Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 22:02   #1441
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels View Post
How does that work. I got my V+ boxes before there was a charge for them. I pay for them monthly (one included in my VIP and the other as an upgrade from the second V box so pay a bit extra per month). I saw later that customers paid a fee for the box, but never paid much attention. For those customers that 'bought' the box, is it still under service contract (ie they fix/replace etc) or is it like buying a Sky box?

Just wondering how it worked with the V+ so I know what to expect with the TiVo when the time comes.
All Virgin boxes remain the property of Virginmedia and are repaired or replaced free of charge. The TiVo will be no different. Virgin do not consider the up front payment to be a purchase price.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2011, 22:10   #1442
Cozzy
Inactive

Cozzy is on a distinguished roadCozzy is on a distinguished road

While Im not saying £149 with the possible addition of £40 for activation (only reported as waved for previous S1 tivo owners so far) is not a resonable charge for the investment VM are making ... the outdated system of only being able to order if paying by card over the phone in advance is the thing i will not compromise on ...

having been a victim of identity theif there is no way i will ever give card details to some stranger over the phone .. just never gonna happen so VM get your act together and let us pay via our monthly bill.

then as a VIP50 customer wheres my sweetner will be the next question i ask as apparently it looks like bills are going by £10 or so according to the VIP thread (not checked this personally though) ... and then it will be why are VIP20 getting free upgrade to VIP30 and VIP50 get no upgrades on BB speed.....

that should be interesting conversation with lots of negative replys i bet

Cozzy
Old 01-02-2011, 22:12   #1443
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
All Virgin boxes remain the property of Virginmedia and are repaired or replaced free of charge. The TiVo will be no different. Virgin do not consider the up front payment to be a purchase price.
Thanks - that's what I thought, but I never understood why some had to pay a one off price for the box and others pay a monthly charge.

So theoretically if I go for a TiVo I pay the charge and activation/installation, then £3 a month, if I return one of my V+ boxes would that 'extra' charge come off my bill? I realise all of this is still speculation and dependent on my package (currently VIP20 with a V+ instead of Vbox) but in essence it sounds like my monthly bill might actually go down?
Old 01-02-2011, 22:14   #1444
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Another one who'll have problems if they ring before the 15th (pay day). It's just after Christmas and everyone's skint. You should have the option of putting it on your bill.
Old 01-02-2011, 22:29   #1445
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
Another one who'll have problems if they ring before the 15th (pay day). It's just after Christmas and everyone's skint. You should have the option of putting it on your bill.
Completely agree. Probably the worst time to be asking people to fork out £150-200 when all the Christmas credit card bills have just landed on the door mat/e-mail inbox.

Putting it on the bill should be the only option as Cozzy says. Who in their right mind would give CC details to someone who phoned them
Old 01-02-2011, 22:31   #1446
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I'm really glad everyone is starting to get called now
Apart from me.

Pouts and starting showing TiVo Tension Symptoms.
Old 01-02-2011, 22:41   #1447
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
Can't the price be added to your bill over a few months.

Tough to expect people to find £200 just like that
Agree, with vat going up petrol and people struggling after xmas.Would hope vm could have sorting something like that
Old 01-02-2011, 23:00   #1448
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels View Post
Thanks - that's what I thought, but I never understood why some had to pay a one off price for the box and others pay a monthly charge.
I'm sure I once saw something on the VM website that if you pay a lump sum, £200 rings a bell, then they will remove the monthly V+ charge of £10. However this may have been before it was free on TV XL. I've had a quick look but there's a high chance that web page no longer exists.
Old 01-02-2011, 23:23   #1449
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The V+ used to cost this much so it makes this box look a bargain.
Disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes I agree seems value to me let's not forget Sky+HD was £299 when it launched and the Sky+HD 1TB box is still over 200 pounds now.
But you own that box.

Ok, rant time.

Over the last few years, many people believe that the monthly fees they pay VM are just like what you pay Sky, in that they are subscription fees. They're not!

The monthly fee we pay VM is made up of three parts:

a. Subscription fees for tv, broadband and/or telephone services.
b. Rental fees for equipment.
c. A fee to connect to VM's network - VM call it telephone line rental.

Because we pay rental fees for equipment, we can get the equipment fixed/replaced if it breaks. It's not free to fix/replace equipment as many people believe, we pay for it every month.

I won't go into V+ as that's old news, but with Tivo, VM propose and I repeat propose, as we don't know all the charges yet, to charge us the following:

1. Our usual monthly fees as outlined above.
2. An additionally monthly charge of £3 to use the service.
3. An upfront charge of one kind or another.

All well and good?? Hell no!!

Lets break this down...

VM propose to charge an upfront fee (item 3) for a box that VM still owns. I'm already paying monthly rental equipment fees (item 1) as outlined above, so what is the upfront fee for? Then to add insult to injury, VM propose to charge an additional £3 per month (item 2) to use the service even though I am already paying them to use their cable tv service (item 1). I'm already paying monthly service charges (item 1), so what the hell is the £3 for. What do VM do to earn that £3? Absolutely nothing, of course!!

But hey I'm sure many will say that's fair, ok. But what if you leave VM? You've paid them a non-refundable upfront fee to purchase a box which you do not own on top of normal monthly rental charges and an additional £3 per month surcharge.

Is that fair? Hell, no!

It's called a triple whammy.

If VM propose to charge me a triple whammy of charges, I propose a triple whammy of complaints to the government, OFT and Consumer focus.

I have waited for something like tivo on cable for 10 years. V+ was poor and I never bothered with it. If it had been 10 years ago, perhaps I might have been more relaxed about the charges. But I watch my pennies now and they are pennies and I am not putting up with this nonsense. VM are saying bend over and take it, no I won't!

I used to say on Sky forums that if people start paying for pay-per-view sports and films, even though they're already paying for subscription sports/film channels, then SKy will charge those fees forever. And that's exactly what they did.

I say its time to stop this nonsense and stand up to this greed. Anyone agree? No, I didn't think so.
Old 01-02-2011, 23:44   #1450
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Disagree.

But you own that box.

Ok, rant time.

Over the last few years, many people believe that the monthly fees they pay VM are just like what you pay Sky, in that they are subscription fees. They're not!

The monthly fee we pay VM is made up of three parts:

a. Subscription fees for tv, broadband and/or telephone services.
b. Rental fees for equipment.
c. A fee to connect to VM's network - VM call it telephone line rental.

Because we pay rental fees for equipment, we can get the equipment fixed/replaced if it breaks. It's not free to fix/replace equipment as many people believe, we pay for it every month.

I won't go into V+ as that's old news, but with Tivo, VM propose and I repeat propose, as we don't know all the charges yet, to charge us the following:

1. Our usual monthly fees as outlined above.
2. An additionally monthly charge of £3 to use the service.
3. An upfront charge of one kind or another.

All well and good?? Hell no!!

Lets break this down...

VM propose to charge an upfront fee (item 3) for a box that VM still owns. I'm already paying monthly rental equipment fees (item 1) as outlined above, so what is the upfront fee for? Then to add insult to injury, VM propose to charge an additional £3 per month (item 2) to use the service even though I am already paying them to use their cable tv service (item 1). I'm already paying monthly service charges (item 1), so what the hell is the £3 for. What do VM do to earn that £3? Absolutely nothing, of course!!

But hey I'm sure many will say that's fair, ok. But what if you leave VM? You've paid them a non-refundable upfront fee to purchase a box which you do not own on top of normal monthly rental charges and an additional £3 per month surcharge.

Is that fair? Hell, no!

It's called a triple whammy.

If VM propose to charge me a triple whammy of charges, I propose a triple whammy of complaints to the government, OFT and Consumer focus.

I have waited for something like tivo on cable for 10 years. V+ was poor and I never bothered with it. If it had been 10 years ago, perhaps I might have been more relaxed about the charges. But I watch my pennies now and they are pennies and I am not putting up with this nonsense. VM are saying bend over and take it, no I won't!

I used to say on Sky forums that if people start paying for pay-per-view sports and films, even though they're already paying for subscription sports/film channels, then SKy will charge those fees forever. And that's exactly what they did.

I say its time to stop this nonsense and stand up to this greed. Anyone agree? No, I didn't think so.
I agree all big companies are greedy.

I don't totally agree with the 'you own the box' argument anymore as once you stop subscribing all you really own is a HD receiver, it ceases to be a PVR. Non PVR freesat HD boxes can be picked up for much less than £100. Then again the standard Sky+ HD box can be free, what I said really only applies to their 1TB box.

However I do accept a unsubscribed Sky box does hold some intrinsic value though whereas a VM box dosen't.

Maybe wait until the 3rd tuner is active and perhaps the price will drop in time too but it's I guess that's unlikely for a while yet.
Old 01-02-2011, 23:47   #1451
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
I agree all big companies are greedy.

I don't totally agree with the 'you own the box' argument anymore as once you stop subscribing all you really own is a HD receiver, it ceases to be a PVR. Non PVR freesat HD boxes can be picked up for much less than £100. Then again the standard Sky+ HD box can be free, what I said really only applies to their the 1TB box.

However I do accept a unsubscribed Sky box does hold some intrinsic value though whereas a VM box dosen't.
But they take it back! So you don't own a HD receiver or anything else when you cancel, it's rental equipment, theirs!

Never thought of your point about the Sky box. Good point.
Old 02-02-2011, 00:28   #1452
No_Socks
Inactive

Services: V+ XL TV 10Mb BB phone Virgin
No_Socks is an unknown quantity at this point

Install date booked: 16th Feb

£149 for box

free installation

£3 extra per month on XL TV package
Old 02-02-2011, 00:33   #1453
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

When did the slightly different form appear at http://tivo.virginmedia.com/tivoupgrade/interest

I only knew about this one https://tivo.virginmedia.com/public/interest ?
Old 02-02-2011, 00:40   #1454
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
then as a VIP50 customer wheres my sweetner will be the next question i ask as apparently it looks like bills are going by £10 or so according to the VIP thread (not checked this personally though) ... and then it will be why are VIP20 getting free upgrade to VIP30 and VIP50 get no upgrades on BB speed.....

that should be interesting conversation with lots of negative replys i bet

Cozzy
I'd check out the current prices being advertised prior to agreeing a new 18 month contract with Virgin at the moment.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles/...e-package.html

I hope the prices on their site are wrong, if not I'll certainly not be taking TIVO and agreeing a new 18 contract.
Old 02-02-2011, 00:53   #1455
PLB
Inactive

PLB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Socks View Post
Install date booked: 16th Feb

£149 for box

free installation

£3 extra per month on XL TV package

Free installation?
Cool.
How did you manage that as I understood it to be £49.00?
Closed Thread