Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:46   #5941
Dean Ashton
cf.member

Services: VIP50 + TiVo
Dean Ashton is just really niceDean Ashton is just really niceDean Ashton is just really niceDean Ashton is just really niceDean Ashton is just really niceDean Ashton is just really nice
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky never charged once the sky+ charge was dropped on sky+ boxes and the VM XL was like for like pricing with Skys 6 mix so work that out and there was no HD or charge then.
It might look like that, but you've no information as to whether Sky's internal costs have changed during that period, and whether the EPG costs were effectively absorbed.

Personally I think it's pretty simple. If you don't like the cost (either for TiVo or the per-monthly service charge), then don't pay it. I guess I don't quite understand why people still view it negatively when it's optional, but I appreciate that everyone's got different bones to pick when it comes to Virgin Media's operations.

Anyway, have a good weekend!
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56   #5942
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ashton View Post
It might look like that, but you've no information as to whether Sky's internal costs have changed during that period, and whether the EPG costs were effectively absorbed.

Personally I think it's pretty simple. If you don't like the cost (either for TiVo or the per-monthly service charge), then don't pay it. I guess I don't quite understand why people still view it negatively when it's optional, but I appreciate that everyone's got different bones to pick when it comes to Virgin Media's operations.

Anyway, have a good weekend!
I do agree in principal about a charge included in sky sub somewhere , however I feel once the only PVR option with VM is TIVO , Sky will swoop on this charge in comparisons , especially when you think Sky premium customers on VM pay 7.00 add TIVO and your at Skys HD charge. Stephen stated on here that all TIVO PVR boxes would incur the 3.00 charge.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

You have a good weekend to mate.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:00   #5943
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ashton View Post

If everyone was forced into upgrading to TiVo, then I can see cause for complaint, but this is not the case.
You are right that people aren't forced into Tivo, but HD channels are forcing them to make some sort of choice.

20 hours HD recording on the V+ box doesn't cut it anymore.

So, people are looking at three choices:

Tivo

V+ (which doesn't cut it for HD recording)

Sky HD, with 60 hours recording

I think Virgin need to address their customer base who want HD and enough space to record it but don't want to pay the extra £3 for Tivo functionality, otherwise, they may see some people heading over to Sky.

TBH, I think it's pointless focusing on 'the £3 Tivo charge'. You should look at the overall cost of the package for the services you want and compare that between providers. But sadly, people aren't doing that and are letting one aspect of the charge dominate their thinking rather than considering the overall costs.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20   #5944
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Wheres Digital Fantastic hes been very quiet lately, he has not done a Lord Lucan has he.
Its always nice to hear his poetic words.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22   #5945
scrooge
Inactive

scrooge is on a distinguished roadscrooge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
You are right that people aren't forced into Tivo, but HD channels are forcing them to make some sort of choice.

20 hours HD recording on the V+ box doesn't cut it anymore.

So, people are looking at three choices:

Tivo

V+ (which doesn't cut it for HD recording)

Sky HD, with 60 hours recording

I think Virgin need to address their customer base who want HD and enough space to record it but don't want to pay the extra £3 for Tivo functionality, otherwise, they may see some people heading over to Sky.

TBH, I think it's pointless focusing on 'the £3 Tivo charge'. You should look at the overall cost of the package for the services you want and compare that between providers. But sadly, people aren't doing that and are letting one aspect of the charge dominate their thinking rather than considering the overall costs.
VM should give users the option of upgrading the hard drives in V+ boxes but I can see that option canabalising sales of Tivo
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35   #5946
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Wheres Digital Fantastic hes been very quiet lately, he has not done a Lord Lucan has he.
Its always nice to hear his poetic words.
Maybe he's
a) working
b) fed up of the abuse
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:42   #5947
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Angry Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Maybe he's
a) working
b) fed up of the abuse
I do not believe in abuse on any forum.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44   #5948
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Indeed, checking back thru my bills I see I knocked £13.53/month one year with VM by having a rant about their CS and agreeing to sign up for another 12 month contract. There will certainly be ways to absorb that cost if you play it right.

Boz
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58   #5949
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I must say that I've had the opposite recently. On thursday, all suggestions that were available in HD recorded in HD, 4 in total. For a moment I thought they'd upgraded the software but having read your comments, obviously not.
I was hoping they had,Must admit i have had my suggestions turned off for a couple of days(sick of constant deleting) so when it suggested that in hd thought they had sorted it
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59   #5950
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
VM should give users the option of upgrading the hard drives in V+ boxes but I can see that option canabalising sales of Tivo
It's not so much that, more of why would Virgin upgrade STBs that run on a platform that will eventually be turned off?

Virgin have already stated that they will move all customers over the TiVo platform in the next few years, so that's where their investment will be
Old 02-04-2011, 13:00   #5951
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Maybe he's
a) working
b) fed up of the abuse
or

c) Licking his wounds because none of his many predictions on "Pleasant Surprises" came true!
Old 02-04-2011, 13:01   #5952
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

what u get for the 3 pound is more than u get on v+. it alot better guide cleaner, VOD is alot better easier to use. still quite a few bugs with it but it will be sorted.
Old 02-04-2011, 13:02   #5953
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
or

c) licking his wounds because none of his many predictions on "pleasant surprises" came true!
lmao :d
Old 02-04-2011, 13:17   #5954
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
lmao :d
Bet he comes back as Dean the Digital Fanatic.
Old 02-04-2011, 13:18   #5955
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

See "point b)".....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread