Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Old 20-10-2007, 00:24   #16
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Virgin VoD vs. Sky Anytime - Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi
I cant believe, also that Sky will only allow you to record 40 Hours of programs if Anytime is used. Not really putting the customer in control.
Just to make a point of order Sky nab 50% of your HDD space even if you choose not to activate Anytime. Sky's take on this outrageous situation is that earlier boxes that cannot use Anytime were only 80giggers anyway.

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
If it's not Sky subscribers starting a ruck it's VM subscribers starting a ruck...

The phrase grow up springs to mind.As does give it a rest,put a sock in it and give it up...
As I have mentioned before, I think it is good to discuss the virtues of different services. I also don't think there is any harm in a little tongue-in-cheek leg pulling or even the odd bit of sticking the tongue out.
So far I think this has been a very good natured thread that is really setting the record straight on the virtues, or not, of the Anytime service for those who don't use the service.
I see no rucking whatsoever.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2007, 00:31   #17
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

VM VOD is the best thing going in the VOD market bar none. If they could sort our the shocking PQ though it would be even better.

Sky Antytime is woeful by comparison and i'd much rather have the disk space.

Saying that, VOD is the ONLY feature that VM has over Sky and its nowhere near enough to make me want to swap, HD content anyone
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 01:07   #18
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Thread moved to Sky discussion area - It seems to be mostly about what the Sky service offers, not VM.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 10:27   #19
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

I am thinking of Sky Anytime instead of VOd, is there any chance that sky might show some itv programmes, or bbc in future ?
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 23:08   #20
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

I think that Sky Anytime is pretty pointless really. Since it only downloads programmes of channels that you are subscribed to. I would think that the user would rather hand pick which programmes they want off their subscribed channels than waste hard disk space on what Sky want to put on. Virgins on demand service is very good, the catch up tv is good, especially if you don't have a V+ box but if you do have a V+ box then its not as useful as you can just choose what you want to record so that you don't miss it. Top Up TV Anytime is better than Sky Anytime because you can't watch a programme when it is on because of the bandwidth shortage on freeview. The problem again is that this eats up all the disk space that you might want for your own personal recordings. All 3 services have there pros and cons which most services do. But with the PVR's I think that providers should give options for different sized hard disks especially with HD content coming out or enable the USB Ports on the boxes so that external hard drives can be hooked up.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 00:51   #21
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_b View Post
I think that Sky Anytime is pretty pointless really. Since it only downloads programmes of channels that you are subscribed to. I would think that the user would rather hand pick which programmes they want off their subscribed channels than waste hard disk space on what Sky want to put on.
Actually Sky Anytime downloads shows selected from across the full spectrum of Sky DTV Channels but you can only watch shows from channels to which you are subscribed. This of course leads to half of your HDD being filled up with shows you cannot watch which is doubly annoying. It is purely a marketing tool and not a very good one at that because of it's high annoyance rating. For instance although I know it won't regain any HDD space I have turned it off purely out of spite. This service is, regrettably, a negative point to what is otherwise almost a flawless service.
Quote:
Virgins on demand service is very good, the catch up tv is good, especially if you don't have a V+ box but if you do have a V+ box then its not as useful as you can just choose what you want to record so that you don't miss it.
VM's VOD idea was good but let down by poor implementation. In my case it was quite regularly unavailable or crashed the STB. When I did get in I found the content extremely haphazard with eps missing or duplicated or complete series just disappearing and even complete sections just becoming completely devoid of content. After a while I just gave up on accessing it.
As for catchup TV, well I found, more often than not, it wasn't even updated for days and days on end. The choice of shows available was also completely catch as catch can. IMO it has a very limited worth and is really just in the realms of a gimmick.
Of particular annoyance was the number of shows on both services that were marked as WS but which in fact dispayed as 4:3. A bit of crafty BW frugality on VM's part I presume.
Quote:
Top Up TV Anytime is better than Sky Anytime because you can't watch a programme when it is on because of the bandwidth shortage on freeview. The problem again is that this eats up all the disk space that you might want for your own personal recordings. All 3 services have there pros and cons which most services do. But with the PVR's I think that providers should give options for different sized hard disks especially with HD content coming out or enable the USB Ports on the boxes so that external hard drives can be hooked up.
Agreed, current HDD space is going to be quite insufficient for HD.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 12:05   #22
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Actually Sky Anytime downloads shows selected from across the full spectrum of Sky DTV Channels but you can only watch shows from channels to which you are subscribed. This of course leads to half of your HDD being filled up with shows you cannot watch which is doubly annoying. It is purely a marketing tool and not a very good one at that because of it's high annoyance rating. For instance although I know it won't regain any HDD space I have turned it off purely out of spite. This service is, regrettably, a negative point to what is otherwise almost a flawless service.

VM's VOD idea was good but let down by poor implementation. In my case it was quite regularly unavailable or crashed the STB. When I did get in I found the content extremely haphazard with eps missing or duplicated or complete series just disappearing and even complete sections just becoming completely devoid of content. After a while I just gave up on accessing it.
As for catchup TV, well I found, more often than not, it wasn't even updated for days and days on end. The choice of shows available was also completely catch as catch can. IMO it has a very limited worth and is really just in the realms of a gimmick.
Of particular annoyance was the number of shows on both services that were marked as WS but which in fact dispayed as 4:3. A bit of crafty BW frugality on VM's part I presume.

Agreed, current HDD space is going to be quite insufficient for HD.
Cant argue one bit with this post
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 14:51   #23
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

My opinions? Both have good points, and both have problems.

VM's pros are conveniance, and amount of content (especially if you don't mind paying). Also, quick (sometimes near instant) access to everything.

cons: The service *can* be unreliable. As pointed out above, it can cause crashes. There are also problems with some programmes being missed. Major pain in the behind there. Especially if you are following a serial. Also, the service doesn't currently include ITV (not a major problem for me, but a lot of people do watch it).

Now, I can't comment too much on Sky Anytime, as I haven't used it much, but here is my opinion.

Pros: Includes every channel you subscribe to.

cons: Uses up half your hard drive space. Anything you want to watch that isn't on the hard drive requires you to start up your PC, and download it from their P2P service (which may take a while).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 03:42   #24
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

skys vod is bad I have it turned off so at least my hdd is of overnight.

The point of sky+ boxes is not anytime however its the recording facilities and live rewind etc. The vod is just an extra freebie on it.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 01:51   #25
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
My opinions? Both have good points, and both have problems.

VM's pros are conveniance, and amount of content (especially if you don't mind paying). Also, quick (sometimes near instant) access to everything.

cons: The service *can* be unreliable. As pointed out above, it can cause crashes. There are also problems with some programmes being missed. Major pain in the behind there. Especially if you are following a serial. Also, the service doesn't currently include ITV (not a major problem for me, but a lot of people do watch it).

Now, I can't comment too much on Sky Anytime, as I haven't used it much, but here is my opinion.

Pros: Includes every channel you subscribe to.

cons: Uses up half your hard drive space. Anything you want to watch that isn't on the hard drive requires you to start up your PC, and download it from their P2P service (which may take a while).
I agree with the Virgin stuff, to a tee. It is unreliable (especially at night) but the content is really good and keeps coming.

I want to stress that I didnt create this to slag off any company.

If Im honest, I did it for myself also, to see how much money Im saving/a better deal etc. And Im quite happy to see those highlighted in this.

I think, also, that it was right to move it to the Sky forum. It is about Sky's content (or lack there-of).

It does come down to both having strong points and weak points. But in this day and age, with IPTV (Vision and Tiscali) coming into the VoD market, I think we all need to be aware of where we can get a better deal.

I hope I managed to stay un-biased because, at the end of the day, I dont hate Sky, and Love Virgin.

They are TV Companies that offer stuff to customers... and I dont want to see myself get overpriced etc, and that is why, if I could, I would do one for BT and Tiscali, on content.

Unfortunatly, Ive looked, and cant really find much information. Plus they are only early players. Personally, I see Sky being 4th in that market now, simply because of the lack of technology for Sky to offer this service, something I feel for Sky Subs. because VoD is definetly the future.

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 ----------

And the ITV content... I believe that is needed on all platforms, as should BBC content and others.

Maybe a takeover would make that happen. And to add that to the VMTV Portfolio would give Cable that edge. Then, to make money, a profit, offer to other companies, and also get the company in other companies good books, so they can deal in future friendly.
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote