Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2011, 21:20   #3001
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattboothers View Post
Hi, This is to Digital Fanatic or anyone who can help out.

I got a phone call tonight while watching football. It was automated but I only heard it talk about delivery.

I entered the prize draw for the free TiVO and chose them to phone me up in the evening. My question is that will that have been virgin media.

I also ordered reciner sofas from Argos before and it could have been them but Im worried that me not saying nowt to them because I couldnt hear them will take me out of the TiVO draw.
Virgin Media don't do automated prize calls, Matt. More likely someone else.
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2011, 22:19   #3002
mattboothers
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V+ & tivo (XL TV) - Freesat+ (Humax Foxsat HDR) - 20mb BB - M Phone
mattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to allmattboothers is a name known to all

ah ok thanks DF
Old 24-02-2011, 22:35   #3003
Johnlouis
Inactive

Services: TiVo-XL TV; XL30 BB; M Phone; Virgin Mobile
Johnlouis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlyboy View Post
Interesting set of recent posts regarding the pro's and con's of TIVO but I notice that no one has mentioned one of the major attractions, for me at least, the 1TB drive.

PB
Hello everyone. Been standing on the sidelines for the last few months, thought I'd sign up to post this to say I agree with Parlyboy. My main gripe with the V+ is the lack of recording space, especially as most of the stuff I watch is available in HD. I don't seem to watch much live TV anymore (except the BBC News Channel), I just record and watch when I want. Does anyone think the 3rd tuner will be activated before TiVo is rolled out to those of us who pre-registered (i.e. before it's on general release)? I don't want to refuse a box when I finally get the call, but I couldn't manage with just the 2 tuners.
Old 24-02-2011, 22:45   #3004
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlouis View Post
Hello everyone. Been standing on the sidelines for the last few months, thought I'd sign up to post this to say I agree with Parlyboy. My main gripe with the V+ is the lack of recording space, especially as most of the stuff I watch is available in HD. I don't seem to watch much live TV anymore (except the BBC News Channel), I just record and watch when I want. Does anyone think the 3rd tuner will be activated before TiVo is rolled out to those of us who pre-registered (i.e. before it's on general release)? I don't want to refuse a box when I finally get the call, but I couldn't manage with just the 2 tuners.
Hi and to the forum

3rd tuner will be activated in March
Old 24-02-2011, 22:54   #3005
Johnlouis
Inactive

Services: TiVo-XL TV; XL30 BB; M Phone; Virgin Mobile
Johnlouis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the Welcome and the quick reply DF. Looks like I can carry on getting excited for the end of March!
Old 25-02-2011, 10:45   #3006
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

I have to say that the lack of a third tuner is really noticeable on our Tivo. It's not a massive problem and I'm certainly complaining about it but the third tuner on our V+ box was obviously used a hell of a lot more than we realised. We've had the tivo in for 4 days now and when I was setting up all my series links again I came across 4 clashes.

The third tuner activation will be a welcome addition that's for sure
Old 25-02-2011, 12:00   #3007
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

My question about the third tuner is this: The V+ 3rd tuner is never used for recording, only live TV. So when you're not watching TV, you're as likely to have a recording clash with TiVO as you are V+ (except you aren't, with the intelligent recording engine).

So, will the TiVO 3rd tuner be locked for Live TV only (like the V+) or will it (hopefully!) be part of the tuner 'pool' thus enabling you to have *three* concurrent recordings?
Old 25-02-2011, 13:31   #3008
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

I'm still looking forward to getting mine teething problems will be ironed out via software updates not a new box, so will still be worth getting from launch. Plus the 3rd tuner will be active when they launch in April and they have time between now and then to sort of problems and introduce new features.
Old 25-02-2011, 13:34   #3009
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Could somebody explain how Sky are able to block there channels from appearing in the mini TV whilst browsing the Tivo guide?

Is it a purely contractual issue or some form of Sky voodoo magic? If it's contractual then why do they allow it on the current V+ platform?
Old 25-02-2011, 13:35   #3010
PhlangePhace
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo: XXL/XL/XL, Freesat+HD, $ky-FreesatHD, s1 TiVo in the loft!
PhlangePhace is on a distinguished roadPhlangePhace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJSmyth View Post
We've had the tivo in for 4 days now and when I was setting up all my series links again I came across 4 clashes.

The third tuner activation will be a welcome addition that's for sure
So are those clashes because it wants to record 3 things at once? (Presuming it doesn't know whether you'll be watching Lie TV or not at the time of those set recordings).
Old 25-02-2011, 13:39   #3011
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

Those clashes came as a result of two things recording between 9pm and 10pm and wanting to record something between 10pm and 11pm. Because of the padding either side it requires the third tuner to start recording the programme that starts at 10.

The 3rd tuner in the V+ box is used for recordings. You can't actually set three things up to record but in the scenario I've just described the third tuner will start recording the 3rd programme whilst the other two recordings finish.
Old 25-02-2011, 13:41   #3012
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Should of pushed the boat out and had 4 tuners that would of been something that the current V+ boxes didn't have....
Old 25-02-2011, 13:43   #3013
BenJSmyth
Inactive

I find it very rare to have a recording clash with three programmes.

I love the suggestions Tivo is making for us. We've had it since Tuesday and it has already recorded two films from the Sky Movie channels that our right up our street. And the discovery bar is definitely getting more and more personalised for us. Really excellent feature. It might cost an extra £3 a month but I bet there are things it suggests for us that we would never have known were even on! Excellent stuff and worth £3 a month!
Old 25-02-2011, 13:49   #3014
PhlangePhace
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo: XXL/XL/XL, Freesat+HD, $ky-FreesatHD, s1 TiVo in the loft!
PhlangePhace is on a distinguished roadPhlangePhace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Those clashes came as a result of two things recording between 9pm and 10pm and wanting to record something between 10pm and 11pm. Because of the padding either side it requires the third tuner to start recording the programme that starts at 10.
OK, fair enough....

Seems a bit harsh that the padding is 'compulsory' rather than 'used if tuner available', IYSWIM.

So were there not alternative showings available for any of those three programmes?

(BTW, I'm not disputing your claims, I'm justing getting a feel for how the TiVo works in practice)

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Quote:
I love the suggestions Tivo is making for us. We've had it since Tuesday and it has already recorded two films from the Sky Movie channels that our right up our street. And the discovery bar is definitely getting more and more personalised for us. Really excellent feature. It might cost an extra £3 a month but I bet there are things it suggests for us that we would never have known were even on! Excellent stuff and worth £3 a month!
That is, indeed, what TiVo is all about.

This is what Joe Public needs to get their head round to understand the 'real-world' advantage of TiVo.
Old 25-02-2011, 13:52   #3015
borrissey
Inactive

If you want 2 TIVO boxes will it be £6 a month?
Closed Thread