Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 19:04   #1546
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
Can someone explain where the S1 TiVo owners come into the picture please? I take it that there was a TiVo box available some years ago from (one of) the predecessors of Virgin Media. Are these boxes still 'live' and still being supported and updated by VM? It seems from what I've read that the existing owners of these boxes do not have to be on XL or above to use them. Are they just being used for the PVR functionality?
TiVo S1 was available in the UK many years ago and while the menu was similar it was a separate DVR available to purchase on its own and could be used with Sky or freeview or cable. Sky entered into a deal and screwed them over as they released Sky+ not long after.

Many of the users paid a lifetime sub for access to TiVo services and are still using them. It had nothing to Virgin Media back then. That is why TiVo and VM are offering them the new box first, I guess as a thanks for sticking with it or being a previous TiVo user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In early 2000, TiVo partnered with electronics manufacturer Thomson Multimedia and broadcaster British Sky Broadcasting to deliver the TiVo service in the UK market. This partnership resulted in the Thomson PVR10UK, a stand-alone receiver released in October 2000 that was based on the original reference design used in the United States by both Philips and Sony. TiVo ended UK unit sales in January 2003, though it continues to sell subscriptions and supply guide data to existing subscribed units.
Old 02-02-2011, 19:20   #1547
Jameseh

You'd think it was like a food parcel in africa. Wait, and your slightly improved TV service will arrive at your doorstep.

Old 02-02-2011, 23:18   #1548
smokieUK
Inactive

smokieUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine arrived today, shouldn't have come until 15th but cock up, for once worked in my favour.

Very nice it is too.
Old 02-02-2011, 23:23   #1549
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

are you enjoying it so far?
Old 02-02-2011, 23:46   #1550
smokieUK
Inactive

smokieUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Not especially, went out for some beer and a quiz this evening

Looks pretty good, I have to say...
Old 02-02-2011, 23:57   #1551
jonny1983
Inactive

Services: virgin media XL TV V+ HD , 10 meg
jonny1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone now if they'll be more vod content on TIVO then we have currently

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

i'm getting way to obsessed with TIVO its taking over my life
Old 03-02-2011, 00:06   #1552
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

The same content.
Old 03-02-2011, 00:14   #1553
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny1983 View Post
does anyone now if they'll be more vod content on TIVO then we have currently

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

i'm getting way to obsessed with TIVO its taking over my life
You're not the only one

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

Over the last two days I have had it confirmed by someone in Customer Services, someone in sales, some one in the TiVo department and someone in the CEO office that calls are goin out to 5000 random customers with no mention of TiVo S1 subscribers.

I also had it confirmed that although I am a longstanding VIP50 customer, and someone who registered interest on the day the website launched, that I was not on their system for TiVO. The women I spoke to in the TiVo department stated that unfortunately because I wasn't on their list of 5000 customers I wouldn't be getting it installed till March the 14th at the earliest
Old 03-02-2011, 00:16   #1554
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Series 1 TiVo people were called first and according to a thread on the TiVo community forum many of them now have install dates. But now it sounds like although many were called it's now being done randomly.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:47   #1555
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

I'm not getting Tivo but I must have registered my interest at some point maybe when the website first went live.

Got a call around 5pm from an 0800 number offering me it. I was asked if I already had the old Tivo but he said it didn't really matter.

He also said they had a special offer, reduced from £239 to £149, and I asked if there was any further install charge and he said no although it is £3 a month extra. He did say it must be paid by card, it can't be added to the bill.

Mind you he did also say it could record 1000 hours SD, I think he was just getting mixed up with 1000GB though.

The chap sounded like he was possibly from Manchester, indeed we are part of the Manchester network.

Though i'd share for those aroud here.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:59   #1556
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
I'm not getting Tivo but I must have registered my interest at some point maybe when the website first went live.

Got a call around 5pm from an 0800 number offering me it. I was asked if I already had the old Tivo but he said it didn't really matter.

He also said they had a special offer, reduced from £239 to £149, and I asked if there was any further install charge and he said no although it is £3 a month extra. He did say it must be paid by card, it can't be added to the bill.

Mind you he did also say it could record 1000 hours SD, I think he was just getting mixed up wuth 1000GB though.

The chap sounded like he was possibly from Manchester, indeed we are part of the Manchester network.

Though i'd share for those aroud here.
The outbound TiVo team are based in wythenshawe.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:18   #1557
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The outbound TiVo team are based in wythenshawe.
Is Wythenshawe in Manchester?

Edit - Just googled it!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15   #1558
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

There will be lots of the 20000 who pre registered who won't get it for whatever reason , there's a lot who don't want to pay upfront etc.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32   #1559
whizzard
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo & V+ XL TV / XL Telephone / XL 30Mb Broadband with Super Hub
whizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
There will be lots of the 20000 who pre registered who won't get it for whatever reason , there's a lot who don't want to pay upfront etc.
Of course, with any pre-registration process there will always be people who opt not to progress. That means others will then benefit.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:58   #1560
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't had a call yet - but amazingly the world hasn't ended.
Watched TV last night - still worked without TIVO!!
To be honest if it comes March April June - not really bothered.
Mind with the hike in prices for VIP - might reconsider the whole package!
Closed Thread