Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I've lost my sound!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I've lost my sound!

Old 05-09-2009, 21:27   #46
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I've lost my sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
You want to open Setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
you need to go into the device manager, drop down the 'sound video & game controllers' section (you did this earlier to post a screen shot)

- then right click on the 'realtek high definition audio' device & choose 'update driver'.

You then point the next bit to where the driver files you downloaded were extracted to & it should update the drivers.
OK Ben opened Setup.exe and downloaded. Still no sound, but now have my Realtek HD Audio Manager icon in the systems tray, and also my speakers icon, none of which are working even though volume turned up full.

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

I'm thinking, what about if I uninstalled SP2 then reinstalled it, would that perhaps work? Just a thought.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 21:33   #47
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Hmmm not sure, it might damage your windows installation if you uninstall SP2 now. Go in control panel, go into remove programs and uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and restart. Then go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false and download the Vista driver and then install it.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 21:46   #48
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Hmmm not sure, it might damage your windows installation if you uninstall SP2 now. Go in control panel, go into remove programs and uninstall Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and restart. Then go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false and download the Vista driver and then install it.
Which one do I download?
Old 05-09-2009, 21:55   #49
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)
Old 05-09-2009, 22:35   #50
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Which one do I download?
personally I wouldn't do that - as it says, often the generic drivers don't work properly with embedded sound cards & you need the specific one from your motherboard manufacturer for full compatibility.

I'd imagine this is what could have happened with the sp2 installation - it has picked up a generic driver, rather than the one 'tailored' to your machine.

Did you try the 'upgrade driver' via the device manager I outlined earlier, Tinky?
Old 05-09-2009, 22:57   #51
zing_deleted

open the manager from the taskbar and see if you can select speakers there
Old 05-09-2009, 23:05   #52
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
personally I wouldn't do that - as it says, often the generic drivers don't work properly with embedded sound cards & you need the specific one from your motherboard manufacturer for full compatibility.

I'd imagine this is what could have happened with the sp2 installation - it has picked up a generic driver, rather than the one 'tailored' to your machine.

Did you try the 'upgrade driver' via the device manager I outlined earlier, Tinky?
Too late Gaz downloaded the driver, took an age too, but still no joy. I've tried upgrade driver also, but the same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
open the manager from the taskbar and see if you can select speakers there
Zing I can now select the speakers, I have set them to full blast. I have also updated their drivers, but still nothing. Losing heart now. Do you think a system restore would help?
Old 05-09-2009, 23:07   #53
Ben B
Inactive

What is computer make/model
Old 05-09-2009, 23:11   #54
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
What is computer make/model
See post #27
Old 05-09-2009, 23:12   #55
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Too late Gaz downloaded the driver, took an age too, but still no joy. I've tried upgrade driver also, but the same result.

Zing I can now select the speakers, I have set them to full blast. I have also updated their drivers, but still nothing. Losing heart now. Do you think a system restore would help?
what audio have you tried to play? is speakers selected in both the realtek manager and under sound. This is a bit of a persistant fault you have here. Have you tested with an mp3 or something?
Old 05-09-2009, 23:16   #56
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
what audio have you tried to play? is speakers selected in both the realtek manager and under sound. This is a bit of a persistant fault you have here. Have you tested with an mp3 or something?
Tried playing CD, and music from my music files, also I can be heard on the webcam, but I can't hear the other person.
Old 05-09-2009, 23:22   #57
homealone

Try 'uninstall' the sound device in Device Manager & reboot to let it be re-detected.
Old 05-09-2009, 23:28   #58
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Try 'uninstall' the sound device in Device Manager & reboot to let it be re-detected.
Tried that I don't know how many times Gaz, starting to pull my hair out now. If you don't mind, I will leave it with you all, got to get some shut eye, past my bedtime. If anyone can come up with any reasonable suggestions, I am only too willing to give it a go. Maybe it's a lost cause.
Old 05-09-2009, 23:30   #59
zing_deleted

now you can select speakers have you tried unplugging and replugging the speakers?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51   #60
Tinky
To err is human

Situation at the moment. Have taken the side of the computer to find out make of Motherboard, I am wondering if this is the number, looks like ECS AMD690GM-M2 REV:1.OA. Does that help?