Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | well done ntl

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Poole: slow ebay/hotmail

Old 29-03-2004, 20:04   #1
prusling
Inactive

prusling is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL Poole: slow ebay/hotmail

Hi,

For the last couple of weeks, the ebay and hotmail sites take an absolute age to load (minutes), whereas other sites load at normal speeds (600k). I can't see any problem with my settings. Has anyone else found this; are they just very heavily loaded these days, or could it be a proxy issue?

Cheers, Peter
prusling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2004, 20:09   #2
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
Re: NTL Poole: slow ebay/hotmail

Hi,

I'm in Broadstone (BH18), and while I don't use eBay, Hotmail seems okay to me. Certainly not taking minutes to load.

Are you using an STB or SACM?
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 20:10   #3
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Hi Peter and A few people in this area have reported similar problems with ebay over the past week. I have not had problems but it does seem slow ATM.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 20:41   #4
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusling
Hi,

For the last couple of weeks, the ebay and hotmail sites take an absolute age to load (minutes), whereas other sites load at normal speeds (600k). I can't see any problem with my settings. Has anyone else found this; are they just very heavily loaded these days, or could it be a proxy issue?

Cheers, Peter
Same here in Manchester mate.

Its just started working now (ebay) after being down all afternoon. Very annoying especially as im bidding on an item too
wheeliebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 20:42   #5
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Has anyone reported these issues to ntl Tech Support?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 20:51   #6
prusling
Inactive

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Canford Heath and use a stb connection. I moved down 9 months ago from Woking where I must have been one of the original NTL broadband triallists!

I notice that there are a number of hotmail hosts, so I may be on a different server which is particularly slow...

As you say, ebay is almost unusable at present. I tried bidding on something last week and couldn't get my last bid in because of the refresh problems... Oh well, saved some money!

I'll put a report into ntl (if it doesn't cost me a fortune on the phone).

Cheers, Pete
Old 29-03-2004, 21:06   #7
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

hi just call 151 option 2 then faults dont cost nothing and you get put through to the same ppl and my hotmail and ebay seem fine herts
iain_herts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 21:10   #8
wheeliebin
Inactive

wheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the roughwheeliebin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Has anyone reported these issues to ntl Tech Support?
am onto them now cheers for the prompt....

After all the pre-recorded guff i got straight through, somone is just looking into it for me.
Old 29-03-2004, 21:14   #9
wheeliebin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliebin
am onto them now cheers for the prompt....

After all the pre-recorded guff i got straight through, somone is just looking into it for me.
It seems they were unaware.
Its been passed to level 2 faults who will look into it.

I have asked them to check this thread out to see the other people who are affected.

As Neil says if anyone else is having this issue phone in 0845 650 0125 and report it
Old 29-03-2004, 21:35   #10
prusling
Inactive

I've also reported it online.

Cheers, Pete
Old 30-03-2004, 16:16   #11
prusling
Inactive

Just got an unhelpful general e-mail response about broadband speed tests; no mention of ebay or hotmail...
Old 30-03-2004, 17:43   #12
BarFly
Inactive

BarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of lightBarFly is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to BarFly

its more likely to be a proxy issue if affecting hotmail & ebay, try specifing a non local proxy which should resolve the issue........

Though i think there some probs with poole2 ubr at the moment which should be resolved asap.....

hope it helps
BarFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 20:21   #13
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

FFS this is taking the mick, i'm bidding on a item on ebay and can't get to the site... stupid poxy ****y servers... no ones at 151 to complain they all gone home... im gonna demand some compensation for this ****

great cost effective planning, put proxy servers on and give a **** service to everyone so they can complain and get a month free
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote