Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 12-02-2017, 10:16   #2851
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Pretty poorly written and researched article that , it states Sky Q only has HDMI 1.4b funny that because I could have sworn it's UHD football is 2160p at 50fps something only possible with HDMI 2.0.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2017, 11:10   #2852
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Pretty poorly written and researched article that , it states Sky Q only has HDMI 1.4b funny that because I could have sworn it's UHD football is 2160p at 50fps something only possible with HDMI 2.0.
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/HD...R/td-p/2407745
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:27   #2853
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Thanks for proving my point did you even read the link you've posted through ?

Sky Q UHD runs at 50fps as such the HDMI is 2 rather than 1.4b which it was software limited to at launch.
Old 12-02-2017, 14:15   #2854
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Sky Q UHD runs at 50fps as such the HDMI is 2 rather than 1.4b which it was software limited to at launch.
Ahem, muppetman, yes of course I read the link, that's why I posted it. I thought it would provide some clarity.

Note that I did not comment on the link, so I'm not really sure I understand why you appear to be criticising me for posting it, old chap.
Old 12-02-2017, 14:19   #2855
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ahem, muppetman, yes of course I read the link, that's why I posted it. I thought it would provide some clarity.

Note that I did not comment on the link, so I'm not really sure I understand why you appear to be criticising me for posting it, old chap.
So you agree it's a poorly researched article ?
Old 12-02-2017, 14:46   #2856
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So you agree it's a poorly researched article ?
As I understand it, the Sky Q box was indeed 1.4 HDMI at launch, and this was clarified in the specification. I understand that this was always intended to be upgraded to 2.0 with a software update.

If that is the reason for you saying that the article was poorly researched, I think that is a little harsh. Was anything else wrong with that article, in your view?
Old 12-02-2017, 15:32   #2857
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

You see nothing wrong

The article was written in February 2017 , Sky has been broadcasting UHD 2160p at 50fps since August 16 so clearly HDMI 2.0 , I'd say poorly written.
Old 12-02-2017, 15:41   #2858
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
You see nothing wrong

The article was written in February 2017 , Sky has been broadcasting UHD 2160p at 50fps since August 16 so clearly HDMI 2.0 , I'd say poorly written.
Well not often do l agree with you old bean but you are certainly spot on with your analysis here.
Old 12-02-2017, 15:49   #2859
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You see nothing wrong

I said it was 'a little harsh'. So what else was wrong with it, or are you just drawing attention to that particular issue?

If you cannot find anything else wrong with the article, then it seems to me that the Sky Q and Virgin's V6 are pretty well on a par with each other, which was the point being made. They both have their differences, which leaves people the choice to go for whichever suits them. That's a good thing, right?
Old 12-02-2017, 16:19   #2860
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Please point out where I've said one is better than the other in fact I think if you look I've actually said they are both good offerings , I'm not however sure what this has to do with my original point that the part of the article I highlighted is incorrect.
Old 12-02-2017, 16:26   #2861
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

That link seems to be to an old discussion with promises rather than facts (not surprising given the age of the discussion)

I really can't see Sky dropping the ball on this one, but are there any recent specs that specifically state HDMI 2 and HDR are available on Sky Q?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 16:37   #2862
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
That link seems to be to an old discussion with promises rather than facts (not surprising given the age of the discussion)

I really can't see Sky dropping the ball on this one, but are there any recent specs that specifically state HDMI 2 and HDR are available on Sky Q?
http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...unches-1314137

As for HDR we've had no word from Sky yet although they've been actively testing it and are part of the UHD alliance so it would be strange if it doesn't.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/...dynamic-range/
Old 12-02-2017, 16:48   #2863
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Please point out where I've said one is better than the other in fact I think if you look I've actually said they are both good offerings , I'm not however sure what this has to do with my original point that the part of the article I highlighted is incorrect.
Let's start again!

You have picked on one point in that article and complained that it was poorly written. All I have done is try to work out whether you see any other inaccuracies with the report and you go out of your way to avoid the question.

The position as I understand it is that the issue you have drawn attention to is just one inaccuracy in the whole report. Given that, the two boxes are pretty well on a par with each other. Given your first sentence, it seems that you agree.

Good, that's cleared that up, then!
Old 12-02-2017, 17:03   #2864
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I honestly give up

If it makes you feel better let's just say it's well written , no wonder standards of journalism are slipping with readers like you.

Let's accept we have differing expectations when it comes to facts and leave it there because I seriously lost the will to go any further.

THE END.
Old 12-02-2017, 17:13   #2865
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I honestly give up

If it makes you feel better let's just say it's well written , no wonder standards of journalism are slipping with readers like you.

Let's accept we have differing expectations when it comes to facts and leave it there because I seriously lost the will to go any further.

THE END.
I'm not sure whether you are deliberately missing the point here. I have merely tried to establish whether you have detected more inaccuracies in the report than you have highlighted. In the absence of an answer, then I think I must conclude not.

The issue is about whether one box is better than the other. I think we agree there's not much in it.

Now, that's the end.