VM always made it clear, did they not, that only Tivo customers will have access to all the Olympic games streams.
That was when the BBC made it clear that the streams would only be made available online or via internet 'connected' devices such as TiVo so not possible on non-Tivo boxes. This is no longer the case so no reason to believe it will still be restricted to TiVo.
Quote:
The Guardian article underlines this. It is my guess that those who are not prepared to pay for Tivo will have what Freeviewers will have - BBC1, BBC3 and the two Red Button streams.
The Guardian is simply referencing older, possibly outdated, info. The BBC announced only today that it will now make its twenty-four live Olympic streams available to cable and satellite providers, on a non-exclusive basis.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:54   #30
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As l said the other day whoevers devises Virgin's ongoing strategy needs locking up and the keys thrown away because ever since the price rises were announced they have stumbled from one incompetent own goal to another and while they do that Sky sail away to the other side of the world laughing their heads off while Virgin are still stuck in dry dock.
I have to agree completely.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote