Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:38   #6076
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I'm not.

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

If you are referring to me, I didn't say that. I said:

Saying something is difficult does not mean it cannot be done.
But should we not be saying TIVO will have trouble competing with Sky , just take a look at Sky+ subscriber numbers.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 11:39   #6077
drbob49
Inactive

drbob49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I'm not an field engineer

Mine was installed by a very nice VM TiVo engineer. Took about 3 hours to install due to it being the 2nd he'd installed.

The download from TiVo US took most of the time and I needed my signal levels adjusting in the DP.

I've had a faultless service on my TiVo as the install was top notch.
Installed April 1st, another nice VM engineer, but had to be talked through the setting of levels, frequencies etc by phone from a very knowledgeable person at base. It certainly wasn't plug and play.

Once set up however, it's all fine and well worth £149 + £40 install. My S1 TiVo cost twice as much to buy + lifetime subscription + the same again on hard disc upgrades/replacements.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40   #6078
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yes and no... while suggestions will take up HDD space, your available recording space will not be affected.

If TiVo runs out of HDD space, then older suggestions are deleted to make room

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

Do you have any source for that?
I read an interview by Darroch, of course he didn't use the word tiny but said he effectively expects it to be a tiny take up. I will have a look and get back to you.

In the meantime you posted on here in February stating Virgin Media are going on a 'HD Shopping Spree'.

I suppose you will not be able to provide proof as it's confidential but is there any way you can give an indication as to when the said 'spree' will commence? You further said that if customers expect extra content they must pay for it, as prices have now risen
and nothing has been added to XL perhaps you might comment on that too?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54   #6079
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
But should we not be saying TIVO will have trouble competing with Sky , just take a look at Sky+ subscriber numbers.
Tivo are not competing with Sky.. Virgin are using Tivo as a weapon to compete against sky.

Anyway, pedantics aside, I was talking about in terms of features. No one knows what impact it will have on the customer base, as it has not long launched.

Anyway, if you are going to talk Customer Numbers, I believe Freeview leaves both Sky and Virgin in it's dust.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09   #6080
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
I read an interview by Darroch, of course he didn't use the word tiny but said he effectively expects it to be a tiny take up. I will have a look and get back to you.

In the meantime you posted on here in February stating Virgin Media are going on a 'HD Shopping Spree'.

I suppose you will not be able to provide proof as it's confidential but is there any way you can give an indication as to when the said 'spree' will commence? You further said that if customers expect extra content they must pay for it, as prices have now risen
and nothing has been added to XL perhaps you might comment on that too?

I suppose all Sky+HD 1TB offers over a standard box is extra storage, so take up over a "free" box would be lower.

More HD is certainly something VM are adding this year, I can't go in to specifics at this time due to confidentiality. VM did however provide this announcement in their price rise email

April is the normal price rise time for VM, they added a lot of content over the last 12 months, especially HD channels.

You can't really expect channels to be instantly added on the 1st of April... they are coming though.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12   #6081
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Tivo are not competing with Sky.. Virgin are using Tivo as a weapon to compete against sky.

Anyway, pedantics aside, I was talking about in terms of features. No one knows what impact it will have on the customer base, as it has not long launched.

Anyway, if you are going to talk Customer Numbers, I believe Freeview leaves both Sky and Virgin in it's dust.
Seems a strange comparison to make free TV with a pay TV platform , considering most set ship with freeview installed. A question what are these killer features , I will give you being able to record 3 programmes is superior to Sky but what others. It seems clear to me in the US that TIVO is just for the enthusiasts and not mass market , which was proven last quarter when over 200,000 subscribers left.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20   #6082
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Nice to have Digital Fantastic back as there was a rumour going round that he wae doing a Lord Lucan.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31   #6083
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Nice to have Digital Fantastic back as there was a rumour going round that he wae doing a Lord Lucan.
Cheers Denphone
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33   #6084
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

sky sports red button and more hd channels should be another good year for us VM customers

PS welcome back DF
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37   #6085
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Seems a strange comparison to make free TV with a pay TV platform , considering most set ship with freeview installed. A question what are these killer features , I will give you being able to record 3 programmes is superior to Sky but what others. It seems clear to me in the US that TIVO is just for the enthusiasts and not mass market , which was proven last quarter when over 200,000 subscribers left.
What is clear is the ones who keep slagging TiVo off, seem to be the ones who have Sky as their main TV provider.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
sky sports red button and more hd channels should be another good year for us VM customers

PS welcome back DF
It will be another good year.... lot's going on behind the scenes at the minute
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39   #6086
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Quote:
Cheers Denphone
And you've been 'upgraded' to Fantastic and I won't argue with that
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40   #6087
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofrok View Post
And you've been 'upgraded' to Fantastic and I won't argue with that
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40   #6088
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
What is clear is the ones who keep slagging TiVo off, seem to be the ones who have Sky as their main TV provider.

great to hear DF
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48   #6089
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Did I or did I not say TIVO was a good product , I'm merely responding to people stating about Sky having DIFFICULTY competing with TIVO and comments like Sky killer , remember I've used VM TIVO and TIVO while in the US. There's a difference between mentioning points and flat out trashing something which I have never done
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48   #6090
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
A question what are these killer features , I will give you being able to record 3 programmes is superior to Sky but what others..
I guess the features will vary from person to person, but for me one of the great features will be whishlists.

I watch a lot of US programmes. When the new TV shows are announced at the Upfronts around May time, there are normally several new shows that look interesting. As it stands now, bearing in mind these shows don't start until September/October (in the US; who knows when in the UK?), it's a case of trying to find out if they've even been picked up by a UK channel, let alone which one and when they start. With wishlists, you let Tivo do all that monitoring for you; add the show as a whishlist item and it will pick it up and record it if and when a UK channel show it.

It's the same with actors, directors etc.; just add them to a whishlist and Tivo will record programmes with them in.

Tivo will also make suggestions as to shows that might appeal to you. I believe Sky does that but you need to buy an ipad to get that now (I read somewhere that Sky may be bringing that functionality into the EPG later this year?)

I also like season and episode information, actors, directors, producers etc. all will be available on my Tivo screen rather than having to switch the PC on to check digiguide and visit Epguides.com and IMDB

Then there are apps; VM are talking about far more apps than you get on your current connected TVs/BR players. Cindy Rose said there would be hundreds in a years time.
Closed Thread