Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:27   #6061
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well my 1TB TiVo is sitting at 47% used simply because everything I record is HD now and most of that is movies, mostly for keeping to watch at some point as TV shows get watched as soon as possible. I prefer the ability to keep all the stuff I want so I can watch when I want, rather than before the HDD fills up as it would if I only had 500GB.
I appreciate that that is your opinion.

IMHO It does not matter whether the stored material is a movie or anything else. I still don't see how you could watch all 120 hours of HD material. You are simply using up part of your storage for archived material.

I see the extra disk space being used to record suggestions which you may watch or just delete.

For me 0.5TB will be more than adequate for my normal viewing and recording suggestions. I don't feel the need to keep copies of things.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27   #6062
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I think it was priced like this for demand reasons , people upgrading and the mass exodus from Sky.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33   #6063
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post

IMHO It does not matter whether the stored material is a movie or anything else. I still don't see how you could watch all 120 hours of HD material. You are simple using up part of your storage for archived material.

I see the extra disk space being used to record suggestions which you may watch or just delete.

For me 0.5TB will be more than adequate for my normal viewing and recording suggestions. I don't feel the need to keep copies of things.
I agree, in my opinion the 500Gb box has got the potential to be a hit with many more mainstream customers.

How many 1TB PVR's do you see on the highstreet? Not many if any and for good reason.

Sky's 1TB box sales are tiny, that's why they don't subsidise it as most people don't need one.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35   #6064
nick_f
Inactive

nick_f is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replys guys

Can anyone with TiVo tell me if the recommendations and apps consume HD space or have separate storage?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36   #6065
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_f View Post
Thanks for replys guys

Can anyone with TiVo tell me if the recommendations and apps consume HD space or have separate storage?
The recommendations/suggestions are simply recordings so use up your space.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42   #6066
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

IMHO It does not matter whether the stored material is a movie or anything else. I still don't see how you could watch all 120 hours of HD material. You are simply using up part of your storage for archived material.

You and the majority of the UK , if the switch to Mpeg 4 came at some point as well on a 500gb HDD you'd be looking around 120 hrs HD recording time.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:43   #6067
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Suggestions don't seem to impact on storage space so they must be stored on a seperate partion. I could be wrong though.

Same with old shows sent to the trash bin, they don't count toward the storage.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:45   #6068
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yes and no... while suggestions will take up HDD space, your available recording space will not be affected.

If TiVo runs out of HDD space, then older suggestions are deleted to make room

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
I agree, in my opinion the 500Gb box has got the potential to be a hit with many more mainstream customers.

How many 1TB PVR's do you see on the highstreet? Not many if any and for good reason.

Sky's 1TB box sales are tiny, that's why they don't subsidise it as most people don't need one.
Do you have any source for that?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46   #6069
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
All I am saying is that given how you got Tivo it might be an idea for you to be more understanding of your own customers concerns. They registered over 4 months ago and rightly or wrongly seem to have genuine concerns about the offer that was made. I assume you have seen the straw poll result which for a mostly supportive forum like this makes very bad reading for Virgin.
How I got it is nothing to do with it. Once I have to give this box back I will be paying the cost for the box and the £40 to get the TiVo 1TB installed and on my own customer account and am happy to do so.

I also know plenty of colleagues who have taken up the 1TB and were happy to pay the cost of the box and the £40.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53   #6070
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You and the majority of the UK , if the switch to Mpeg 4 came at some point as well on a 500gb HDD you'd be looking around 120 hrs HD recording time.
The 500gb TiVo is the real game changer as far as the masses go... the 1TB is our premium TiVo product.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Quote:
How I got it is nothing to do with it. Once I have to give this box back I will be paying the cost for the box and the £40 to get the TiVo 1TB installed and on my own customer account and am happy to do so.

I also know plenty of colleagues who have taken up the 1TB and were happy to pay the cost of the box and the £40.[/
Yep, same here.. plenty have had to pay up for a 1TB TiVo.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54   #6071
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

[QUOTE=Digital Fanatic;35205683]The 500gb TiVo is the real game changer as far as the masses go... the 1TB is our premium TiVo product.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Quote:

I also know plenty of colleagues who have taken up the 1TB and were happy to pay the cost of the box and the £40.[/QUOTE]

Yep, same here.. plenty have had to pay up for a 1TB TiVo.
So the demise of Sky starts when this game changer launches.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16   #6072
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Why do you have to bring Sky in to this?

It's a game changer for VM customers, nothing to do with Sky.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23   #6073
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Why do you have to bring Sky in to this?

It's a game changer for VM customers, nothing to do with Sky.
Because many have stated on here its a Sky killer , a few pages back a mod stated Sky can't compete with TIVO
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26   #6074
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:

How has my post you quoted got anything to do with Sky??
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31   #6075
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
I think Stuart is having a funny turn please sit down and count to ten Stuart
I'm not.

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
Because many have stated on here its a Sky killer , a few pages back a mod stated Sky can't compete with TIVO
If you are referring to me, I didn't say that. I said:

Quote:
Personally, I like to think I am neutral. If I think someone would be better served by Sky, I say so. In this case, however, I think Tivo is something Sky will have difficulty competing with.
Saying something is difficult does not mean it cannot be done.
Closed Thread