Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 27-08-2014, 14:47   #4486
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Finally got moved on to 8 downstream channels earlier on today, was previously on 6.

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4 DS-5 DS-6 DS-7 DS-8
Frequency (Hz) 299000000 Hz 267000000 Hz 275000000 Hz 283000000 Hz 291000000 Hz 307000000 Hz 315000000 Hz 323000000 Hz
Lock Status(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked
Channel ID 79 75 76 77 78 80 215 216
Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Symbol Rate (Msym/sec) 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17
Power Level (dBmV) 0.0 dBmV -1.8 dBmV -1.8 dBmV -1.5 dBmV -2.0 dBmV 0.2 dBmV -0.2 dBmV -0.3 dBmV
RxMER (dB) 36.3 dB 36.8 dB 36.5 dB 36.4 dB 35.9 dB 36.5 dB 36.2 dB 36.0 dB

Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2014, 09:11   #4487
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Had this when arrived home yesterday after a night away. Quickly fixed with a reboot. Any similar experiences recently?

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 15:11   #4488
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Anybody else see a speed bump last night

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 17:21   #4489
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Anybody else see a speed bump last night

Nope. Nothing like that here in Coventry.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 18:12   #4490
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

All fine here too.
Old 08-09-2014, 18:14   #4491
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Nothing like that here in RG41.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 21:41   #4492
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Thanks gents, must be just me then, overdue for some node work this month that should hopefully iron this out.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 21:34   #4493
Meekel
Inactive

Meekel is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I hadn't upgraded to 152Mb so quickly. Poor performance now..

Meekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 22:20   #4494
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

That's either a noise fault or a TBB glitch. What do your modem stats say?

Old 15-09-2014, 22:22   #4495
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No, it's neither.

It's a core network fault. Saw it on several core nodes yesterday and today.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 22:32   #4496
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The later event certainly looks like load, it tailed off after peak time.

Not local load either, DOCSIS doesn't react like that to downstream overbooking.

The way the packet loss disappeared when the load abated makes me think the problem was/is deeper into VM's network.

Point to point Ethernet links congest like that when they have no advanced queuing running on them.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 07:27   #4497
Meekel
Inactive

Meekel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
At times when there's an issue, downstream channels switch between 6 and 7.

http://grab.by/An56
http://grab.by/An58

And this morning, things are obviously better at this time.

http://grab.by/AnV8
http://grab.by/AnVa
Meekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 08:00   #4498
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting. I may have to stand corrected unless there are 2 different issues going on.

Never seen such an extreme reaction from DOCSIS on the downstream before, shouldn't happen if the load balancing is working properly.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 08:29   #4499
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Before commenting on the downstream channels, please - copy & paste the stats rather than putting up images. From our end it makes extra work having to open other files .

Anyway, when you have the problem, you are losing DS-4 & DS-6. So I reckon there's a problem/fault in the circuit that VM will have to rectify.

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Interesting. I may have to stand corrected unless there are 2 different issues going on.

Never seen such an extreme reaction from DOCSIS on the downstream before, shouldn't happen if the load balancing is working properly.
Knowing Igni as I do, he might have said: "I reckon you should have 8 downstream channels, not 7 or 6. One of the 6 will be a bit ugly too for erroring."

On that point, the pre & post RS errors on the downstream would be useful to see. They are present if you don't log into the GUI but instead use the ROUTER STATUS link at the top right of the login screen.

Old 16-09-2014, 22:48   #4500
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Interesting. I may have to stand corrected unless there are 2 different issues going on. Never seen such an extreme reaction from DOCSIS on the downstream before, shouldn't happen if the load balancing is working properly.

You were right earlier

And there are two issues - the massive ping spike is VM's core network, the packet loss is likely more local.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote