Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gmail file attachment issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Addons and Subdomains

Old 08-06-2016, 16:10   #1
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future
Addons and Subdomains

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone can help me?

A friend of mine has registered some extra domains and he was told by his hosting company that he could add them to his current hosting account as Domain Addons through his Cpanel, he could then upload his files and the site would be visible as a standard domain.

I helped him a little as I have had my own site for several years now and used to build websites for some of the small business in my area, for free I might add.

We did as instructed by his host, but, we can only visit the sites as SubDomains, which is not what he wants. The hosting company has not been very helpful at all, but that is another thing.

I have searched the web and it appears this is a pretty common problem when adding domains as Addons but there doesn't appear to be any solution.

Thanks in advanced if anyone can shed any light on the subject, such as is there a setting in a htaccess file that would solve the problem.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2016, 22:03   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Addons and Subdomains

A sub domain generally points to a specific area of the site - like www.bbc.co.uk would be the main domain and say news.bbc.co.uk is the sub domain.

If you got multiple domains on the account then you should be able to control each one through the cpanel and do what you like with them.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:45   #3
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future
Re: Addons and Subdomains

You are right.

You create the Addon Domain from within Cpanel, which we have done but isn't as easy as that.

Once you have added the Addon you should be able to access it by just typing the address addon.com into the browser address bar, but that is not happening, you have to address it as a subdomain.

I am currently talking to a guy employed by Cpanel on their forum, he told me to change the path to the Addon so that it was below the public_html folder, but that doesn't work. In the actual Cpanel documentation it tells you to place the Addon inside the public_html folder, so where do you go from there.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote