Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Being charged for on demand programmes which were never requested

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Being charged for on demand programmes which were never requested

Old 24-03-2015, 23:45   #1
Stevedore78
Inactive

Stevedore78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Being charged for on demand programmes which were never requested

Hi,

Apologies if this is a query that has been answered before. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a scenario whereby on demand services repeatedly appear on a bill in circumstances where the services have not been ordered by the occupier of the house in question.

This is the situation which applies regarding my Mother. She is 75 years old and barely has the ability to switch the television on never mind order an on demand programme. There is no one else in the house would be able to order on demand services and the programmes which are ordered - generally children's programmes aren't ones that she would have the faintest interest in watching.

This has been going on for some time now. She raised the issue back in 2012. Virgin sent out an engineer to check that everything was functioning properly. However, the problem persists. It has gone on the back burner due to bigger issues coming to the fore. However, she was charged £20 in December for a series of on demand programmes and games.

The total amount that she has overpaid is now in excess of £80 and there seems to be no sign that the problem is or will be rectified. Previously Virgin's attitude was that unless she could prove that she hadn't requested the programmes that she would have to pay for them - a pretty appalling attitude in the circumstances.

I am going to take up the cudgels with them but I was wondering if this is a common problem. I'm not technically minded but it would seem to me that someone is hacking into her account and using her pin number to order programmes. It may be that she will have to leave Virgin in order to be sure that further unauthorised are not made from her account.

I'd be happy to hear if anyone has encountered this or has any suggestions how I go about addressing this.

Many thanks
Stevedore78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2015, 06:06   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Being charged for on demand programmes which were never requested

It is possible for virgin to disable all Pay per view on an account
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 06:54   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I suggest you contact ceo.office@virginmedia.co.uk. They can investigate what is happening and, as jb66 says, block On Demand.

You can also change some settings on the Virgin box yourself. Go into the Parental Controls and/or Purchase Controls menus (the menus available will depend on the box type), and set everything to the maximum. Then change the PIN to a random value instead of the easily-guessed default of 1234.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 19:38   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I have a friend who left VM because of this.

He is housebound and lives alone. When his bill erroneously stated that he had watched a PPV movie, he rang to complain and it was removed.

The following month, the same thing happened again, however, when he called VM the second time, they insisted that somebody must have ordered the movie and refused to take it off again.

Apart from effectively being made out to be a liar, he didn't want to risk it happening again, so cancelled.

He received his final bill and didn't want to have any trouble, so decided that he would pay it in full next time his carer went to town.

Within DAYS, the debt had been passed over to a debt collection agency and letters were sent to him. In due course, his carer went to town and paid the bill.

Even after doing this, he kept being harrassed by the debt collection agency, who refused to accept that the bill had been paid.

Eventually, I got him to write an email to the CEO and it was sorted out.

As the old saying goes, it can take years to build up goodwill and loyalty from customers and seconds to destroy it.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 00:12   #5
Stevedore78
Inactive

Stevedore78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your responses. I have e-mailed the CEO as suggested. Hopefully, they will refund my mum and disable the on-demand function. I get the sense that this isn't an isolated case. It calls into question how secure Virgin's set top boxes are. If it was widely known that your account could be hacked into like this ........

Thanks again. I find it quite heart warming that people are willing to take the time to respond to things like this.
Stevedore78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:26   #6
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I have a friend who left VM because of this.

He is housebound and lives alone. When his bill erroneously stated that he had watched a PPV movie, he rang to complain and it was removed.

The following month, the same thing happened again, however, when he called VM the second time, they insisted that somebody must have ordered the movie and refused to take it off again.

Apart from effectively being made out to be a liar, he didn't want to risk it happening again, so cancelled.

He received his final bill and didn't want to have any trouble, so decided that he would pay it in full next time his carer went to town.

Within DAYS, the debt had been passed over to a debt collection agency and letters were sent to him. In due course, his carer went to town and paid the bill.

Even after doing this, he kept being harrassed by the debt collection agency, who refused to accept that the bill had been paid.

Eventually, I got him to write an email to the CEO and it was sorted out.

As the old saying goes, it can take years to build up goodwill and loyalty from customers and seconds to destroy it.
BIB is exactly what happened to me the day after i recieved my final bill it had gone to a debt collector so i made the scumbags wait for their money then they have the nerve to ask you to go out of your way to return their equipment instead of sending someone around to pick it up, vm are scumbags in my eyes and i will never go back to them, they are overpriced money grabbers.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:57   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I suggest you contact ceo.office@virginmedia.co.uk. They can investigate what is happening and, as jb66 says, block On Demand.

You can also change some settings on the Virgin box yourself. Go into the Parental Controls and/or Purchase Controls menus (the menus available will depend on the box type), and set everything to the maximum. Then change the PIN to a random value instead of the easily-guessed default of 1234.
Just to back up spiderplant's advice, the best people to deal with this would be the Ceo's office.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:22   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

But also change the box settings as I advised.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote