Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 08-12-2016, 17:35   #2131
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs9750 View Post
Did it allow you to reschedule online or did you have to phone up? I had a look and there was a slot showing as available but as soon as I chose it, it said I couldn't reschedule online.
Hi mate yeah you need to phone up option

Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2016, 17:37   #2132
djs9750
cf.member

djs9750 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Hi mate yeah you need to phone up option

Thanks - I'll give it a try. I got 1st February as install date.
djs9750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 17:40   #2133
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Hi everyone first post here. I got the new V6 box installed today and the speed is great compared to the old tivo box.

Just one problem, in the old Tivo box I used HDMI port to main tv and Scart (21 pin?) cable to Kitchen tv. In the V6 box there is no 21 pin scart and not sure what the scart output (9 pin) thing is. Since there is only 1 hdmi port , anyone have a idea to how I can a scart coverter or something?
I think the idea is that you pay them another £300 to get a tablet to use as a small tv without a remote control. I mentioned a page or two back (as have several others) that that totally does not appeal to me and is one of several reasons I won't be upgrading. The only other option is to "buy" a second V6 and connect it with coax and ethernet and have it sitting there doing nothing 99% of the time.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:21   #2134
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Keep checking my Virgin media

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
I think the idea is that you pay them another £300 to get a tablet to use as a small tv without a remote control. I mentioned a page or two back (as have several others) that that totally does not appeal to me and is one of several reasons I won't be upgrading. The only other option is to "buy" a second V6 and connect it with coax and ethernet and have it sitting there doing nothing 99% of the time.
The second v6 will connect totally with wifi

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Can anybody explain what scary out 9 pin does
Old 08-12-2016, 18:23   #2135
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
You would have thought they would have updated the terms and conditions.

"TiVo features: Record three shows and watch a fourth"
Although I get your point, they're the current standard TV terms and I would expect the terms will be updated once it goes on general sale to new customers as well.

Quote:
Here come the targeted adverts we have been hearing about:

"Information about your TiVo use: By having the and/or using the TiVo service you give us your consent to use your viewing information to personalise your TiVo experience (in addition to the other purposes set out in our privacy policy). We may share this information with third parties..."
Those terms have been in since TiVo first launched on VM. TiVo's suggestions and Thumbs wouldn't work without the consent.

Quote:
P.S. No ideas what "By having the and/or using" means.
It's a shorter version of 'By having the TiVo service and/or using the TiVo service'

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:
Nothing. It's not enabled in the UK.

To get a SCART output from the V6, you'd need an HDMI splitter an HDMI to SCART converter.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:25   #2136
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Google it. There's plenty of 9 pin circular to standard SCART adapter cables out there.

BTW its an S-Video port.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:34   #2137
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Google it. There's plenty of 9 pin circular to standard SCART adapter cables out there.

BTW its an S-Video port.
Pointless if its not enabled though
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:38   #2138
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
If it's not then the box is a very backward step. Many people run the SCART into a modulator and /or DVD/HDD recorder as I do to run the TV signal round the house.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:42   #2139
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Those terms have been in since TiVo first launched on VM. TiVo's suggestions and Thumbs wouldn't work without the consent.
Interesting to know that it is not done locally on the box as it was originally, before VM messed around with them. Thanks. They always used to be clever and useful the way Tivo designed it but after it stopped working altogether when VM "made it better" it was never the same again and I like many others then switched them off for good. Shame! I guess there could be financial advantages in being able to control which programs get suggested!!?

Still think it won't be long before targeted adverts start appearing on the menu and pause screens though. Never mind, I'm sure some people will enjoy them. The US still have the option to opt out I understand.

Last edited by MisterQ; 08-12-2016 at 18:46.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:46   #2140
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Although I get your point, they're the current standard TV terms and I would expect the terms will be updated once it goes on general sale to new customers as well.

It's a shorter version of 'By having the TiVo service and/or using the TiVo service'

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Nothing. It's not enabled in the UK.

To get a SCART output from the V6, you'd need an HDMI splitter an HDMI to SCART converter.
can you explain if I get hdmi to scart converter how does that work, as the hdmi is already taken up on v6 to the tv
Old 08-12-2016, 18:50   #2141
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
I'm sure someone said they are getting audio out of it but video is disabled in software and even the audio is "not supported" and could be disabled too at any time.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:52   #2142
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

What a useless bit of kit then. Forcing people to add yet another box to get TV circulated around the home. -10000 points.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:53   #2143
MisterQ

Quote:
can you explain if I get hdmi to scart converter how does that work, as the hdmi is already taken up on v6 to the tv
Even if you could, it is possible that Tivo would not work properly if it cannot "talk" with the tv. Not saying it won't but unless someone has it working, I would not bet on it.
Old 08-12-2016, 18:58   #2144
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
What a useless bit of kit then. Forcing people to add yet another box to get TV circulated around the home. -10000 points.
Don't be melodramatic, scart is very old tech and has no place in today's world. It has to be phased out sometime.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 19:01   #2145
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Hence the need for the HDMI splitter, which splits(ie duplicates) the HDMI signal into 2( or more depending on the splitter) separate HDMI signals. Eg You could have 2 TVs showing the same picture from a single HDMI output.

The HDMI to RCA converters seem to cost less than £10.

Last edited by nomadking; 08-12-2016 at 19:07.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote