Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36   #766
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

It's not about being clever or not, it's about the concept of what a PVR is

For TiVo it's about the content i.e. you want to record 'Eureka' not 'Whatever is on Channel 4 at 8pm on a Wednesday'

For the V+ it's the other way around for the most part - when you set something to record you are doing it based on the time/date more than what the show is
Old 08-06-2012, 12:07   #767
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
The idea was a user option to activitate per series link not global so if you know your series link needs to record everything to capture a new episode then don't invoke it.
Okay. Fair enough. However, isn't it preferable that it records when it shouldn't as opposed to not recording when it should? So that option isn't really needed.

Quote:
This whole issue comes down to Tivo trying to be too intelligent, sometimes the basic functions of V+ is all that users require and V+ never recorded repeats.
And sometimes didn't record new either. So like I said, technology isn't perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
For TiVo it's about the content i.e. you want to record 'Eureka' not 'Whatever is on Channel 4 at 8pm on a Wednesday'
Nearly. It's on SyFy at 9pm
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 14:04   #768
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's not about being clever or not, it's about the concept of what a PVR is

For the V+ it's the other way around for the most part - when you set something to record you are doing it based on the time/date more than what the show is
Understand the principle of content based searching and would be happy with that approach if TiVo did it properly. Content based services are subject to the quality of the content source and that is clearly lacking thus reason why generic content seems to appear on some programmes and we get this mess. The issue is Tivo works on assuming a “perfect source of information” which is not reality and it handles the lack of specific programme content information poorly.

I am actually looking forward to content based searching which is really of use i.e. when Tivo has access to content based sources rather than channels. On the subject of movies for example, I remember a demo of the Tivo Premier in the USA search for movies across all its sources namely Netflex as well as channel sources, so searching for content from any source.

Happy when Tivo gets there, but still waiting and content access to films is just one area I feel Tivo is looking like it is getting left behind with TV/Xbox/PS3 having film access sources and then I also have to watch those iPad users travelling back on the train from London watching their programmes taken from their Sky box. Catch-up please Tivo!
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 14:17   #769
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The Music Search app is now in Apps & Games.
Old 08-06-2012, 14:18   #770
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Should also be in the 'Music On Demand' menu too
Old 08-06-2012, 14:21   #771
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The issue is Tivo works on assuming a “perfect source of information” ...
Nonsense. Tivo isn't "assuming" anything. Remember GIGO?

Quote:
which is not reality and it handles the lack of specific programme content information poorly.
How else could it handle it?

"Is this a 'new' episode? No idea. I'd better record it anyway, just in case."

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 14:28   #772
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Understand the principle of content based searching and would be happy with that approach if TiVo did it properly. Content based services are subject to the quality of the content source and that is clearly lacking thus reason why generic content seems to appear on some programmes and we get this mess. The issue is Tivo works on assuming a “perfect source of information” which is not reality and it handles the lack of specific programme content information poorly.

I am actually looking forward to content based searching which is really of use i.e. when Tivo has access to content based sources rather than channels. On the subject of movies for example, I remember a demo of the Tivo Premier in the USA search for movies across all its sources namely Netflex as well as channel sources, so searching for content from any source.

Happy when Tivo gets there, but still waiting and content access to films is just one area I feel Tivo is looking like it is getting left behind with TV/Xbox/PS3 having film access sources and then I also have to watch those iPad users travelling back on the train from London watching their programmes taken from their Sky box. Catch-up please Tivo!
What programmes do Sky users get on their iPads?
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 14:38   #773
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Agreed which is a weakness of Tivo, never had this issue with V+ but Tivo schedules recording based in programme content I believe so even when set for “new only” on recordings, it will record a programme when there is only generic information available.
No but unless things have changed a lot in the last year the V+ series links were rubbish. They would miss episodes, couldn't cope very well with time changes, some times would stop halfway through a series. Some long dormant links would suddenly start recording repeats but totally ignore new episodes.

At least with TiVo you have a much better chance at getting your shows recorded, it ain't perfect but IMO way better then what we had before.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 14:56   #774
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
What programmes do Sky users get on their iPads?
Just Sky Go/Anytime which blows anything Virgin have like that out of the water
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 15:31   #775
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Have had a couple of phantom "records"

The one I recall was last week the boss likes Royal pains on Universal .

It came up as being recorded & as a new episode. It was neither,because it simply was not on. A quick check on web site & its was not on at all. Why TiVo thought is a mystery .
Old 08-06-2012, 16:04   #776
zantarous

zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Tried out the new music app and thought it was pretty nice and well laid out and far quicker the. Search on a V+ box.
Old 08-06-2012, 16:06   #777
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes l tried it as well and l have to admit l was well impressed.
Old 08-06-2012, 16:18   #778
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Should also be in the 'Music On Demand' menu too
Not yet! But is it on red button on channel 300.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 16:52   #779
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Nonsense. Tivo isn't "assuming" anything. Remember GIGO?

How else could it handle it?

"Is this a 'new' episode? No idea. I'd better record it anyway, just in case."

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me
Change “assuming” to “dependant” then if that makes you feel better.

Sounds perfectly unreasonable to me. Content based only programming needs accurate data and Tivo is still to getting that from its content service provider.
If you want to regard something a reasonable which does not work properly then that is up to you, strange!

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
No but unless things have changed a lot in the last year the V+ series links were rubbish. They would miss episodes, couldn't cope very well with time changes, some times would stop halfway through a series. Some long dormant links would suddenly start recording repeats but totally ignore new episodes.

At least with TiVo you have a much better chance at getting your shows recorded, it ain't perfect but IMO way better then what we had before.
Accepted zantarous, forget the shortfalls of V+ since was an early adopter of Tivo. Time change issue still applies to Tivo though.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Just Sky Go/Anytime which blows anything Virgin have like that out of the water
Agreed for now. Tivo doesn't have anything yet, we are still waiting for it. Sky have been smart here getting "off-line" viewing going for people who want to watch "on the go" or in my example, find something to do for a 2 hour train journey which is what I would welcome. Tivo is promising more when it arrives i.e. streaming between multiple TIVOs but we are still waiting despite the code update many months ago, which provided the enabler for this.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 17:03   #780
zantarous

I was just having a look at next weeks Eureka and even though it has a generic synopsis its is still tagged with it being Season 5 episode 5 so would still be treated as a new episode.