Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Water Cooled Virgin Dlink 615 Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Water Cooled Virgin Dlink 615 Router

Old 06-07-2010, 10:00   #1
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Water Cooled Virgin Dlink 615 Router

Just for fun, water cooled my spare dlink 615 router (now an access point...)

Temperature on the heatsink dropped from 50c in Idle to 32c... result!

Pointless but fun!

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2010, 11:03   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Water Cooled Virgin Dlink 615 Router

Some people have away too much spare time on their hands :p
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:44   #3
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

erm... pointless, but wow!.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01   #4
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Some people have away too much spare time on their hands :p
Haha im sure the wife would beg to differ... managed to sneak this project in while decorating the house, hence the rather "knocked together" look. This is part of a bigger project... yet to be announced to the world! Watch this space.

And thanks Deathtrap, but your right... its completely pointless but its always fun tinkering!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:06   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I'm thinking about water cooling a water cooler. Now that would be cool!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:12   #6
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road

Haha, well I think it's cool!

You'll be posting pics of your house looking like that Barcley Card water slide advert next, water cooling everything! Nice.
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32   #7
zing_deleted

I assume you used some of that thermal compound adhesive for the water block? I also assume its on a loop in you pc too? would be cooler if the fluid was blue lol
Old 06-07-2010, 13:24   #8
weesteev
Cable Guru

The fluid is blue, its clear tubing. This is part of an existing water loop on my main PC.

Its not thermal paste but thermal tape, the heatsink is holed to allow heat to dissipate from the router so tape was the only option... here another photo...

The routers PCB with thermal tape applied.

Old 06-07-2010, 13:27   #9
zing_deleted

its not very blue though is it lol

fair play though bet you enjoyed the project
Old 06-07-2010, 13:28   #10
weesteev
Cable Guru

Its UV reactive, when its dark it looks superb. (in the case anyway where theres UV lights).

Old 06-07-2010, 13:30   #11
zing_deleted

yeah I had a load of UV stuff in my case but took it all out last rebuild its all just more cables to try and manage and unfortunately my case although massive does not have good management provissioned in it

Trying to manage 6 hard drives and 4 optical is never gonna be an easy task but impossible when the case dont help
Old 08-07-2010, 16:32   #12
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Trying to manage 6 hard drives and 4 optical is never gonna be an easy task but impossible when the case dont help
DVD / Blu Ray factory zing?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 21:19   #13
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
yeah I had a load of UV stuff in my case but took it all out last rebuild its all just more cables to try and manage and unfortunately my case although massive does not have good management provissioned in it

4 Optical drives dude? What are they?
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 21:23   #14
zing_deleted

2 LGs an Pioneer and a Sony

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
DVD / Blu Ray factory zing?
If I was gonna be a factory id have dedicated duplicators
Old 12-07-2010, 21:34   #15
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Cool stuff indeed...
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote