Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 23-11-2016, 14:47   #1366
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

[QUOTE=Ultimate.Conj;35871287]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

How we got by before HD, I'll never know lol

TV screens weren't generally so large in 'SD days' and many people had CRT sets, which are kinder to SD pictures. My Panny 32" CRT looked fine with SD
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2016, 14:55   #1367
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=passingbat;35871291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post

TV screens weren't generally so large in 'SD days' and many people had CRT sets, which are kinder to SD pictures. My Panny 32" CRT looked fine with SD
That's true...I forgot about smaller screen and bigger sets lol

These days 55inches seems to be the norm....I bought my mum a 42inch about 10yrs ago, that seemed massive.

But, today on a decent HD tele, the difference between SD and HD is pretty big. The picture of 4K Stranger Things on Netflix on my 55inch looks amazing. And the HDR Grand Tour on Amazon looks stunning.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:57   #1368
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The difference between SD and HD is quite remarkable on a 49" screen. I will let you know whether there is a similar difference when I start getting 4k pictures on my TV shortly. I am expecting these pictures to be quite stunning.

On a small screen, these differences are nowhere near as noticeable.
PC gamers say different and were gaming at HD resolutions on small screens long before the HD buzz words were flying about. It's about viewing distance in relation to screen size and not just screen size alone. The difference between SD and HD is just as evident at 20" as it is at 49" if both are viewed from the correct distance.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 15:03   #1369
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

The lack of scart I can understand but it kills off my slingbox which is annoying.
I use it pretty regularly and it has composite leads into a scart connector.
Looks like there are no composite connectors to go that way either.

Will have to have a ponder about this and what to do as even buying a new slingbox does not look like it will be the fix as does not have HDMI.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 15:09   #1370
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You can get HDMI > SCART

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-SCART-.../dp/B00NAT0W2Y

or HDMI > RCA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musou%C2%AE...qid=1479913661
Old 23-11-2016, 16:27   #1371
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
The lack of scart I can understand but it kills off my slingbox which is annoying.
I use it pretty regularly and it has composite leads into a scart connector.
Looks like there are no composite connectors to go that way either.

Will have to have a ponder about this and what to do as even buying a new slingbox does not look like it will be the fix as does not have HDMI.
There is a HD Slingbox

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...23990-pdt.html

But does it have HDMI?? not sure lol

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 23-11-2016 at 16:34.
Old 23-11-2016, 16:45   #1372
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is a HD Slingbox

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...23990-pdt.html

But does it have HDMI?? not sure lol
It doesn't, you'd need the Slingbox 500 for that, however the 500 didn't support HDCP so it wouldn't work on some channels. I don't think it was ever released in the UK.

I've had to do:
Code:
TiVo -> HDMI Splitter -> Output 1 to TV
                      -> Output 2 to HDFury then Component to Slingbox Pro HD
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:27   #1373
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
In another thread, Ben has kindly shown me how to exclude certain programmes in Wishlists.

Oddly, when I first tried, the cursor moved all over the place but where I wanted it to go to.

I tried new batteries, but it made no difference.

I rebooted the box and that cleared the problem, but had to do a 'connect to VM" as it didn't automatically connect as it used to with my old box.

My heart sank this morning with a couple of brief reappearances of the purple spinning circle, so hopefully this has resolved this too.

I wonder if the V6 will still benefit from the odd reboot; perhaps this clears the cache or something??
Getting a few more small problems with the V6.

The problem of the remote reacting to phantom presses briefly reappeared (could this be Bluetooth playing up)? I've never used this.

Also, twice in a row, it's stopped recording a lunchtime show after two minutes or so, it won't let me delete last night's 'Ordinary Lies' and there seems to be a brief loss of signal on some recordings from anything from a couple of seconds to 10 seconds.

The audio is lost and the picture tears or freezes on one frame.

Anyone else with a V6 having any similar problems?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:29   #1374
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:

The problem of the remote reacting to phantom presses briefly reappeared (could this be Bluetooth playing up)? I've never used this.

Also, twice in a row, it's stopped recording a lunchtime show after two minutes or so, it won't let me delete last night's 'Ordinary Lies' and there seems to be a brief loss of signal on some recordings from anything from a couple of seconds to 10 seconds.

Should have stuck with your Tivo, mate
Old 23-11-2016, 17:34   #1375
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Several broadcasters (eg Sky's entertainment channels) have also reduced their SD resolution over the years, which makes the difference even bigger
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:35   #1376
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Nothing wrong with our TiVo apart from us needing more tuners and a bigger memory.
Old 23-11-2016, 17:36   #1377
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

If you still have your old Tivo remote, you could try that, as It's IR only and may help to see if it is the Bluetooth aspect.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:48   #1378
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Hey, Richard, I'd never let you come within 50 yards of my Tivo!!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 20:43   #1379
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Wow Richard you must be really unlucky, with all the equipment problems you have had.

Last edited by alwaysabear; 23-11-2016 at 20:59.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 21:24   #1380
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Hehe it is better overall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
If you still have your old Tivo remote, you could try that, as It's IR only and may help to see if it is the Bluetooth aspect.
Good idea, thanks I'll try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Hey, Richard, I'd never let you come within 50 yards of my Tivo!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Wow Richard you must be really unlucky, with all the equipment problems you have had.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote