Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | if my speed goes much slower it will stop

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

if my speed goes much slower it will stop

Old 24-03-2009, 23:03   #46
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: if my speed goes much slower it will stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moolzz View Post
Don't have the BBC one but i have the channel 4 one (4OD) , yes i'm a Shameless addict
Open your task manager and under the process list look for

kservice
kontiki

If they're running they're still using your bandwith.
To stop this open the program and go through the options
You're looking for something along the lines of:-
Don't continue to share when program is closed.

Tick or untick depending on the wording.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2009, 23:04   #47
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

I used to swear by cable and most of my friends using ADSL would tell me to switch to their ISP's as I would save money. But I told them that cable was fantastic as it was so stable - I had 10meg all day long, it was awesome. But since they started going for "superfast mega superduper speeds" that has all gone to pot.

I'm aware that a lot of people seem to have great connections still. But it seems that if you live in a busy city area, you are stuffed. I do wish someone would come and move Manchester university somewhere else (the moon?) as that would solve my problems once and for all.
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 23:12   #48
Moolzz
Inactive

Moolzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
Open your task manager and under the process list look for

kservice
kontiki

If they're running they're still using your bandwith.
To stop this open the program and go through the options
You're looking for something along the lines of:-
Don't continue to share when program is closed.

Tick or untick depending on the wording.
Found kservice in processes , fun part is i booted up 4OD and now apparently my PW is wrong (curse you CCleaner)

I dont think there actually is an option tools thingy for 4OD , cant see one anyway

Edit: just done the netstat thing since closing kservice , 4 things popped up and none were active
Moolzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 23:16   #49
moaningmags
Inactive

moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Quote:
Found kservice in processes , fun part is i booted up 4OD and now apparently my PW is wrong (curse you CCleaner)

I dont think there actually is an option tools thingy for 4OD , cant see one anyway
I had a feeling you might say that so I'm installing it and I'll let you know in a minute or two.
Old 24-03-2009, 23:20   #50
Moolzz
Inactive

i edited my post above , dunno if you noticed :P

kservice was the lil fecker that was making active connections , just done netstat with kservices ended and i had no active connections
Old 24-03-2009, 23:24   #51
moaningmags
Inactive

Quote:
i edited my post above , dunno if you noticed :P

kservice was the lil fecker that was making active connections , just done netstat with kservices ended and i had no active connections
Lol I didn't notice, you're right I don't see any options to stop it from running either.

I've seen so many customers caught out with this.

Now the question is, has it made any difference for you now that it's closed?
Old 24-03-2009, 23:29   #52
Moolzz
Inactive

So looking like it's goodbye to 4OD then

But on a brighter note i can ring 150 and to quote a certain Red Dwarf character , "Smug Mode"

Thanks for all your help bro

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:27 ----------

Yeah it did man,with kservice closed there is no connections established when i do the netstat thing with everything closed
Old 24-03-2009, 23:30   #53
moaningmags
Inactive

Quote:
So looking like it's goodbye to 4OD then

But on a brighter note i can ring 150 and to quote a certain Red Dwarf character , "Smug Mode"

Thanks for all your help bro
You can still use it, what I would do if no option to stop it completely, after using it go to task manager and shut it down that way, shouldn't do any harm as it's not an essential process.

You're very welcome, although you are aware I'm female, Mags and moany
Old 24-03-2009, 23:32   #54
Moolzz
Inactive

haha , my bad

i kinda didnt pay any attention to the name,just seen the scottish flag and remembered not to mention the guy i spoke to on the phone yesterday was also scottish

Edit : it's amazing how one Speedtest can remove the elation of conquering the phantom spyware

4 MB download speed ftw
Old 24-03-2009, 23:37   #55
moaningmags
Inactive

Nah it's cool the main thing is that you're sorted.

I only wish more people were aware of kservice and kontiki.
If I remember correctly netstat -b shows all executables running on a machine.
Trouble is kservice installs as a service so doesn't show in the list.
Old 25-03-2009, 00:19   #56
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
I used to swear by cable and most of my friends using ADSL would tell me to switch to their ISP's as I would save money. But I told them that cable was fantastic as it was so stable - I had 10meg all day long, it was awesome. But since they started going for "superfast mega superduper speeds" that has all gone to pot.

I'm aware that a lot of people seem to have great connections still. But it seems that if you live in a busy city area, you are stuffed. I do wish someone would come and move Manchester university somewhere else (the moon?) as that would solve my problems once and for all.
i know what u mean atm, a lot of people not only in my area that i know but also in ex telewest areas such as Plymouth have said cable has gone down the pan. a lot of my friends have switched to the likes of Sky, Tiscalli, Be Unlimited or even ADSL24.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 04:13   #57
mac10
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media/TV/broadband/phone
mac10 is on a distinguished roadmac10 is on a distinguished road

reading all this makes me mad, As a very happy 2mb user of over six years with no problems Virgin are going to drag me kicking and screaming on to a tier that is very likely going to be over subscribed and suffering stm's resulting in poor service.

Why can't Virigin leave us happy campers alone.
mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 08:50   #58
StevenJohnson
Inactive

StevenJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I had a very stable evening yesterday which was a pleasant change. I'm on the 10meg package and my test results where actually reading just below. There was one occasion when it read just above 6meg but it only lasted about half hour or so.
StevenJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 15:30   #59
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

What speed can one cable coming up from the ground outside a house cope with? I noticed today that the brown cover outside had been pulled off the junction box outside. I screwed it back on but noticed that at my property, the single cable coming up is split into 4, one of which is routed around the back and that is then split into 2 (and just covered with electrical tape) - so that is 6 feeds off what would have been a single feed had this property still have been a house.

I know the area is oversubscribed, but surely that doesn't help matters?
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 18:25   #60
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I noticed today that the brown cover outside had been pulled off the junction box outside
I notice that problem with ours too,every single day.
Only trouble is i couldn`t put the cover back on even if i wanted to.
DSCF0012.JPG
We`ve only been here at the new place about 6 months i suppose so hopefully it`ll be done in time for Xmas
If it`s not though it wont be for a lack of trying.I`ve been on that phone about a dozen times and even had numerous numpties out to look at it.....
Wrong tool trouble obviously.

Thankfully theres not 6 of us hanging of it i suppose.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote