Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 24-11-2016, 00:32   #1381
OhReally

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Several broadcasters (eg Sky's entertainment channels) have also reduced their SD resolution over the years, which makes the difference even bigger
You can't surely, you could reduce the bit rate...an SD picture is a fixed size isn't it?
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2016, 05:44   #1382
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

They do both I'm afraid, many channels now broadcast 544x576 pixels, which is 3/4 of the proper SD resolution (720x576).

When Sky bought Virgin Media Television, the first thing they did was reduce the resolution of Living etc.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:26   #1383
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
They do both I'm afraid, many channels now broadcast 544x576 pixels, which is 3/4 of the proper SD resolution (720x576).

When Sky bought Virgin Media Television, the first thing they did was reduce the resolution of Living etc.
As I understand it Ofcom and the BBC have looked into the technical standards, what people can actually see etc etc. This isn't noticiable by many and newer TVs have settings which, I believe, work with this standard. It looks like channel's 1-5 will follow with the main channels and the sister channels.
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:07   #1384
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
As I understand it Ofcom and the BBC have looked into the technical standards, what people can actually see etc etc. This isn't noticiable by many and newer TVs have settings which, I believe, work with this standard. It looks like channel's 1-5 will follow with the main channels and the sister channels.
When was that? 10 years ago most people were rocking 28" TV's and DVD players, nowadays you can get cheap 65" TVs from the likes of hisense for under a grand. What people can notice is much different today than it was yesterday.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:10   #1385
cj136uk
Inactive

cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
When was that? 10 years ago most people were rocking 28" TV's and DVD players, nowadays you can get cheap 65" TVs from the likes of hisense for under a grand. What people can notice is much different today than it was yesterday.
I don't disagree although the experts think otherwise
Old 24-11-2016, 10:26   #1386
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Personally I'm happy if they make SD worse. It will force all channels with any pretence of quality to move to HD or better.

On the rare occasion, now, I have to watch SD (normally when my wife is watching cookery), I just accept it's **** and ignore it.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:33   #1387
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Personally I'm happy if they make SD worse. It will force all channels with any pretence of quality to move to HD or better.

On the rare occasion, now, I have to watch SD (normally when my wife is watching cookery), I just accept it's **** and ignore it.
That's terrible mate, you shouldn't put up with that

No place for SD in my house haha
If someone has put on a SD movie channel, I can tell as soon as I walk into the room and switch it to the HD channel lol
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 11:37   #1388
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Having replaced two TVs in the last two years I can say that some sets do a much better job than others of up-scaling the picture. On one of my sets the SD picture quality is almost as good as the HD picture quality on the other. It's still possible to tell the difference especially when viewing text on screen.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 14:59   #1389
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

On my 37 inch Panasonic family members notice little difference between the excellent SD and HD picture quality. I put this down to very good upscaling of the Tivo and a high quality TV ( though it is several years old).
The problem with BBC 1 HD is that you do not get the local news.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 15:02   #1390
cj136uk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
On my 37 inch Panasonic family members notice little difference between the excellent SD and HD picture quality. I put this down to very good upscaling of the Tivo and a high quality TV ( though it is several years old).
The problem with BBC 1 HD is that you do not get the local news.
Hd bbc1 expensive infrastructure needdd for little airtime
Old 24-11-2016, 15:17   #1391
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

They manage fine with BBC1 Scotland HD
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 15:22   #1392
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
It doesn't, you'd need the Slingbox 500 for that, however the 500 didn't support HDCP so it wouldn't work on some channels. I don't think it was ever released in the UK.

I've had to do:
Code:
TiVo -> HDMI Splitter -> Output 1 to TV
                      -> Output 2 to HDFury then Component to Slingbox Pro HD
I think I may move my 1Tb TiVo to the bedroom along with the Slingbox and try and hope that works for a while longer yet and get the V6 as the main box downstairs.

Otherwise it's getting costly with buying a new Slingbox and converters from what I can tell
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 15:34   #1393
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
You can't surely, you could reduce the bit rate...an SD picture is a fixed size isn't it?
http://www.a516digital.com/2016/11/o...ical-code.html

Ofcom are to scrap the requirement for minimum standards in favour of letting the market decide what is best.

They say that they don't expect TV companies to reduce the picture quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
They manage fine with BBC1 Scotland HD
The BBC nations have been done, the BBC intend to convert the 15 regions to HD over one to two years from 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/abouttheb...3-7963e8ec1225
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 23:42   #1394
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The BBC nations have been done, the BBC intend to convert the 15 regions to HD over one to two years from 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/abouttheb...3-7963e8ec1225
Yes, here's to finally getting Look North in HD by 2017. Peter Levy in High Definition, and Keeley Donovan!

(Now back to the topic at hand )
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 17:56   #1395
clayts
Inactive

Services: Tivo; XL TV; L Broadband; M Phone
clayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about themclayts has a spectacular aura about them

Had a good chat with a VM technician today who came to swap out my old TiVo which had failed.

He advised me he'd only fitted one V6, and that all the initial 10,000 that went out have been installed.

He has been advised that the next batch won't be available until February in the East Midlands, so I wouldn't get too excited about the launch next week - seems there aren't warehouses full of V6s ready to install.

He also noted that the idea is that the majority of these will be self-installs, and customers will be able to arrange delivery at a time convenient to them - could possibly involve a system where Yodel and VM link up and customers can book a delivery via Yodel.

Nice bloke, to be fair, and seemed to know what he was talking about

clayts is offline   Reply With Quote