Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 10-04-2012, 15:38   #226
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
This post from Craig.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...132719#M123721

I was thinking this was the double speed upgrade so not sure if that is included?
Hmmm, I am on "shep-cmts-11" I think?! The tools site states "cpc16-shep11-2-0-custxxx.8-3.cable.virginmedia.com"

Yet I am still on 10mb and have not had the free speed upgrade, how does the new STM effect me?
horrorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 17:19   #227
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

the STM is not the same time as the speed upgrade.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 19:23   #228
PowerUser
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 152mbit Broadband. But!. massive utilization issues 'Apparently' Killing it.
PowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the roughPowerUser is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
In this case, though, I am right.
Is that some Chinese proverb or something)
Do you somehow think your words are gospel or something, get over yourself for goodness sake, dear oh dear..
PowerUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 19:38   #229
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thank you for yr reply it is confusing as i was told they do manage between 3 and 4 but they couldn't explain the hours gap, as well as saying all traffic was managed until midnight.
I am off on Wednesday so I'll give it a good blast between 1500-1600. I should be able to download 40gb easily in an hour and I'll see if stm kicks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUser View Post
Do you somehow think your words are gospel or something, get over yourself for goodness sake, dear oh dear..
dont start him off again
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 20:00   #230
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUser View Post
Do you somehow think your words are gospel or something...
No, but why shy away from saying so when you know you're right about something I am, of course, as quick to admit to being wrong when I am
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 22:16   #231
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
No, but why shy away from saying so when you know you're right about something I am, of course, as quick to admit to being wrong when I am
"quick" - are you using VMs definition?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 22:38   #232
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

See. Here we go again Less of the personal attacks and I won't have to waste time posting in my own defence.

I'm quicker than other people are to acknowledge when I'm right
Old 13-04-2012, 23:01   #233
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
See. Here we go again Less of the personal attacks and I won't have to waste time posting in my own defence.
it was more of a joke, if it was a dig at anyone it was more at VM
Old 13-04-2012, 23:37   #234
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Fair enough, Craig. It's difficult to tell sometimes
Old 14-04-2012, 01:14   #235
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Old 17-04-2012, 00:32   #236
tomtank62
Inactive

tomtank62 is on a distinguished roadtomtank62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Just one dam minute these measure affect those who

Stream video
Stream Music
Use Spotify
Download from Origin
Download from Steam
Stream from Iplayer
Stream from Netflixs
Stream from Lovefilms
Stream from ITV player
Upload to my FTP
Backup to Cloud including VM's own backup system that they give to every user who wants it.
Upload to my website
Play online gaming
Be a server for an online game
Voip calls
Stream tv to my Ipad when away from home

The list is longer and i am sure others could add to that

When you have a family who use the above ALL the time STM becomes the biggest pain in the arse of any ISP

So what is this normal activity you talk about
I find all this very confusing. So if I watch tv programmes on my pc then at some time STM might kick in and slow down my connection? I assume this doesn't apply if I watch catch-up tv?
My son plays COD on his PS3 online. Would anyone be able to give me any idea of how much traffic this would involve and how long he could play before speed was affected? If he is playing online while I watch a tv programme on my pc will we hit limits sooner?
tomtank62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:28   #237
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtank62 View Post
..if I watch tv programmes on my pc then at some time STM might kick in and slow down my connection?
Yes.
Quote:
I assume this doesn't apply if I watch catch-up tv?
Via VM's TV service? No.

Can't answer your other question. I'm sure someone will though
Old 17-04-2012, 10:36   #238
Ken Jude
Inactive

Ken Jude is on a distinguished roadKen Jude is on a distinguished road

I don't think game playing transfers huge amounts of data does it? All the dawing of landscapes is handled by the machine locally, it's only data relating to changes of position of objects and activities that are transmitted.

At least, that's what I would assume.

I'm starting to get really irritated by the STM now. Anyone know if it's possible to get an exact date of when the doubling will happen in an area and when the switch to the new STM limits will happen?
Ken Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 13:28   #239
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I assume the only way is to keep checking on the VM forums for updates.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:32   #240
Jelly
Inactive

Jelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about themJelly has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtank62 View Post
I find all this very confusing. So if I watch tv programmes on my pc then at some time STM might kick in and slow down my connection? I assume this doesn't apply if I watch catch-up tv?
My son plays COD on his PS3 online. Would anyone be able to give me any idea of how much traffic this would involve and how long he could play before speed was affected? If he is playing online while I watch a tv programme on my pc will we hit limits sooner?
playing games online uses a mostly neglegible amount of traffic, to the point that its not worth worrying about; I would guess at most 100mb per hour.
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote