Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V+ Programme Search

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HDMI as Standard

Old 03-02-2008, 23:09   #1
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
HDMI as Standard

Will Virgin Media ever design HDMI as standard into their V set top boxes. If this happened we would all be able to have HD as not everybody wants a V+ box. It cannot be that expensive to incorporate, I would pay that little bit extra for this box to be installed?
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20   #2
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HDMI as Standard

You raise a good point - in 10 years HDMI will have taken the place of the humble SCART. However, I don't think it will happen, at least not with cable in this country. Virgin are still handing out 4k series Pace boxes, and if you want HDMI then you can pay for it. I can't see this changing anytime soon.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 13:08   #3
Ernie_C

Services: Virgin Media Broadband M, TV XL, V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Will Virgin Media ever design HDMI as standard into their V set top boxes. If this happened we would all be able to have HD as not everybody wants a V+ box. It cannot be that expensive to incorporate, I would pay that little bit extra for this box to be installed?
The V+ is currently only £45 more to install than the V box. Why would you want a box WITHOUT PVR function if you wanted HD function as well?
Old 04-02-2008, 22:29   #4
mhatter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie_C View Post
The V+ is currently only £45 more to install than the V box. Why would you want a box WITHOUT PVR function if you wanted HD function as well?
At present the PVR function does not interest me because three years ago i spent a small fortune on a Pioneer HDD/DVD recorder with editing functionality and it would be relegated to an archiving drive if i had a V+ PVR.

I plan to keep my recorder as my primary storage device until either the following occurs

A) HD LCD TV with a built in HD Tuner for Freeview (future proofing the TV)
B) analogue Tuner in my Recorder is rendered useless by digital switchover (2012 in my case)

I will then go head on into HD & V+ land, the question i had at the beginning though is a fair one though
Old 04-02-2008, 22:44   #5
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Editing? Instead of relegating, sell to me! :P I dont blame you keeping that. Those things are expensive. But, on the same token, would it not be nice to have programs recording at once, more than one, and stored so you can send it to the HDD/DVD Recorder? Thats what Im looking to do, because the HDD in the V+ isnt enough for me! :P

I think HDMI and Component will become the new standard in a few years. SKy will do it, no doubt. You will still have to pay extra for HD content, but upscaling would be good.

At the moment, though, Virgin arent exactly at the forefront of technology, so it wont happen for a while.

It is something I have pondered for a while, and it would be interesting to see if any cable boxes without PVR are doing HDMI.

This is what Virgin should hand out from now on.
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 23:20   #6
mhatter67

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post
Editing? Instead of relegating, sell to me! :P I dont blame you keeping that. Those things are expensive. But, on the same token, would it not be nice to have programs recording at once, more than one, and stored so you can send it to the HDD/DVD Recorder? Thats what Im looking to do, because the HDD in the V+ isnt enough for me! :P

I think HDMI and Component will become the new standard in a few years. SKy will do it, no doubt. You will still have to pay extra for HD content, but upscaling would be good.

At the moment, though, Virgin arent exactly at the forefront of technology, so it wont happen for a while.

It is something I have pondered for a while, and it would be interesting to see if any cable boxes without PVR are doing HDMI.

This is what Virgin should hand out from now on.
Hi Grabbi,

At present I am taking a different aproach to your question about recording one digital channel while watching another and making easy archives of tv programes. I have a twin TV digital tuner plus tv software for my Mac computer which allows me to

Buffer live TV
Create playlist's for my favourite show's
Edit recordings
Direct link with Roxio Toast for burning a DVD (apple based burn application)
or convert the recordings into a number of different video file formats

The only problem is that it is Freeview channels but i can live with that as I am in an excellent Freeview coverage area and have my tuner connected to the rooftop Ariel for excellent picture quality
Old 05-02-2008, 00:08   #7
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Ah, thats great.

I have a tuner in my PC, myself, also. Have it next to the Window where the aerial is, just incase theres anything terresrial to record.

With the prices of Freeview Boxes, Im tempted to get one and have it just for the PC.

I can record stuff on here too. Need a PC upgrade before anything, though. The HDD is too small.
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote