Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ upgrading hard drive yourself

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky+ upgrading hard drive yourself

Old 12-06-2007, 21:31   #1
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice
Sky+ upgrading hard drive yourself

I've been told that I can't receive the Sky Anytime for TV as I have the old type box. They want £159 to upgrade and the same to cancel my subscription which has 10 months to run. I didn't get the newer box as I got it for free for staying with Sky and not changing to Virgin. I shall be going to Virgin now next year. But that for the moment is in the future.
Can a hard drive be added to my current box, and will that make the Sky Anytime available as there will be more space?
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2007, 22:27   #2
arcamalpha2004

Re: Sky+ upgrading hard drive yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
I've been told that I can't receive the Sky Anytime for TV as I have the old type box. They want £159 to upgrade and the same to cancel my subscription which has 10 months to run. I didn't get the newer box as I got it for free for staying with Sky and not changing to Virgin. I shall be going to Virgin now next year. But that for the moment is in the future.
Can a hard drive be added to my current box, and will that make the Sky Anytime available as there will be more space?

Presuming that you have the sky+ stb then a larger hard drive can be fitted, the one recommended is the maxtor, if you do a google you should find what you are looking for, but whether doing that will enable you to receive the sky
Anytime tv I can not say for certain.
How long ago did you get the stb? I have had mine around 2 years now and mine is anytime tv enabled.
Old 12-06-2007, 22:32   #3
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

April this year, was told that I need a PVR box, which I understand is the newer model.
Yes, sorry it is Sky+
Old 12-06-2007, 22:47   #4
arcamalpha2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
April this year, was told that I need a PVR box, which I understand is the newer model.
Yes, sorry it is Sky+

Right, it is a sky+ box that you were given april this year? I got mine 2 years ago and I am able to get the anytime tv.
I pressed the services tv button, this opened another menu with the anytime tv option, pressing that option asked the question " set up anytime tv ? " I just selected yes and it was done.
Mine is the thompson box, although I cannot see how that would make a difference.
You say they said you need a pvr, if you have a sky+ box you have a pvr?
Old 13-06-2007, 09:26   #5
moiraf100
Inactive

I've got an amstrad, but when I get home I will do as you say. Sky never made that suggestion to me.
Thanks.
Old 13-06-2007, 09:45   #6
Alanmelon
Inactive

Alanmelon has reached the bronze age
Alanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze ageAlanmelon has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Alanmelon

This thread might be useful. It says you need the V3 box...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/92...y-anytime.html

Also from http://anytime.sky.com/faqs/faqs_ontv.aspx

Quote:
We're always working hard to bring our customers the latest technology to enhance their enjoyment and experience of Sky. Sky Anytime on TV is available now to customers with a Sky HD box and to most customers with the latest Sky+ box. It will be rolled out to the remaining customers with the latest Sky+ box over the coming weeks.

The most recent Sky+ boxes have a larger hard drive in them which means they can support the latest services that we have to offer, such as Sky Anytime on TV. You can check to see if you have a recent Sky+ box by doing the following:

Press the Services button on your remote control

Press 4 - System Setup

Then press 5 - System Details.

The first 4 digits in the Version Number field will tell you what type of Sky+ box you have and you'll then be able to determine if you can receive Sky Anytime on TV. Boxes with version codes 4F21, 9F22, 4E21 and 4E30 will be able to receive this service over the coming weeks. Unfortunately those with codes 4F20, 9F23, 9F21, 9F20 & 4E20 will not.
Alanmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 10:21   #7
moiraf100
Inactive

My code is 4F2001, so I won't be able to get it then.
Old 13-06-2007, 10:41   #8
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

I found a good chap on ebay that's going to do me a pvr2 box (not the anytime one) with a new 250 hd and a new quad lnb for £129.50 inc postage.

He does pvr3 stb's with larger hd also.

Pm me for his email addy.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 10:44   #9
zing_deleted

I got a free box too dont want anytime but I will upgrade the hdd myself. I had a box before and changing the hdd is easy. I managed with brute force and pliers but a torx screwdriver set helps lol
Old 18-07-2007, 19:23   #10
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

I turned off Anytime as there wasn't anything on it I was interested in and I thought it was making the box noisy as it was writing these programs to disk.

Turning it off didn't fix the noise problem, but I haven't missed not having Anytime.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 01:30   #11
slug
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB 10Mb M/Phone XL/TV M, Sky+HD
slug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant futureslug has a brilliant future

This will help.
http://www.morlocks.co.uk/sky.htm
slug is offline   Reply With Quote