Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 19-01-2012, 16:37   #256
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

This article suggests the basic HD channels were offered
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/...ter-vmtv-sale/

Quote:
New carriage agreements have been reached for the wholesale distribution of Sky’s basic channels including Sky 1 and Sky Arts over the Virgin Media cable platform. For an additional fee Virgin will also be granted carriage to the HD versions of Sky’s basic HD channels, Sky Sports HD 1 and Sky Sports HD 2, and all Sky Movies HD channels.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2012, 16:47   #257
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
This article suggests the basic HD channels were offered
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/...ter-vmtv-sale/
Some were probably offered but one suspects at prohibitive prices and this itself is abusive market practise and Sky know exactly what they are doing as we have seen by them closing several ex Virgin channels and setting up Sky Atlantic and then keeping it to themselves and one suspects in the next couple of years they will set up more channels and withold them or ask for a prohibitive price where they know the terms will not be accepted. by any sane financially prudent company.
Old 19-01-2012, 16:52   #258
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I suppose Disney , Nat Geo , ITV , ESPN and Nickelodeon are also asking prohibitive prices as well. Sky are using Atlantic as a USP in much the same way VM use TIVO and its fibre optic BB network.
Old 19-01-2012, 17:00   #259
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I suppose Disney , Nat Geo , ITV , ESPN and Nickelodeon are also asking prohibitive prices as well.
One does not know whether they have ever been offered to Virgin but did not Sky and ITV have a exclusive HD deal.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:
I suppose Disney , Nat Geo , ITV , ESPN and Nickelodeon are also asking prohibitive prices as well. Sky are using Atlantic as a USP in much the same way VM use TIVO and its fibre optic BB network.
Well MM l think we will agree to disagree on some of these issues as you are seeing it from a pro Sky point of view and l am seeing it from my own point of view.
Old 19-01-2012, 17:05   #260
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
One does not know whether they have ever been offered to Virgin but did not Sky and ITV have a exclusive HD deal.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...redirect=false

Quote:
ITV's HD channels will become available to Sky+ HD subscribers in autumn, starting with ITV2 in October. ITV was in talks with other providers, Crozier said, including Virgin Media, but the deal was exclusive to Sky among satellite platforms.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well MM l think we will agree to disagree on some of these issues as you are seeing it from a pro Sky point of view and l am seeing it from my own point of view.
A pro VM way
Old 19-01-2012, 17:23   #261
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Denphone, it is hard to see your pov as if Sky really were that bad then VM did themselves no favours by selling more channels to Sky.

It is an issue that VM customers should take up with VM as VM's stance seems to differ from what customers such as yourself want from VM.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 18:26   #262
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Twofour to make business angel show for Sky One

http://www.televisual.com/news-detai..._nid-1079.html

Quote:
Sky 1 has announced the commission of The Angel, its own primetime Apprentice-style show with a twist from Educating Essex producer Twofour.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Sky1 to screen Kiefer Sutherland's new drama Touch from March

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-...uch-from-march

Quote:
From the creator of Heroes, Tim Kring, the show focuses on the life of a widower and single father, Martin Bohm (Sutherland), and his anguish at not being able to connect with his 11-year-old mute son, Jake (David Mazouz).* The story takes a dramatic turn when he discovers his son possesses the ability to see meaning in seemingly unrelated events.
And so it begins: Jake begins to communicate with his father through numbers and his father is charged with the task of deciphering the messages and connecting them to people in the community around them. * *
The show co-stars veteran actor Danny Glover as a professor and expert in gifted children and British actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw as a social worker who assists the father and son.*

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

Seinfeld Returns To Sky Atlantic

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/television/
Old 20-01-2012, 15:50   #263
LexDiamond
Inactive

LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

I've been searching for some details on the forthcoming streaming feature that Sky may be implementing but can't find anything on the following -

1) Will streaming be between Sky+HD stbs only or can you stream from Sky+HD to a Sky HD stb.

2) Will all stbs on an account be able to view the planner and access the recorded content from an stb on that account? E.g. Say I have a main Sky+HD in my living room and have two further multi room stbs. Will both the other stbs be able to access the planner from the 3rd stb at the same time and view different recorded shows?

May be this info isn't available yet which is why I can't find it?
Old 20-01-2012, 16:20   #264
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I'm not sure on question 2 , however to answer 1 I believe the SkyHD box (non PVR) will allow you to watch content from your planner off your Sky+HD box.

Maybe something similar to this , I'm sure DirecTV use NDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=2uOQV-505QY
Old 20-01-2012, 17:00   #265
Jameseh

Since when did Sky have multiroom (not that multiroom)?
Old 20-01-2012, 17:07   #266
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
I'm not sure on question 2 , however to answer 1 I believe the SkyHD box (non PVR) will allow you to watch content from your planner off your Sky+HD box.

Maybe something similar to this , I'm sure DirecTV use NDS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=2uOQV-505QY
Thanks.
Old 20-01-2012, 17:19   #267
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Since when did Sky have multiroom (not that multiroom)?
They haven't yet the SkyHD box was introduced with a network port for this future purpose , I expect the product sometime this year I guess time will tell.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...6&postcount=13
Old 20-01-2012, 17:24   #268
LexDiamond
Inactive

I just realised that in the upgrade section for multiroom on the Sky site that not all customers pay the same for all 2nd stbs. I didn't use the filter as per my current stb

As I already have a 1tb I will get the Sky+HD for free and not £199 as I previously thought so no need for a standard stb.
Old 20-01-2012, 17:28   #269
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
I just realised that in the upgrade section for multiroom on the Sky site that not all customers pay the same for all 2nd stbs. I didn't use the filter as per my current stb

As I already have a 1tb I will get the Sky+HD for free and not £199 as I previously thought so no need for a standard stb.
My contract is up soon for TV , I'm going to negotiate a free 1TB multiroom box I currently only have a Sky+HD box.
Old 20-01-2012, 20:03   #270
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
My contract is up soon for TV , I'm going to negotiate a free 1TB multiroom box I currently only have a Sky+HD box.
I think they are now just £49 when you talk to someone at Sky even though they are advertised as more. Hopefully you can get one for free